Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about a half hour of trudging through the forum's search results, I've decided this warrants its own thread.

I'm still in the process of scrounging up enough ammo (at reasonable prices) to truly break in my PT809. Until then, I'd like to get feedback from other PT809 owners (sorry, PT840 and PT845 people) as to what defense-type ammo has reliably fed through their pistol. My hope is to get a preliminary idea on what ammo to look for and what to stay away from. With ammo as scarce as it is, if I see something that others have said works well with the PT809, I want to be able to jump on it with some confidence. For instance, I don't want to spend $25 on a box of Hornady FTX ammo that someone else already discovered would catch on the feed ramp or the casing was too polished to not double-feed.

Once I have a good list, I'll shop around for a box of each and see what works reliably in my pistol before buying several boxes.

The one's I'm most interested in are Hornady Critical Defense, Federal Hydra-Shock (147gr in particular), Winchester PDX-1, Golden Saber, and that 105gr Federal Guard Dog line.

Thanks, guys! Also, we should start a sticky of some sort with a running list of confirmed ammo/holsters/sights/etc that work with the 800 series.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I shoot the Federal Hydrashock just fine. Come to think of it, my 809 hasn't balked on anything I've fed it. But I haven't put other hollow points through it other than the Hydrashock.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
I shoot Winchester Personal Defense rounds.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
My 809 is about as picky of an eater as I am, which is to say it eats anything I feed it.
I currently have Horandy CD loaded up in it, and have tried Speer Gold Dots, Federal, and Remington HP's (hand loads).

·
Registered
612 Posts
Haven't shot a lot of either one, but no issues with Hornady Critical Defense or Winchester JHP (white box?). FMJ? Dang near everything!

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I carry with Hornady Critical Defense, and ran several thru my 809C to make sure it would function properly. Had no problems at all

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Hornady Critical Defense,Federal Hydrashock just fine

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Mine seems to enjoy the critical defense and the 147gr hydrashoks. Those are the only HPs ive been able to find. I did have one FTE with the hydrashoks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I was a Air Force Combat Controller, always carried a Browning Hi-Power 9mm. It also used everything. My battlefield instructors always told me if they are that close I need my handgun (we also carried a H&K MP5), It wasn't what kind of ammo I shoot but were I put the rounds on target. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts