Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still fairly 'new' to Taurus .... and I have a question.
I just bought a 605 and I'm wondering what the reason is, for the hole in the left side of the frame in the upper grip area?
Due to the fact that it shows when using certain grips, is there anything that can be done to temporarily 'plug', or cover this hole?

·
Administrator
40,677 Posts
Could it be one of those safety locks, like on the newer Smith & Wessons?

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Shotgun12 said:
I'm 'new' to both Taurus .... and to this particular forum, and I have a question.
I just bought a 605 and I'm wondering what the reason is, for the hole in the left side of the frame in the upper grip area?
Due to the fact that it shows when using certain grips, is there anything that can be done to temporarily 'plug', or cover this hole?
That hole is just a normal part of the machining process - DON'T PLUG IT!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a shot of the hole I'm talkin' about.
I really can't see what purpose it serves .... it's not like I'm planning to weld over it or anything, it's just a PITB, because a small portion of it is visible above the top of the grip, with my Pachmayrs.
Guess I'll just have to live with it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow! That's some hole alright. Must be for assembly of the hammer spring I'd guess.

When using your after market grips you could attach a small plug of like metal to the top of those grips...sort of act as a sink stopper when the grips are put on.

TB C45

·
Registered
846 Posts
I would have thought that if the grips were made to "fit" that gun they would cover it. Have you had a chance to compare another brand of grips ? Houge maybe?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a set of Houge's that are made specifically for a Taurus, so they cover the hole just fine.

These Pachmayrs I have are older grips, and were made for a S&W 'J'.
They do of course, interchange with most other J frame 'clones' such as Rossi and Taurus .... as many Smith grips do, but they weren't made specifically for a Taurus.
S&W's may not have this same hole, so Pachmayr simply didn't allow for it in their design.
It's a shame, because I really like these grips and really don't want to buy another set, just because of this hole.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The only thing I could suggest is go to an auto supply or local dealer and look for a rubber body plug that would fit and pop into the hole, they would be black and could be cut down with a razor knife. This would not harm the gun.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just bought a 605 and my revolver has the hole also.The aftermarket Hogue grips cover it however.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wouldn't put anything in the hole that may fall in and jam things up. How about a piece of electrical tape placed over the hole and under the grip? The Hogue and CT laser grips I have cover the hole on my gun.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Your best bet would be to not use the grips that show the hole.

Like someone said, Hogue's cover the hole...or, you can make or have made a custom set of nice woodies.

Deep six the show hole grips.

TB C45

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tracker Backer C45 said:
Your best bet would be to not use the grips that show the hole.
Now there's an idea!! :thumb:

Actually I am thinking of building a set of wood grips (or maybe plastic) .... it wouldn't be the first set I've built.
And I'll probably sell this Houge .... it just doesn't fit my hand right, and I don't really care for the 'sticky' feel anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.