Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21,219 Posts

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Sounds like you're in need of some training. Find a good basic NRA handgun course in your area. You won't regret it!
3rd!
Get professional training now. It will make a world of difference. If you learn the right way from the beginning you will not develop bad habits.

Welcome to the forum and firearm ownership.

Stay safe, please.

·
Registered
21,219 Posts
Hold it as high up on the grip as you possibly can. There should be no space between your hand and the back part of the grip under the slide.
Also your thumbs should be together and pointed forward.

And Welcome from Texas! I had to get a better look at your avatar, Lost Girl is a hell of a lot better than twilight.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Welcome aboard!
I want to weigh in on the "get some professional training" side - it's a lot easier to learn the right way at first than to learn to overcome bad habits.
Congratulations, and I'm sure you are in for some enjoyable times at the range.

Reactions: btleslie and jtg452

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Ive actually took the advice on the video !my gun has been shooting alot better!!!!what is the best ammo for the millenium pt 111 pro?
What works for you in your PT-111 may not be the best for someone else in their PT-111. Most would suggest try different brands and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went to the range today tried 124 ammo aguila and american eagle had no jams or anything it was aesome !!just wonder if it was the bullets or my wrist ive been keeping my wrist tight!!!
Welcome aboard!
I want to weigh in on the "get some professional training" side - it's a lot easier to learn the right way at first than to learn to overcome bad habits.
Congratulations, and I'm sure you are in for some enjoyable times at the range.

·
Registered
21,219 Posts
Reactions: Sambuh and TXEric

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Hold it as high up on the grip as you possibly can. There should be no space between your hand and the back part of the grip under the slide.
Also your thumbs should be together and pointed forward.

And Welcome from Texas! I had to get a better look at your avatar, Lost Girl is a hell of a lot better than twilight.
Also, don't lock your elbows and shoulders. (I've seen many new shooters try to "push" the gun as far out away from them as they can with elbows and shoulders locked up. It looks almost like their holding a dirty diaper or something...) The muscles that move your shoulders and elbows are much stronger than your wrists. So, if you are tensed up in those, your wrists will (try and fail) to absorb most of the recoil energy and will likely result in the gun "flipping" up and "rolling" to the right (if you are right handed), which can contribute to short-cycling.

And don't discount the importance of a good stance. If someone can poke you in the chest and force you to step back, you're probably doing it wrong.

Remember: Control the gun, don't let the gun control you. And don't discount the value of training. Good luck!

P.S. I totally agree on 'Lost Girl'. Not good for the kids, but Bo is cool and Kenzi is awesome. ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.