Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my wife a pt740 a while back. she has A LOT of trouble with control. follow up shots space out quite a bit. i taught her to shoot with my Glock G21C, which she handles very well. recently got introduced to these Hogue grips, however i was wondering if anyone here has one on a PT740, without any mag extension. how much does it help absorb the recoil?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I added a Hogue grip to my PT740. It does give a little palm swell but the little monster is still a hot gun to shoot. My main problem with the grip is it has a tendency to turn after a while of shooting. I am thinking of removing mine.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I have the Handall Jr. installed on my 709 and I love it. I don't have any issues with it "turning" or scooting around like some have reported. I did trim just a bit off the bottom. I don't have a mag extension, as it makes it print just a bit more when I carry it IWB, and I've heard of some folks having issues with jams due to pressure on the bottom of the mag.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a trimmed JR on my 709 as well. I like it. I readjust it now and then, but not often, and not much. I removed my mag extension as well, for similar reasons.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I removed mine from both 709 and 740 due to twisting on range. I chose not to glue it or put sticky inside. Keep in mind that on range I'm shooting 50-100 or so rounds, but having to readjust several times during firing just irritated me. In an SD situation, probably just fine. In my view a waste of money and did not notice any nuanced difference in recoil felt (that's subjective of course) nor grip improvement - but that's me - YMMV.

EDIT: The Pierce mag extension for pinky was the better option in my case for both Slims.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I removed mine from both 709 and 740 due to twisting on range.
Mine doesn't twist all that much ; is it because I bought a JR for my 709?

I like it because of that one "rib" that slips between my fingers. I feel like I have a better grip on the gun.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I think it's one of those "your mileage may vary" things with the twisting - Wino and a few others have mentioned it, and several of us don't seem to have it occurring on our. Could be any number of factors involved, I guess.

I will piggyback on Wino's remark about recoil. Doesn't seem to affect my perception of recoil on the 709, at all. I just like the way it "fills out" the grip a bit, and ditto on the "rib".

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Mine doesn't twist all that much ; is it because I bought a JR for my 709?

I like it because of that one "rib" that slips between my fingers. I feel like I have a better grip on the gun.
Mine were Jr.s on both.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
that little guns got a lot of punch try turning out elbows a little and lean forward into gun from waste up. lots of ladies were taught to stand up straight and you need a little weight leaning into shoot that one

jhp
the hogue grip is going to be bigger on the pistol and may not work with Her smaller hands

I do like the hogue drips on thwe smaller guns the sig 238 and 938 with hogue make a viable conceal carry small gun for a woman

1 - 13 of 13 Posts