Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the LGS yesterday and scored a jug of Hodgdon CFE. The label says it's good for 9mm, .38 Super, .40 S&W, and .45 acp. I checked my manuals and there's no listings for it. Evidently this is a new formula. There are a few loads on the website but they are limited. Anyone ever use this stuff before ? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
Went to the LGS yesterday and scored a jug of Hodgdon CFE. The label says it's good for 9mm, .38 Super, .40 S&W, and .45 acp. I checked my manuals and there's no listings for it. Evidently this is a new formula. There are a few loads on the website but they are limited. Anyone ever use this stuff before ? Thanks in advance.
Is there a specific caliber/bullet weight combination you are looking for? Is the powder CFE Pistol?

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
It has been on LGS shelves for a while around here. Was trying to combine powders anyway instead of trying to use umpteen different types. I have used it in 9mm, 10mm, and 327 so far. It seems to be a good powder. Meters well and shoots very good, to me. It's not very dirty to shoot. So far, it has met my expectations and if all goes well with others, in time, it may become one of the only powders I use. My brother also loads 45 ACP with it and has said it works well in it also

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I believe CFE Pistol is somewhere between Unique and Power Pistol in burn rate. Haven't seen it on any of the burn rate charts yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, Fishinkeylargo, it is CFE Pistol. It looks like it would meter quite well. I loaded up my last batch of .45 acp before I bought the CFE, so I guess I'll use up the last of my Speer 125 gr. LRN's with this powder. Gonna do some unloading this Saturday; hope this stuff runs good in the wife's Combat Commander.

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
Not an exact match but a decent starting place:

From Hodgdon CFE Pistol Data

125gr Lead Conical Nose Hodgdon CFE Pistol
4.4gr 1041FPS Remarks: start load; bullet diam.: .356"; COL: 1.125"; 27,200 psi
5.0gr 1156FPS Remarks: max load; bullet diam.: .356"; COL: 1.125"; 33,000 psi

A round nose bullet may have a slightly shorter COL due to bullet design. If not working near the top of the load data it should be fine.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Have not seen this where I get my powders, but will be looking for it to try when it becomes available.

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
haven't used it myself,
I think its one of the newer introductions, seen the rifle but no pistol or I would have likely bought it.
IF Accurate don't get back to work making some powder I am going to need to find something else for sure!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I grabbed one of each so I could have an opinion and for what I shoot they will be good back up powders. I have not used either yet but know people shooting both with success.

CFE = Copper Fouling Eraser (IIRC)
A nice side effect if it proves out but copper fouling is not a big problem for me on the other hand.

Reactions: HD-Mike

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Hodgdon comes out the first of every year with a new load manual. They are not expensive, usually in the Walmart or book store magazine racks. Worth the few dollars in load data. The 2014 issue had data and burn rate was between Winchester auto comp and Ramshot Silhouette powders.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I ran across one lb a while back i am trying to establish base line with 45 colt and M450. 8.4 with 260 lfn yielded 622 avg. the one thing that kind of bothers me is it does leave soot on the cartridge. none of the other powders do that...at least not to the extent that the CFE does. it does seem clean burning. I am beginning to think that it works better with smaller cartridges or longer barrel. we will see. i am going to bump it up a bit to get 700fps from the 2 inch barrel. I may save this for the 40 S&W.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I have some CFE for my .223 and I noticed that CFE Pistol was introduced but haven't tried it. I have to many powders as it is. Let us know how it works for you!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TheOldRedneck is right again ! I was at the grocery last night, and lo and behold, the new Hodgdon reloading manual was right there in the magazine rack. Lots of good info in it. I'm going to put this CFE Pistol powder to work after Christmas....(if Santa comes thru again, that is.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts