Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just quoting Daffy Duck there, guys.
But this story might do just as well in the Funny Farm section.

So I'm at the shooting range today. I've recently acquired a 1911 pistol, hadn't fired it, and was unsure whether I was putting it back together correctly. Asked for an opinion from one of the R.O.s and he looked it over, told me I'd done it right, then field stripped it and showed me how to put it back together with no muss, no fuss. Good guy and really helpful.

Then I mentioned how little money I had tied up in the pistol due to some trading and he said, "You're better off this way. I'd take a 1911 over a Taurus any day."
"Really?" I said. "What about the Taurus PT1911?"
He shook his head. "No way. They make them out of soft metal. Couple hundred rounds through them and they're toast."

Well... I thought it was funny.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
He must have gotten a hold of the new all lead pt1911. Be careful around your smelter with them.

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
Just quoting Daffy Duck there, guys.
But this story might do just as well in the Funny Farm section.

So I'm at the shooting range today. I've recently acquired a 1911 pistol, hadn't fired it, and was unsure whether I was putting it back together correctly. Asked for an opinion from one of the R.O.s and he looked it over, told me I'd done it right, then field stripped it and showed me how to put it back together with no muss, no fuss. Good guy and really helpful.

Then I mentioned how little money I had tied up in the pistol due to some trading and he said, "You're better off this way. I'd take a 1911 over a Taurus any day."
"Really?" I said. "What about the Taurus PT1911?"
He shook his head. "No way. They make them out of soft metal. Couple hundred rounds through them and they're toast."

Well... I thought it was funny.
You didn't laugh so I will. Bwaaahaaahaaahaaa!

·
Super Moderator
40,725 Posts
Well I guess I better trash mine, it has nearly 1000 rounds fired and I have not had a single problem, that includes the 2 cheap ProMags someone gave me. I actually use them more then the Factory mags.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
If ignorance is bliss, he must be a very happy camper! :p

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Well I guess I better trash mine, it has nearly 1000 rounds fired and I have not had a single problem, that includes the 2 cheap ProMags someone gave me. I actually use them more then the Factory mags.

Feel free to send it to me. I don't mind, after all its practically toast anyway :)

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
i guess some taurus have 9 lives cause ive gotten over 7000 rounds thru mine now
jhp

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Probably Sam Colts great-great grandson.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
If ignorance is bliss, he must be a very happy camper! :p
Ah...you said it better than I could have, so I'll "Amen" your astute observation. :)

·
10,379 Posts
Well crap, if that's the case then Taurus screwed up again cause mine's somewhere in the neighborhood of 20k and still flawless. I think your RO should stick to helping people field strip their guns and stay away from bumpin' his gums.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Give him my address in case he ever needs to dispose of any left behind. I am quite sure the next one will be the first.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Stupidty knows no bounds.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The soft metal issue arose during WWI, in France. They were buying guns hand-over-fist, and the Spanish Basque gun-makers were going nuts supplying small hand-guns to them. They overwhelmed the local manufacturers, who began using the cottage industry of gun-making for parts. Some of these people, faced with ever more orders, and local shortages of steel, started using anything steel that they could find. The result was an influx of sub-standard parts, which wore quickly. The legend has been with us since then.

First, it was ALL Spanish pistols that used "soft steel", then the Spanish Mausers. Now, we hear of it in Charter Arms, and apparently, Taurus. I was involved in another thread on a 1911 forum, where one of the members was blathering on about how Taurus 1911s used soft steel. When pressed about what he meant, he said that a sear broke when in a stoning fixture. From his description, it was apparent that, if anything, the part in question was too hard, brittle. I mentioned this, and he suddenly was talking about Taurus's "too hard" parts. His sudden reversal of direction was picked up on, and multiple members piled on him.

I once had a man tell me that modern Colts were too soft, not like the WWII era pieces that he had bought as a young man. Oddly, in the interests of expediency, during WWII, slides of 1911 pistols were only selectively hardened at wear points. Today's 1911 pistols are fully hardened. It's amazing what a little knowledge can do in the hands of the careless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts