Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hittin' 50 in three weeks - and the doc wants to "capture the moment" on an internal

So the big Five-Oh is going to smack me upside the noggin in a few weeks. During today's physical, the doc informed me that his team of people would be giving me the "closest of inspections."

I hope they put me out for this. I'm betting it won't be too much fun.

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Praying for you....

·
Registered
429 Posts
You'll get used to it...just make sure your bladder is empty, or you'll dribble. Drink your coffee and about an hour later, use the john, then shower. Trust me. At 62, been there, done that a few times.

It's all routine.

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Good grief, that's some terrifying advice...

You'll get used to it...just make sure your bladder is empty, or you'll dribble. Drink your coffee and about an hour later, use the john, then shower. Trust me. At 62, been there, done that a few times.

It's all routine.

Reactions: Drewski and Stugots

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
On the plus side, it may take a few days but they will call you:D

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You will take stuf the previous day to "clear the way". Then they will knock you out and you wont know what hit ya.
Aint nuthin.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Elbows on the table. #glovelove

·
Registered
24,543 Posts
Oh, I can see it now. The full Monty with the plumbing inspection, square needles and all. You will love it. Think of it as a new phase in your life because it now happens much more frequently than before.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
The worst part of all, if you are going to have a colonoscopy, is the preparation the day before the procedure. The procedure its self, you want even know it happened until you are in the recovery room. I get an endoscopy every year and every three years I get the colonoscopy, which means, I get both at the same time. I always tell the Doc to do the endoscopy first, because when I wake up, I don't want a bad taste in my mouth!:shocked::D:D:D

·
Registered
832 Posts
I get borescoped every 5 years for the last 15 years and as folks have mentioned the prep is the only bad part.

The importance of this can not be understated! My wife had been putting off her check for 3 years (after her 50th) and her family Doc had been bugging her every year to get it done. Even though there was no family history, no indication/symptoms it was just something that should be done by everyone when they turn 50, said the Doc. My wife being a nurse seldom does what Doc's say, but last year she wanted to be able to say, "yes, I've got it done" when the Doc asked.

Long story, short - Jan 8th of next year will be the 1 year anniversary of her last Chemo treatment. In April of 2013 they found a almond sized growth in the Colon, turned out it was malignant. They removed 6~8" of the Colon along with 12 lymph nodes that surround the area. Unfortunately it had spread to 1 of the 12 and the Chemo regiment was required. Every 2 weeks for 6 month she went through 6 hours of "treatment". Just as her body was starting to recover from one treatment, it was time for the next. We had to delay 2 of the treatments due to her body not being strong enough to take the punishment of the Chemo.

In Aug of this year, she received a clean bill of health, no evidence of Metastatic Disease. We have 3 to 5 years on monitoring (blood work, CT scans, Borescopes etc) but that ain't bad considering. She is in good health with the exception of neuropathy in the hands and feet, a side effect of the Chemo treatment.

So folks just do it, don't worry about the prep, embarrassment, the whatever that keeps us from doing something we know we should do!

Your family will thank you for it.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I get borescoped every 5 years for the last 15 years and as folks have mentioned the prep is the only bad part.

The importance of this can not be understated! My wife had been putting off her check for 3 years (after her 50th) and her family Doc had been bugging her every year to get it done. Even though there was no family history, no indication/symptoms it was just something that should be done by everyone when they turn 50, said the Doc. My wife being a nurse seldom does what Doc's say, but last year she wanted to be able to say, "yes, I've got it done" when the Doc asked.

Long story, short - Jan 8th of next year will be the 1 year anniversary of her last Chemo treatment. In April of 2013 they found a almond sized growth in the Colon, turned out it was malignant. They removed 6~8" of the Colon along with 12 lymph nodes that surround the area. Unfortunately it had spread to 1 of the 12 and the Chemo regiment was required. Every 2 weeks for 6 month she went through 6 hours of "treatment". Just as her body was starting to recover from one treatment, it was time for the next. We had to delay 2 of the treatments due to her body not being strong enough to take the punishment of the Chemo.

In Aug of this year, she received a clean bill of health, no evidence of Metastatic Disease. We have 3 to 5 years on monitoring (blood work, CT scans, Borescopes etc) but that ain't bad considering. She is in good health with the exception of neuropathy in the hands and feet, a side effect of the Chemo treatment.

So folks just do it, don't worry about the prep, embarrassment, the whatever that keeps us from doing something we know we should do!

Your family will thank you for it.
A moving report indeed. Thank you for sharing and I am glad your wife is making a strong recovery.

I have been after my wife to have it done, but she is hardheaded as granite bolder! Maybe I can get her to go in 2015.

Reactions: NCSmokey

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Reactions: jonrjen and Texheim

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I wish i was 50 again !!! I was 165-lbs and alot stronger and more than $40k richer !! Only i smoked and had to have a stent put in ..... , but if i were 50 i would be a heck of alot smarter and not got into debt and watched my weight and have alot more fun !!

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts