Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone up on the history of the Model 66, when it was first launched, any design changes etc. A buddy of mine put a video of the Taurus 66 up on YouTube and compared it's overall look to the S&W 686. I mentioned to him that Smith often copied Taurus, rather than the other way around - an example being the Taurus Judge. So now it has me curious. I had always assumed the 66 was a copy of the S&W Model 66. Did Taurus make a design change that Smith later incorporated into the 686 or was it visa versa?

· Registered
16,448 Posts
Anyone up on the history of the Model 66, when it was first launched, any design changes etc. A buddy of mine put a video of the Taurus 66 up on YouTube and compared it's overall look to the S&W 686. I mentioned to him that Smith often copied Taurus, rather than the other way around - an example being the Taurus Judge. So now it has me curious. I had always assumed the 66 was a copy of the S&W Model 66. Did Taurus make a design change that Smith later incorporated into the 686 or was it visa versa?
The S&W came out in 72 and I believe the Taurus was late 70's like 77 or 78. So Taurus copied the Smith design and made changes to the trigger assembly. I also believe the Barrel was much more accurate on the Taurus over the Smith.

Reactions: jwc007

· Banned
1,582 Posts
Here is an interesting website dealing with firearms in the movies. On this page you have many of the Taurus handguns and their dates of manufacture.
They're not exactly famous for factual accuracy. For instance, they say the Model 80 started production in 1980. Baloney. I've held in my hand M80s that are at least ten years older.

9,962 Posts
There is always cloning going on between revolver makers. For example I view the Taurus 669 as similar to the SW 686, and the Taurus 668 as a version of the Colt Python. But like you I always thought the Taurus 65 and 66 were clones of the SW versions.

· Administrator
36,655 Posts
I'm unsure of the exact year that the model 66 became a 7 shot revolver, it could have been as late as the 00's when that happened. The gun surely has seen some transition since its birth.

· Registered
1,788 Posts
There is always cloning going on between revolver makers. For example I view the Taurus 669 as similar to the SW 686...
Yeah... whoopie... someone has mentioned MY Taurus.. that doesn't happen often. Of course you could say I'm a little biased, but the 669 is a truly gorgeous revolver. It will only pass on from me when my hands are dead and cold..

Reactions: CDR_Glock

· Registered
574 Posts
I believe the Taurus 65 6 shot 357 was the equivalent of the S&W 686, then Taurus introduced the 66 which was 7 shots, and shortly after that S&W came out with the 686 Plus, which was a 7 shot 686.

· Registered
75 Posts
The S&W model 66 is a S&W model 19, but in stainless steel. The model 19 was introduced in the late 50s, I think 1957.

· Super Moderator
36,395 Posts
I have an early 80s 66 and an early 90s 66. The later gun has a beefier, larger frame that is enough bigger that it won't fit in an older 66 holster. Both guns are 6 shooters. The holster my 80s 66 fits is for a K frame, also. My Smith M10 fits it perfectly.

I'm not really sure how the 7 shooters fit in.

· Super Moderator
36,395 Posts
BTW - that tends to corroborate my belief the 66 was originally a copy of the S&W Model 66. Now when did the 66 change to look more like the 686?
The 686 is a different gun on a larger frame that came out in the mid 80s IRRC. I believe my mid 90s taurus 66 is on a similar frame. The 686 is called an L frame. The M66 Smith is a K frame gun.

· Administrator
36,655 Posts
The model 66 7 shot is a cross between a larger K frame S&W and an L frame. It would probably fit in a K frame holster, but it might be snug.

· Super Moderator
36,395 Posts
Actually Taurus had a med frame 6 shot Model 66 before the 7 shot, I had a nice satin nickel 6" one back In the early 90's.
Yep, I have a 6 shot nickel plated 66 from the 90s. I'll never sell or trade it, it's too accurate. i'm a sucker for accuracy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts