Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have any feedback on these particular weopons? I've heard these are outstanding for the money but feedback from you folks would be thankful..

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I have a reg 995 and a 995TS, and find both of them shoot straight and great. Only limited by the 10 round magazines. 3rd party magazines are still suspect, last I heard. There are a few on the forum, but if you really want the skinny, there are a couple of HiPoint forums on the web....

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've got a 995TS. It's reliable, and a lot of fun to shoot. I'll echo the magazine capicity issue. Wish you could get reliable high caps.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
"Righty' another guy here has one and swears buy it. I am looking at the KelTec Sub2000 becuase I have a Glock 17 with a crap load of magazines and they are interchangeable so it's a no brainer for me. From what I hear the High Point Carbines are a solid value.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Some of the best values out there just like their pistols. And folks who have the carbines seem to like them even more than they do the pistols -- and that's saying something! :D

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Gotta say that this thread is a breath of fresh air. Used to go to another gun forum and on that one, both Taurus and High Point were constantly ridiculed. I have a couple of Tauri, but no High Points. But from those who own them, I've heard nothing but praise. I've shot both the 9mm and .45 pistols and find them to be accurate and reliable. No experience with the carbines. But here' you'll get the straight skinny and not a bunch of crap from gun snobs who "heard" that they were not a quality firearm.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Excellent weapon, i consider it my poor man's assault rifle. I have the 995TS which is so much fun to shoot it's ridiculous, even my 7 year old daughter loves shooting it. I wish it had a larger magazine capacity, but extra mags directly from Hi-Point are cheap and can come packaged with a double-sided, bolt-on magazine cradle. Here's a picture of mine that i bought for $249 at the time, add about $100 bucks total for the bipod, red dot scope, and laser to replace the iron sight system, which was actually really accurate right out the box.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Kel Tec Sub 2000 9mm look pretty sweet and affordable, might have to concider that one also ..Hmmmmm decisions decisions...

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I love shooting my 995TS - no issues, and VERY accurate. I've got a buddy that has the .40S&W & loves his too.

I have a couple ProMag 15 magazines that have functioned perfectly for me...

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Everyone I know swears by them. I have a 4095 and really like it. I have had no problems with it. +1 on the mags though

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
The Kel Tec Sub 2000 9mm look pretty sweet and affordable, might have to concider that one also ..Hmmmmm decisions decisions...
The Kel Tec's are pretty sweet, especially if you have a few Glock magazines laying around.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The HP carbines, 995TS and 4095TS, are like AK or SKS. You got to have one in your collection. They are fun and affordable.
I have a 995TS for 2 years without any issue. It is my range toy and family HD weapon.
Get one to share ammo with you pistol; you will like it.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Started looking for a pistol-cal carbine, looked at the usual recommendations -- Beretta, HK, Kel-tec. Also looked at the prices. Hmmm.

Came across a good buy on a High Point, took it home. Haven't been sorry. People who come across as gun snobs at the range get a completely different idea when they get to play with one.

The downsides -- the magazine issue. Only 10 rounds from the factory, and after-market mags only give 15, are unreliable, potentially damaging, need significant tuning (more like "reworking"). Some complaints about cheek scuff, but that's more technique than the gun's fault.

But the upside? Fun. Accurate. Reliable. Takes any (ANY) 9mm I feed it, asks for more. TS has rails, also retrofit stock with rails available for earlier model.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've had mine for only a month and a half and its had close to 700 rounds through it. I tried one ProMag 15 round magazine and had good success, so I got two more. I easily go though ammunition faster than I can purchase it, so reloading may be in my future.

Below is the result of 30 rounds at 25 yards using the standard open sights . . . .

·
Registered
545 Posts
Old 995 here. Excellent little carbine. Fun, reliable, accurate.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The one with the red dot scope v the magnifying scope or any red dot v magnifying scope for that matter which one is more useful?

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I think it depends on what you're using it for. Close quarters, under 100 yards, the red dot is more than adequate for fast target acquisition. The magnifying scope is good if you're trying for pinpoint precision at 100 yards or better, but adjusting for the energy loss at longer distances may be hard. You can go with the best of both worlds and get a magnifying red dot that will bolt right on the rails, but i enjoy having the non-powered red dot on mine at the range.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts