1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
14,704 Posts
I am surprised the dogs did not start barking and wake the bear up.

I'm not sure how fast a bear can wake up and get his wits together enough to chase you and would not want to find out. :eek:

·
Registered
5,922 Posts

I'm not sure how fast a bear can wake up and get his wits together enough to chase you and would not want to find out. :eek:

Sounds like an experiment for some youtube idiot with a pack of bottle rockets and a camera! :cool:

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Well, I don't know how fast a bear can come out of a hibernation sleep either, but that situation could have turned ugly. Just think how grumpy we are when someone wakes us from a sound sleep.:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
11,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I think the dogs were smart enough to not bark, and leave. It was the human that was unaware. Fortunately he didn't have someone with him to have a conversation with, and wake up the bear.

Come to think of it, didn't Marty Stouffer get his start doing something like that?

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Geez! I hope they don't turn this into another Reality Show!! :icon_rolleyes:

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
12,089 Posts
Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Common Sense!!!
I always heard to let a sleeping dog lay so I think that would be the intelligent thing to do in this case. I also don't poke Hornet Nests with a stick

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I think the dogs were smart enough to not bark, and leave. It was the human that was unaware. Fortunately he didn't have someone with him to have a conversation with, and wake up the bear.

Come to think of it, didn't Marty Stouffer get his start doing something like that?
Yeah, that dog had more sense than their knuckleheaded master, that's for sure! It took one look at that pile of fur, got one whiff of the bear smell and decided it wanted to go somewhere else. It would have been a major "Oh, $#@2" moment for that dog! :D

Reactions: RScottie

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
A buddy of mine and I were hunting in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and he accidently stepped on a hibernating bear. We were in the Hiawatha National Forrest south east of Marquette, MI. The forest was very dense with lots of tall pine and maple trees forming the main canopy of the forest. The floor of the forest was actually a sub floor. In places, where a tree had fallen at sometime in the past, It would soon be covered over with dead leaves, pine needles, and small branches. The dead leaves would eventually, over the years, completely cover the downed tree and form a new layer of soil from the decaying leaves and pine needles. Small plants, trees, and weeds would start to grow in the new soil and pretty soon you have two layers of soil with a space in between them, sort of like a den or small cave. Walking over one of these "hills" was not easy as they were usually peppered with small saplings 3" - 4" in diameter and pretty close together. You had to sling your gun, and squeeze and twist around and through these saplings.

The black bears would tunnel into these sub surface pockets and den up in them. We were working our way toward a blind about four miles into the forest in the dark about 4:00 am. My buddy and I were walking side by side and we were crossing one of these hills. He put his foot down and hit a soft spot and his foot and leg went right through the soil into the hole beneath and he stepped on a bear, which promptly let out a huge roar that scared the bejeepers out of both of us. It was so dark you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, and the saplings didn't allow you the opportunity to run. We could hear the bear but we couldn't see it, nor could we bring a gun up to shoot if we did see it because we were tangled in the trees. So, he managed to get his leg and foot pulled back up and out of the hole, and we just kept moving until we were over the hill and back onto the main floor of the forest. Once in the open we were able to move along at a better pace. Never did see the bear, and I suspect it just went back to sleep. I think we were both still a little rattled even after we made it to our blind.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Geez Skiff. Very glad I am, that your buddy was able to retrieve his foot & leg. Intact! ;)

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Buddy of mine volunteered to help tag hibernating bears with the dnr. He said they pulled one big guy half out with great difficulty only to realize it wasn't tangled, it was pulling itself back in. They failed to tag that one...

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
It's YouTube, not a bastion filled with newly minted MENSA candidates.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I bet the experience was new to the bear too. I'd be grumpy as hell if I got stepped on while sleeping. Glad no one pursued the matter and go hurt.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
You should have bought him some of those furry bear paw slippers with the fake claws on the front!

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
I've been to mensa ... they ain't so smart. Or maybe so smart, they didn't have any sense?
Actually most are so intelligent they have trouble relating to a world that can't relate to them or how their minds work
and they have trouble with social interactions and standards.
It's not because they don't have any sense, it's because what is important to most of us doesn't register to them.
Their minds don't work like ours. It isn't good or bad, it is just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts