Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my friends, and it quit feeding and working..told him i would try to clean it and see if that helped...I can not find any info on this gun..did many searches online for any info(Manuals, Who made it...ect..)

Have any of you heard of this gun or have one.... ;)

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
It looks remarkably like the J. C. Higgins, Sears and Roebuck 22 that I have. But I notice the charging handle is different, mine has a lock back slot when retracted. Of course this could be a later "improved model".
I am not for sure who Sears had make those guns, but for some reason Savage name comes to mind. The Hiawatha name strikes a bell, but not sure why. My own mother worked at sears for years, which was why I wound up with mine.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I finally get a chance to sound smart!! The Hiawatha was a "store brand" gun. Years ago, there were many of these guns sold by the likes of Sears, Western Auto, J.C. Penney ( and you wonder why they called it "The Good Old Days"!! ) & etc.
The Hiawatha was sold by Gamble stores - see link

All these guns were sold by stores with (usually) the stores names stamped on them but... the guns were made by Mossberg, Winchester, Marlin, Hi-standard, etc. etc.
Your friends was made by.......SAVAGE! specifically a savage model 187.

Parts may be able to be found here

Tell your friend I'll give him $ 25 for it..... :D

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
TitaniumMan, TY for confirming what I thought about Savage being involved in that gun. I think Montgomery Ward was the place that I remember it from but it may have been many stores.

I just knew it was a "house" brand thing. :???: You made me feel like I am not as dumb as I look!! :D

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YA All r perty Smart.... ;)
thanks for the replies

TitaniumMan ...that was a cool link about the store....Hmmmmm..wonder if this is worth 4 Bits now..lol :) :)
Again thanks for the info...i got it apart today...was messing around with the back and a peice screws off, then you can remove eveything..too cool :p
Man it was dirty..but now it works like a champ...

Robbie...thanks for the info too...and for even taking a chance at answering this..i was stumped this morning

THANKS GUYS :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts