Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello just picked up some hi tek coated bullets from missouri bullet company with a bh of 18. Do you guys and gals just load to lead data or higher? Have been seeing different answers when I search this topic. Some people load them hot some just use lead.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Missouri BC is okay but they provide absolutely no ballistic data on their bullets (suggested loads, max velocities, and what not)

A typical rule of thumb is to start with 10% below minimum charge for a similar weight standard jacketed bullet. What caliber did you order?

The only bullets I have bought from them are 300BLK, 8mm Mauser, and Mosin Nagant 7.62 (.311 dia) bullets, and they all work fine, but it has been my experience that anything over about 1500 fps causes them to fly a little wonky. At about 1700 fps, the group spreads out to about 1 minute of barn door...

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
9,091 Posts
I ran my first batch from them - 38 special 125grn RNFP coated. Used 3.9 grains of HP-38. They ran good in both my Taurus 627 and Ruger Gp100. Seated on the top band on the bullet. I noticed about a 20-30% reduction in recoil from a factory load same weight. Accuracy was good enough to hit a 10" plate at 40 yards consistently. I too was noodling over the BHN as my calc's for that bullet called for a softer bullet, but that was using Missouri bullets CUP pressure readings not PSI. So my formula results were not helpful. Maybe our senior reloaders will weigh in.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
To be fair, I really haven't pushed the Missouri bullets to any silly velocity but have fiddled around with SNS Casting and some other coated bullets. At normal handgun velocities, they shoot just fine. Coated bullets in general are just as accurate as jacketed and perform well, even from my 10mm with hot loads.

Rifle bullets are another story (and a whole 'nuther magnitude of velocity)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Under the poly-coating, it's just a hard cast at 18 BHN. Cast bullet data should be used. The Hi-Tek coating is just a proprietary brand. Blue Bullets use their own poly-coating as do some others.

MBC are pretty decent, but all things considered as far as quality and price, we've been pleased with SNS Casting for several years now. One of the best options that MBC has that very few others offer is 12 BHN poly-coated for .38 Sp. I'd have to look to remember if they do them in .45 as well.;)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Missouri BC is okay but they provide absolutely no ballistic data on their bullets (suggested loads, max velocities, and what not)

A typical rule of thumb is to start with 10% below minimum charge for a similar weight standard jacketed bullet. What caliber did you order?

The only bullets I have bought from them are 300BLK, 8mm Mauser, and Mosin Nagant 7.62 (.311 dia) bullets, and they all work fine, but it has been my experience that anything over about 1500 fps causes them to fly a little wonky. At about 1700 fps, the group spreads out to about 1 minute of barn door...

Ordered the .357mag action! Grooveless. They have a crimping groove just no lube groove. Have seen fortune cookie 45lc and elvis ammo on youtube push them into full magnum jackted data with good results. But rifle data seems 50/50 some people say they are good some people say they are off

·
Registered
969 Posts
Ordered the .357mag action! Grooveless. They have a crimping groove just no lube groove. Have seen fortune cookie 45lc and elvis ammo on youtube push them into full magnum jackted data with good results. But rifle data seems 50/50 some people say they are good some people say they are off
Hard cast bullets can be pushed as fast as jacketed, however, that will require a slightly lower charge than used for the jacketed.;)

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Hard cast bullets can be pushed as fast as jacketed, however, that will require a slightly lower charge than used for the jacketed.;)
Exactly that. I think that the lead and poly coating is still a bit softer than a copper jacket, meaning that it will "slide" down the barrel a bit easier (conforms more readily to the lands and grooves). That being said, full magnum power is in no way out of the question. 1500fps should still be good and accurate. The question (for me, at least) always becomes, how much powder do I want to toss into a plinking round?

I tend to load my polymer/hi-tek coated bullets a bit light, looking for a happy medium for good accuracy, and for .357 Magnum that seems to be at about 1100fps for a 158gn powder coated bullet. But that's just me :)

Reactions: xiholdtruex and 57K

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yep, copper jackets are definitely the hardest. And delving into another thread, jacketed bullets are the ones we should be mostly concerned with in terms of obturation, Most hard-cast bullets are larger than a barrel's groove diameter, Many plated as well. That is usually enough in terms of getting a good seal between bullet and bore.;)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have two ends of the spectrum when practicing. I usually start with something nice and pleasurable to shoot like .38 special or .357mag cases loaded with trail boss, then change targets and try something a little hotter some .38 factory ammo or last session I tried hp-38. Then like to finish off first with some medium magnum loads 125 gn remington or hornady critical defense then finish with the 158 gn magnum factory loads. I usually alternate between lead plated and jacketed. The lead seems to have the least recoil. The plated was a little spicier and the jacketed seems to have the most.

so I definitely agree that it slides down easier. Then again I am shooting out of a 19oz poly protector so every load may be a bit spicy lol Picked up a friends new kimber 10mm and I almost droped it did not expect it to weigh so much.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I have two ends of the spectrum when practicing. I usually start with something nice and pleasurable to shoot like .38 special or .357mag cases loaded with trail boss, then change targets and try something a little hotter some .38 factory ammo or last session I tried hp-38. Then like to finish off first with some medium magnum loads 125 gn remington or hornady critical defense then finish with the 158 gn magnum factory loads. I usually alternate between lead plated and jacketed. The lead seems to have the least recoil. The plated was a little spicier and the jacketed seems to have the most.

so I definitely agree that it slides down easier. Then again I am shooting out of a 19oz poly protector so every load may be a bit spicy lol Picked up a friends new kimber 10mm and I almost dropped it did not expect it to weigh so much.
With 10mm hot loads, weight is a good thing:). I currently only have one 10mm - a Glock 29, and let me tell you - working up defensive loads can be brutal. I spent a couple of hours testing hot .45 ACP and even hotter 10mm loads using a Para Ordinance P10-45 and my G29. Those small guns and 1400fps with 155gn hollow points (10mm) or 180gn .45acp rounds moving at 1200fps out of 3" barrels make your hand feel like it's beem worked over with a meat tenderizer!

At least I didn't shoot my chrony!

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
Yep!
I have Three 10 MM and all are full sized steel framed weapons, can easily run 200 rounds through them with not discomfort.
Now a Friend has a Glock and it do be a bit stout with my regular range loads (which I do not load powder puff loads now), plus the ergos are really good for me and the glock either.
I got DW stacked 1911 that shoots almost like 22 as it weighs like 53-54 ounces and is 45acp.
The only 10 MM that I would really carry IF I had a choice of guns would be my Witness steel 10 MM and thats because of capacity, reliability and the need to kill armor plated Pimp cars when I go to Atlanta.
I tend to load and use the 150 ish projectiles myself.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking of getting a glock 20 or 29 the range I go to has them for rent but the ammo is a arm and a leg so I have not wanted to rent one yet lol.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
That hardness of bullet will take about anything up to mid range mag loads as long as it fits your barrel. Personally I rarely take anything over midrange mag loads in .357 or 44.jmho
With powders like 296 or 300MP the beginning loads do all I need speed wise. with the right bullet.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I was thinking of getting a glock 20 or 29 the range I go to has them for rent but the ammo is a arm and a leg so I have not wanted to rent one yet lol.
If you are intending to conceal carry it, get the G29. If you are recoil sensitive and intend to either load hot or buy cor-bon or buffalo bore ammo, get the G20 and open carry.

The G29 is a handful and without the Pearce pinkie extension on the magazines I wouldn't be able to get all my fingers on it, which would be unfortunate for my defensive rounds and next to impossible to keep on target for quick follow-up shots (much less keep the thing in my hand if I were sweaty!)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are intending to conceal carry it, get the G29. If you are recoil sensitive and intend to either load hot or buy cor-bon or buffalo bore ammo, get the G20 and open carry.

The G29 is a handful and without the Pearce pinkie extension on the magazines I wouldn't be able to get all my fingers on it, which would be unfortunate for my defensive rounds and next to impossible to keep on target for quick follow-up shots (much less keep the thing in my hand if I were sweaty!)
Yep was thinking of grabing it as a back up gun but may get the glock 30 if the recoil is that rough. Regardless in a small polymer glock they are still going to be stout to produce around 500ft lbs of force. If not going to pick up a chiappa rhino 200ds in 357 mag.

·
Registered
969 Posts

so I definitely agree that it slides down easier. Then again I am shooting out of a 19oz poly protector so every load may be a bit spicy lol Picked up a friends new kimber 10mm and I almost droped it did not expect it to weigh so much.

Just an FYI from the old days when LE still used .357 Mag revolvers. While 125 gr JHP loads dominated in actual shootings, many may not be aware that that was with 2 specific loads. Made by WIN and Federal and were the top dogs even going back to the leaked FBI ballistics report of the early 1980s. To remove any doubt, 140 gr. JHPs leave no doubt and are particularly good for short barreled Magnums.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Yep was thinking of grabbing it as a back up gun but may get the glock 30 if the recoil is that rough. Regardless in a small polymer glock they are still going to be stout to produce around 500ft lbs of force. If not going to pick up a chiappa rhino 200ds in 357 mag.
The recoil of the G29 isn't too bad with normal ammo or loads. It's when you go for the hot stuff that it becomes a handful. The Pearce extension is a must (IMO) for shooting the G29. It wasn't bad(i.e. painful) until I'd shot about 100 of the hotter loads. Initially it was just like, "Hey! Salty!" (I'm not very recoil sensitive), but as the charge, velocity and round count increased, it became definitely more noticeable. I ended up settling on using 180 gn JHP's moving about 1200 fps as the most effective - very accurate, just a bit under 600 ft/lbs of energy, stout but manageable recoil.

But back to the topic of Hi-Tek coated bullets - they will most definitely handle the velocity produced by these hot loads, but for my plinking loads, I use Red Dot under my 180 gn Hi-Tek bullets and have them running around 1100 fps. Those are comfortable to shoot, accurate, and cost about $0.10/round.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,420 Posts
MBC fan here. I have family in the area so often pick up several thousand when I visit. They work well for me and the absence of a freight charge is a bonus, along with the veterans discount.

Reactions: 57K and Yissnakk

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
MBC fan here. I have family in the area so often pick up several thousand when I visit. They work well for me and the absence of a freight charge is a bonus, along with the veterans discount.
If you can get them without freight, that makes their prices very good. If you have to do the freight, it's still not bad as long as you get it close to the 65lb mark, otherwise it makes them kinda pricey..

Reactions: william and 57K
1 - 20 of 33 Posts