Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dont want one

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went to the shop today.. got 2 Hi-points a c9 (9mm pistol) 119.99 +tax nib and the 995 (9mm carbine) 159.99 +tax nib

I posted more detailed first impressions at: http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=35218

First off, the rumors are just flat wrong.. after you handle one you can see how wrong people are.. how many people out there are bad mouthing the gun without ever holding it and just going with the crowd.

The gun is not a brick that fires bullets.. it actually has good balance and is not that heavy.. infact my beretta/taurus which i have almost boarderline sexual attraction to (dont ask ;) ) is either the same weight or maybe even heaver.

The gun is not top heavy, the gun is rough however.. The design is simple, crude, but effective and ingenious.
A gun that uses it's own firing pin as an ejector.. i know i know.. i had serious worries about this.. it actually works pretty damn good its' quite amazing.. i've never seen anything like that before.

The slide is indeed not steal.. it's made out of ZAMAK #3 (ZAMAC) a Zinc,Aluminum,Magnesium,and Copper alloy..

I know i know it's basicly pot metal.. amazingly i have no reservations of it's use on a gun like this.. on a expensive gun on way but functionally it seems to be fine, had i not already read about it i would not have known, The gun is not top heavy as some claim.

The gun has some very nice sights on it.. bright yellow on the front and bright safety orange on the rear.. they are fully rear adjustable.. the gun had great pointability for me.. better then most of my guns but my 92's still have better pointability but was pretty impressive just the same.

The grip on these things are a bit slick.. however they are also incredibly comfortable for a stock grip.. damn comfortable infact, really fit the hand nice i was immediately surprised when i picked it up.

it's not all milk and honey, this gun is simple.. and does have some issues..

the safety is hard to use, it has no slide release, the mags are flimsy feeling and low capacity single stacks.

they can get caught if you dont watch how they slide in.. this is not a tactical gun i would not want to be in a fire fight and need to reload with this gun, for sd/hd it's probably fine.. how often will you need more then 8 shots? or 10 with the extended mags?

The mag release is actually very good on the gun though it sticks out a fair bit so it's easy to reach.

the trigger is so so on it, i've felt worse but this definitely ranks near the bottom trigger wise, functional and not much else.

Field stripping requires using a punch or a thin screw driver.. not my idea of a good time.

Pros:
Great factory grip
good balance
nice mag release
good point ability and sights
excellent warranty

Cons:
crappy trigger
low capacity
flimsy mags

the 995 carbine is kinda nice, the charging handle can be put on either side which is nice for lefties..
Capacity is only 10 rounds on those.. again single stacks.. the gun is ugly as sin but the ati replacement stock makes it look like a beretta storm.. it has nice sights as well, comes with a sling which is pretty cool.
It lacks a hold up last round feature.. suppose to be redesigning it for that but it really sucks that it does'nt have that already, not much else to say about the carbine.. it looks like it will be a fun gun to dress up.

So any other Hi-point owners out there?

Pictures below:

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
joe sixpack said:
.....The gun is not a brick that fires bullets.. it actually has good balance and is not that heavy.. infact my beretta/taurus which i have almost boarderline sexual attraction to (dont ask ;) ) is either the same weight or maybe even heaver...
There are some things we don't really want to know. :D Just remember that this is a PG-13 forum...

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3797.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2684.0

The 9mm carbines tempt me some but I've already got too many guns on the wish list.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
ive owned 3 of them c9's and as i tell anyone asking for 125 bucks , you cant buy a better gun new out the door, i use to live 20 miles from the factory , in ohio, one thing about them is customer service , they do back their guns 110% even if you break it they will fix it for free , as for the carbine i have had 2 of them still got one dressed up with red dot sight and its a shooter for sure , great hd gun and i trust it a lot, its never jammed or ftf in i imagine ??? 3000 rounds or more thru it, my biggest complaint about the 995 is this , it eats 9mm ammo way to fast hahahha i have 5 10 round mags for mine soooooooo that means a box of 9's goes away to fast hahah

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I've never owned a Hi-Point but would buy one of their 9mm Carbines if I didn't already own a Ruger PC9. When they release the 4595 .45 ACP carbine in the future I definitely will be picking one up however.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Been thinking (way down the road) about a 9mm carbine. Looked at the Hi-Point as a possible consideration. Butt ugly but the price is right. Considering the competition for a 9mm is a Buckmaster for $850, Colt for $1100, or a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 (ulgier than the Hi-Point) for around $275 the price on the Hi-Point seems to be a steal. Thanks for the review Sixpack, this gives me something to think about.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
rainman said:
Been thinking (way down the road) about a 9mm carbine. Looked at the Hi-Point as a possible consideration. Butt ugly but the price is right. Considering the competition for a 9mm is a Buckmaster for $850, Colt for $1100, or a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 (ulgier than the Hi-Point) for around $275 the price on the Hi-Point seems to be a steal. Thanks for the review Sixpack, this gives me something to think about.
Ruger PC9s have been discontinued but they're out there in circulation. I've seen listings online for them between $350 and $450, some NIB.

·
Registered
138 Posts
rainman posted "Been thinking (way down the road) about a 9mm carbine."
I have a Hi-Point 995 with about 1,000 rds through it. and with the exception of the operating handle for the breech bolt loosening up after 300-400 rds (it's nothing more than a regular old bolt with a steel collar around it), it has been flawless. I put red Loctite on the threads of the operating handle and solved the problem.

The sights are adjustable and very accurate up to the limits of my poor vision. At 50 yards, I can put 9 of 10 in the "ten ring".

·
Registered
959 Posts
joe sixpack,... Thanks for the hands-on info... and nice Pics to...<:))

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have almost boarderline sexual attraction to (dont ask ;) )

[/quote]

9mm is small.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Wasn't aware that ATI made a stock replacement for the 995.....not too bad....kind of hides the ugly. $165 for the carbine and $80 for the stock. Hum....Might have to move the 9mm carbine up the want list a place or two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.