Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Would you ever consider purchasing a Hi-Point firearm?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have one already

• I have more than one already

• What's a Hi-Point?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made up this poll just out of curiousity. When I was a cop in NYC we came across many Hi-Point guns confiscated from thugs, gang members, drug dealers, etc. I suppose it's because you can get one for around $100 new.

·
32,654 Posts
The carbine would be what I would look at. I'm in the field for a 9mm.carbine. There are some nice ones out there, but paying the price for a high priced spread one is definetly out.

What's needed is more rugged than a Marlin Camp carbine, but not as pricey as a Beretta or Ruger carbine. Ruger carbines are no longer made and in this area Beretta and Rugers, if can be found, are priced out of sight. Above $700. At that high price a AR180 is sounding good. Want the 9mm. carbine though.
I'm not a gambler with these as far as on-line auctions are considered.

Since the reliability issues have been dealt with for the most part, why not look at one?

Would like feedback from those who have the carbine version.

Kel-tec is out as far as the carbine version go. I tried a Kel-tec carbine. It was nice, but didn't fit well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They are fine for what they are. Inexpensive reliable guns that go bang everytime you pull the trigger.

The only time people have problems with the pistols is if they limp wrist them. They are pure blowback so will FTF if you limp wrist it.

If you hold them firmly, then they never jam.

The carbine is the best bang for the buck around. I have one and love it. Lots of fun. very reliable.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I would consider a new carbine without any reservations. The pistols, well, I haven't heard bad things from anyone who actually owned one but I'm not likely to ever get one. Then again who knows what the future holds.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have 2 9mm pistols (one is my Dads). They are not pretty, but I have yet to have any problems from them. I paid about $110.00 for each and that includes tax.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I'll get one of the carbines if they're introduced in .45 ACP. :D

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The pistols weigh a metric ton and are just plain fugly! Sure it's a gun for around a hundred dollars but that's what makes it the new Sat. Nite Special.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I've considered getting the .45 with the laser as a "house" gun. I figure that if I ever have to use it, I won't cry when the cops take it as evidence. But, dang, they sure are butt ugly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
well i have 3 a 9m, a 40 and a 45. well in all three of these guns i have roughly $360.00 in them. hey they go bang every time you pull the trigger. tooo noisy and big, hefty, ect to carry. but to joe break in my house it is a piece of fast moving lead.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Taurus_9mm said:
I'll get one of the carbines if they're introduced in .45 ACP. :D
I believe they have the 45 in the carbine. I have the 9mm carbine and gave 140 for it. Lots of fun, and it has never jammed. I have a friend with a 9mm and 45 pistol, and another friend with the 38. They seem to like theirs. Now they are all used for plinking, and I would not personally carry one for protection, but thats just me. They are too big for CC.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the Carbine and the 9mm pistol. I sold the carbine to help pay for my 24/7. The carbines are very accurate and the pistols work fine too. I would have no problem buying one again. I'm looking to get the Kel-Tec carbine for the hi-cap mags.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Rabid_Dog said:
The pistols weigh a metric ton and are just plain fugly! Sure it's a gun for around a hundred dollars but that's what makes it the new Sat. Nite Special.
Being affordable isn't what a S.N.S really is... The term originally came from cheap, low quality chunks of crap that where more dangerous for the owner to shoot, then be shot with. The High Point is somewhat ugly, but thats what people said about the first polymer pistols too. The slide is a bit heavy in recoil, but I have found mine to be accurate and reliable and kind of sexy looking in the right light, kind of like last call at an after hours club ;)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Unfortunately, no .45 ACP carbine listed on their website but they do have them available in .40 S&W and 9mm. I already have a Ruger PC9 carbine but would consider a Hi-Point .40 S&W. I'd really rather have one in .45 ACP though. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, a lot of you are right about the High Point's being ugly. But I own 4 of them, the 9mm carbine and 2 9mm handguns, and after hurricane Katrina, some law enforcement was using the .40 caliber carbine, so I had to buy one.I will say honestly, I have never had any of them jam or never had a FTF(except one time using WWB 100 rnd value pack, that happens though sometimes with WWB)Good reliable guns at cheap prices. Carrying one would not be an option for me because they weigh a ton, but they are a great car or house gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've fired the Carbine, had a blast with it, and haven't read any bad reviews of it. I had been leaning toward a 9mm upper for my AR, but for the cost of one I can get a Hi-Point 995 and several thousand rounds of ammo. Only drawback is the ten-round mags.

Never fired one of their pistols, but there's enough seemingly-informed negative reviews of them out there (along with all the hot air) to keep me from considering one.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have one of the butt ugly things in .45. It shoots well and I appreciate the fully adjustable sights. If I could get my short fingers around what feels to me like soda can sized grips I'd like it a lot better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
stremph said:
Never fired one of their pistols, but there's enough seemingly-informed negative reviews of them out there (along with all the hot air) to keep me from considering one.
Lots of people say the same thing about Taurus. Hi-point has figured out how to do customer service. Taurus CS could learn a few things from them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the .380 model. The only time I had a problem with it when I bought it and went straight the range with it. After that I kept it clean and had no problems. When It comes to accuracy, It has never let me down. Shooting the thing is almost as fun as shooting my Uberti 1873 Cattleman......Almost. The only gripe I have is the take down process. Using a hammer on a firearm is not what i had in mind for cleaning. Would I consider buying another one? Hell yes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts