Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night a couple in the lane next to my wife and me at the range were shooting Hi-Point CF380's. They had a matching pair.

At one point, we offered to let each other fire the other's guns. So, I take the Hi-Point (I've never even held one before) and pull the trigger. Nice smooth slide motion, fairly accurate, very light, and it had a nice set of sights. I pull the trigger a second time, and nothing. I rack it and there wasn't a round in the chamber. So, I rack it again and fire. Pull the trigger a third time, and nothing happens again. Not a round in the chamber.

As I go to pull the magazine out, I notice it is already sticking out a little. Then I realize that the magazine release is located right where my thumb rests when I'm holding the gun, and every time I fired I was dropping the mag into my other hand.

I guess some guns are just not for some people.

Wow, I just looked up the MSRP on that gun: $135.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ya hi-point might be cheap but they have a nice grip and the sights are excellent on them imo.

the cf380 goes for 110 round my parts, i bought a c9 last month for 120.. i have'nt had a chance to get to the range yet though.. hopefully this weekend i can test it out.. picked up their carbine also 995 (9mm)

i actually made a post about it here if you wanna look for it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
joe sixpack said:
ya hi-point might be cheap but they have a nice grip and the sights are excellent on them imo.
After shooting it I actually thought that it was a nice little gun. I loved the sights and the recoil was almost non-existent. I have big hands, and the mag release just didn't work for me. Otherwise... for just over $100... I'd probably pick one up.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well they also used a remmy 870 shotgun, and a glock and sig..

they been trying to make SNS (saturday night specials) illegal for a long time..
like i said i have'nt fired my hi-points yet but the c9 especially seemed well built for the money.. rather it jams or not will be the question.. i dont think it will blow it self apart or anything like that.

the carbine on the other hand the reciver was poorly finished.

anyway i think hi-points are starting to get some respect, a lot of what you hear people say about them is completely false.. i would imagine most have never held one and are just repeating other peoples opinions or simply bad mouthing it because of price or looks..

i will report back once i get a chance to shoot mine, with the good, the bad, and the ugly.. i'll get it to ya straight cause im not a fan boy of anyone.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've got a Hi Point Comp 9. Large and heavy with the compensator, but it is accurate, very low recoil for a 9mm. The only problem I had with it was operator error. I had never fired a semi automatic pistol before and got slide bit, also put my offhand under the mag and pushed it up too high and it jammed the slide open. Now that I have more experience with pistols, I kinda enjoy shooting it. No misfires or FTF. Eats any type bullet. I keep it in my nightstand for home use since its kinda big for everyday carry. Good backup for my 870. ( guess I'll loose two guns if they outlaw what that nutjob in IL used!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
A shooting buddy has a C9 I've gotten my hands on a couple of times. He bought it 4 months ago and already has over 1,000 rounds through it. The only problems he's experienced were actually when I shot it the first time. I'm a revolver guy and limp-wristed the first couple of shots. Best sights of any gun I've shot in my limited experience. I actually can't say enough good things about it, if I weren't planning on buying a concealed carry revolver as my next gun I would've already bought a couple of C9's.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Personally, I think they are an ugly gun. They look more like a toy than a real weapon.

When I took my CCDW class, one of the guys there had one in .45 caliber. The instructor even commented (after qualifying was done) that it was the first Hi-Point that they've had in the class that didn't jam during the live fire qualifying. Now whether he was biased or not, I don't know. But that comment and the looks of the gun are enough to keep me away from them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a C9 with a Hogue grip on it and I really like shooting it. I have over 500 rounds through it and I have had no problems. As a matter of fact, I carried it for a while because it was all I had. It is fun to shoot and very accurate.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Doctor_Venkman said:
When I took my CCDW class, one of the guys there had one in .45 caliber. The instructor even commented (after qualifying was done) that it was the first Hi-Point that they've had in the class that didn't jam during the live fire qualifying. Now whether he was biased or not, I don't know. But that comment and the looks of the gun are enough to keep me away from them.
If you look at forums that pertain to this gun you will see that most of the experiences are positive. They are a good gun, made in the states, and have a great lifetime waranty. I would get one but they are big and heavy and I don't like that in a carry gun. For home protection they seem to be great. And you can beat the price for a legally purchased gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts