Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and to owning a Taurus. I picked my first up from a local dealer that had a Titanium .357 4" in stock. The gun was "new" but had been in inventory for sometime. I can't find any info about the pistol on the Taurus website or really anywhere on the interet, which I find a little odd. I've found a few other of the same model for sale, but very little information.

The pistol is 616ti 4" .357 revolver that chambers 6 rounds. As I mentioned, I have no idea when it was actually produced, even though I just purchased it.

Compared to other Taurus titanium revolvers, I got what I thought was good deal ($450). The gun hadn't been fired before and I love the weight and balance. The quality and fit and finish are quite high and I'm very pleased with the gun... I'd just like to know a little more about it as there are some additions/changes I'd like to make that require detailed specs.

Thanks, looking forward to getting to know everyone around here.

Incidently, this is my second pistol and first revolver. I've only recently grown interested in target shooting with pistols. It's been a ton of fun and I can already tell I'm hooked for good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's a nice catch for $450. My guess is that you are really going to like that revolver. Be sure to keep the box and paperwork, as it will enhance the future value, should you ever decide to sell it. In the meantime, shoot it, enjoy it, and let us know how it performs for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey everyone, thanks for the kind replies.

The pistol shoots like a dream. I've put about 100 .38 specials and 75 .357's through it so far. It is very well balanced with very smooth action (even when firing double action). It took me a box or so of rounds to get the sight figured out, but after that it's been shooting very true.

That does bring me to another question, though. This pistol has a fixed sight and even though it's true, I don't really like it. This is going to be my hunting/hiking/camping backup/protection side arm and I'm thinking I'd really like to put a small red dot sight on it for accuracy. However, I have no idea how that could be done as this model doesn't have a scope rail nor is it pre-drilled for one. With the 4" barrel it would be tough to fit a full sized rail on it.

Is anyone aware of any alternate mounts for pistol red dot sights?

Thanks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you find someone who can put a small red dot on your front sight, please let me know too. ;D

I would like to have a small gold dot put on mine, like Ed Mc Giverns old S&W revolvers.

Anyway, good idea with the small dot to fix on a target...I like it.

TB C45

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before you spend a large sum of money for a red post for your front sight, you might want to try this trick. I'm sure you have seen painted front sight ramps before. Most people use fingernail polish or somesuch and it is not very bright. I use Testors model paints on my front sight. To do this so that the colors stands out you need a base of white. Thats the secret. I buy the acrylic paints that clean up with water and use a round toothpick to apply.

Just paint the ramp with the white and allow it to dry. I use the floresant orange for the top color. You can also use floresant green. I buy them at Hobby Lobby. The good thing about the acylic paints is if you get it on something you don't want it on it cleans right off with water unless it is dried. Using a toothpick is easier and neater than a brush. You just roll on the paint. A thinner coat works best. I have also bought a couple of guns that had the rear sight blade stamped with a groove for a white outline but no color. I painted the groove with the toothpick also. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I believe what simbryo is looking for is an actual reticle red-dot sight that can be mounted on the gun. I have an EOTech red dot scope for my Bushmaster M4 carbine that I got from Sportsmansguide.com and purchased a scope mount so I can move it to my semi-autos if needed.

I personally do not know of anything that would work on your Taurus unless you had scope mounts drilled by a gunsmith.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts