Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Hi-Point, the most abused, bad mouthed firearm going. So bad I had to buy one to find out. The experience convinced me I needed to purchase a C-9 to go along with it. The only cycling problems it had were with my 158 LSWC sub sonic handloads.

One of the guys down at the range said it was only good for short ranges. I bought a cheap Mil Dot at Walmart and was soon lobbing 9's at bowling pins set out to 300 yards. Didn't hit them all the time, but more often than not.

006.JPG

002 (2).JPG

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi-Point, the most abused, bad mouthed firearm going. So bad I had to buy one to find out. The experience convinced me I needed to purchase a C-9 to go along with it. The only cycling problems it had were with my 158 LSWC sub sonic handloads.

One of the guys down at the range said it was only good for short ranges. I bought a cheap Mil Dot at Walmart and was soon lobbing 9's at bowling pins set out to 300 yards. Didn't hit them all the time, but more often than not.
I have been eyeing up those spare mag clips for the stock on EBay...it looks to be a great application. First thing this morning I started thinking of mounting the reflex sight that I have on it just to see if it will co-witness.

You guys are putting the pressure on for a range report...and the only thing that's weaker than my range reports is my shooting! :D

I will do my best however...for the team! ;)

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
Yep...I've been cruising around looking for deals on more magazines..
It has been two years since I bought mine. It seems like an Amazon vendor had two magazines, and a stock attachment "Clip" which holds the two spare magazines close to the butt of the skeleton stock. Seems like it was around $44 for all three components shipped, and I also added a vertical fore grip for $15.

It is a fun gun, economical to shoot in 9mm, one I bought strictly for a truck gun.

I had originally wanted a .45 acp until I was at the range about 4 years ago and was shooting some full auto subs, at steel gongs at 50 yards. We shot rounds in semi-auto mode first, before going full auto to familiarize ourselves with the carbines. I shot a Kriss Vector in .45 acp, and some 9 mm carbine back to back. The approximate 450 fps difference in the two rounds (.45 acp and 9 mm) was very noticeable when shooting the steel gongs as far as differential in bang to clang, making the 9mm more useful at distances, specially 100 yards or so. Neither caliber is something I would ever seriously hunt large game with, but the 9 mm would be a heck of a coon gun.

I confess I haven't given it or any other of my guns any love this year, but It will be one I definitely will shoot next time I burn gun-powder....it and my diminutive other ugly duckling, the Phoenix .22 pot metal gun everyone except me loves to hate!

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
The Ghost ring sights are very easy for me to work with, I wear glasses. I found the sights very intuitive and was easily hitting a small propane tank at 60 yards with every shot. It seems to digest every brand of ammo I (only two brands) I have put through it. I probably haven't shot over 300 rounds through it, but not a hiccup.

Reactions: Ironmagz

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have been eyeing up those spare mag clips for the stock on EBay...it looks to be a great application. First thing this morning I started thinking of mounting the reflex sight that I have on it just to see if it will co-witness.

You guys are putting the pressure on for a range report...and the only thing that's weaker than my range reports is my shooting! :D

I will do my best however...for the team! ;)
I bought their clamp on compensator to protect the muzzle, but it snapped and fell off after a few boxes of ammo.

·
21,974 Posts

View attachment 426229
Apologies for the off topic remark - maybe I'll say something about not going to the range yet, there, we're on topic - but what is that wooden stocked beauty? Dang, that's a good looking piece of tree trunk!

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
^^ Amen to that...the figure in that wood is gorgeous!

Reactions: jwc007 and Lomax

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It has been two years since I bought mine. It seems like an Amazon vendor had two magazines, and a stock attachment "Clip" which holds the two spare magazines close to the butt of the skeleton stock. Seems like it was around $44 for all three components shipped, and I also added a vertical fore grip for $15.

It is a fun gun, economical to shoot in 9mm, one I bought strictly for a truck gun.

I had originally wanted a .45 acp until I was at the range about 4 years ago and was shooting some full auto subs, at steel gongs at 50 yards. We shot rounds in semi-auto mode first, before going full auto to familiarize ourselves with the carbines. I shot a Kriss Vector in .45 acp, and some 9 mm carbine back to back. The approximate 450 fps difference in the two rounds (.45 acp and 9 mm) was very noticeable when shooting the steel gongs as far as differential in bang to clang, making the 9mm more useful at distances, specially 100 yards or so. Neither caliber is something I would ever seriously hunt large game with, but the 9 mm would be a heck of a coon gun.

I confess I haven't given it or any other of my guns any love this year, but It will be one I definitely will shoot next time I burn gun-powder....it and my diminutive other ugly duckling, the Phoenix .22 pot metal gun everyone except me loves to hate!

I was going to grab the "Pro Pack" off Ebay for around 50.00 shipped and Googled it instead. Turns out that Hi-Point sells it for 44.00 net delivered. It's on the way to feed my new addiction. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I bought a 995TS a few months ago at Rural King for $269 and I like it very much. It goes bang every time and it is accurate. However, I was at a local pawn shop this week looking around (and buying a 357 magnum revolver) when I mentioned what I had bought. He had one he offered to sell me for $200 and it looked new. I have 2 20 round Red Ball mags and they work perfectly.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
It always makes me laugh about how people badmouth Hi Point yet when asked if they've ever shot one, much less owned one, the answer is always 'No.' I'll certainly be interested in your range report as a 1095TS in 10mm does interest me. It ain't the best lookin' gun, it ain't made out of stainless, and it don't get much love! But every owner I've talked with (never shot one yet) says its solid, reliable, cycles whatever it's fed, and it was less that $250. Sounds OK by me.
I have said it before, I like the looks of them. It is a very industrial and purposeful look. Now their pistols leave a little to be desired in the looks department. Although I have seen people compare the looks of my beautiful PX4 pistol to the Hi-Point pistols! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I tried the reflex sight on it last night and it barely fits in front of the OEM rear sight on the rail and is about 3/16" above the iron sight line. I'll have to try it again in the daylight to see if it allows good viewing of the iron sights...the main reason is to have them as backup. The other additional option would be to take the laser/light off my 300 BLK pistol and mount it on the lower rail, but I really like that on the AR pistol so that probably won't happen.

I took the Dremel with a sanding drum to the "hook" on the bottom of the trigger and knocked that down, following up with a felt drum with rubbing compound to polish it it. It feels much better now and I'll be shooting it tomorrow...somewhere..either my buddy's farm or the indoor range.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!!!

I finally fired mine a while back (had it for over 3 years) and it ran great.

995 with strikefire2.JPG

2 weeks ago I picked up a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 Gen 2, it also shoots great. I actually have the 995 fore grip mounted on the S2K right now:

03.JPG

Right now I'm not sure which one I like most. The S2K is about 4lbs lighter. IMO both are extremely accurate.

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
What comp is that on the 995?

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Years ago I bought a C9. Functionally it was superb, ate everything I fed it without a hiccup, and was certainly accurate enough for self-defense range. Was gonna be my "truck" gun. Hard as I tried I just couldn't get past the ugly, so I sold it to a young couple of limited means who were living in a sketchy neighborhood. I've been eyeballing a 995 ever since, but I still have an issue with the ugly. I have no misgivings about reliability or accuracy. I can pick one up at a lgs with the foregrip and 2 20-round mags for under $300 and I'm inching ever so slowly toward beating back my obsession with the aesthetics.

For you folks that have one, how easy/difficult is it to field strip for cleaning?

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Years ago I bought a C9. Functionally it was superb, ate everything I fed it without a hiccup, and was certainly accurate enough for self-defense range. Was gonna be my "truck" gun. Hard as I tried I just couldn't get past the ugly, so I sold it to a young couple of limited means who were living in a sketchy neighborhood. I've been eyeballing a 995 ever since, but I still have an issue with the ugly. I have no misgivings about reliability or accuracy. I can pick one up at a lgs with the foregrip and 2 20-round mags for under $300 and I'm inching ever so slowly toward beating back my obsession with the aesthetics.

For you folks that have one, how easy/difficult is it to field strip for cleaning?
Here's an option for the "ugly" under 40 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/ATI-Hi-Point-Carbine-Stock-Buttpad/dp/B0014VX0L0

ATI stock.jpg

I hear that they are not easy to detail strip for cleaning, but they say that you can wait 1500 rounds before doing so.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I tried the reflex sight on it last night and it barely fits in front of the OEM rear sight on the rail and is about 3/16" above the iron sight line. I'll have to try it again in the daylight to see if it allows good viewing of the iron sights...the main reason is to have them as backup. The other additional option would be to take the laser/light off my 300 BLK pistol and mount it on the lower rail, but I really like that on the AR pistol so that probably won't happen.
I ended up taking the irons off. My eyes just didn't do well with them anyway and I don't feel the urge for a backup.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts

I think they're a good looking gun myself. Very utilitarian but nice. I did get the camo version which I think makes them much better looking.
As Czechbikr said They don't rquire field stripping to clean so it's a breeze really. To eventually strip them is time consuming but most guys I know don't do it for 3000 rnds or more. I've only fired a few hundred so far.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I've almost completely stripped my 4095 twice. Once to clean it, the other time just because I like to see how things work. That time I actually replaced the trigger spring with a lighter one and made the trigger just a touch lighter. I did try to smooth some contact points out to try and make it smoother, I think it worked.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 83 Posts