Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I check in and say hi for metro Atlanta. It looks like I'll be buying my first Taurus this weekend. I'm looking at a 9mm Mill Pro for daily carry use. I have been carrying a Walther PPK/S .380, but with rising ammo prices, I'm trying to eliminate "extra" calibers. All my other pistols are 9mm, so the PPK/S had to go.

I have in my safe:

S&W M&P-9 Full size
Armscor 1911A1 in 9mm
S/A XD-9 Tactical
Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
1891 Argentine Mauser (7.65x54)
Mosin M44
Century Arms C15 Carbine (AR15)

·
Registered
15 Posts
welcome from Canton GA :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hey from MN. I've flown in & out of Atlanta much, and have driven through Atlanta many times.
Welcome.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome aboard Adam, glad to have you with us. The PT-111, PT-140 & PT145 owners are well represented here on the board. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

·
32,530 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I am curious though.

You are looking for a compact pistol for carry.
Noticed the list of pistols you do have.
Why not go with a compact version of the pistols brands, makes, and models you already have? Specifically the XD, S&W M&P, or a S&W 990L.

Here's the reasoning. You are already familiar with the manual of arms for these guns. Or there is little difference in the manual of arms or the fit and function of said pistols mentioned here. S&W 990L is alike in many ways to the M&P

Yes, I know the XD is SA. That does not mean that a DAO version should be forgotten. You have experience with these. Adjusting to DAO trigger, since you have experience with these on other models, would not take much training to be come proficient.

Commonality means less effort and mindset change to fire the gun accurately when needed. In a adrenalin dump,fight or flight, under extreme duress, fine motor skill loss moment in a fight, one has fractions of, or seconds to draw and fire accurately to end the fight and win. Otherwise death or grave harm occur to the victim gun owner.

While I do advocate the use of Taurus pistols normally, there are enough reasons to recommend the other pistols. Especially if they fit you and your needs.

S&W and XDs come with grips that can be adjusted to fit the hand.
If the pistols have safeties these may very well be taken off safe in a totally different way on the Taurus models that have them. That would have grave consequences in a fight if off safing is done in the wrong way.

There are the PT111 series and 24/7 compact pistols to look at.
These are fine firearms and give their owners very good service. This despite "conventional wisdom" to the contrary at other gun forums. More and more actual owners are coming forward and proving that the Taurus pistols do work well.

The internet abounds with threads and posts of the troubles of fit and function of other brands. This does not mean they are all pieces of junk either. Nor does it condemn a company. Mechanical tools wear out, break, need parts replaced and tweaked,and need regular maintenance. Guns fall into this bracket.

Let it also be stated that the trigger pull on all DAO pistols are totally different even though they operate in an alike way. Trigger pull for each type,brand,make, and model vary in technique and method of trigger release and follow through.

So get as much experience with the actual guns before making a choice.

We staff and members can advise only somewhat on choices.

I do own a PT111 Millennium Pro. It has thousands of rounds through it and is giving excellent service.

Taurus products that I have (4 revolvers and 2 pistols) have been dureable, accurate, and function well. Others here will back that up with their experiences.

Whether this is a good choice for you remains to be seen.What fits us may not fit you.

Ask away.This forum has a very knowledgeable, friendly staff and members.

·
32,530 Posts
After perusing the crystal ball,Magic Eightball,and the tarot cards, let it be known, with some certainty, that Adam 5 here is getting the PT111 Millennium Pro. :) ;) :D ;D

We of the psycho........ uh.... make that psychic world make occasional true prognostications. :-[ ::) :eek: ;D :-\ :-X ;D :D ;) :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the advice and opinion Qwiks Draw.

I looked at the compact XD, M&P, Glock 26, Bersa Thunder Compact 9, Kahr , and several Kel-Tecs. Glocks never felt good to me, The Kahr didn't feel right, KelTecs felt cheap, The Bersa was just ok. It felt like a cheap knockoff of my PPK/S (I know, It is one). The XD too wide. That left me with the Mill Pro and the M&P Compact. The M&P compact didn't have the same perfect fit feel that my full size has and is wider than the Mill Pro. The Mill Pro felt good and fit hand better than any of the other small 9mm's.

The vast majority of the time, I use one specific pistol for carry. One for range duty/night stand duty, and the rest for ramge toys. I train on a regular basis with my carry piece so that muscle memory is there if needed. I also shoot atleast 50 rounds through my carry piece a week so that I stay proficient with it (I'm normally at my local indoor range once a week anyway, so why not?).

As far as triggers and safeties, I like the feel of a DA trigger, and with the exception of my 1911, I don't use external safeties on carry guns. I normally carry my PPK/S with the hammer down on a loaded chamber and safety off.

And yes, I'm picking up a Mill Pro 9mm Sat morning and a cheap IWB nylon temporary holster for it. I'm just going to use the cheap holster while I wait for my favorite maker, www.southernholsters.com, to make me some good leather for it. HE has about a 4 week turn around time right now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Welcome aboard.
Ron from Oregon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts