Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my SS PT1911 for a couple of weeks now. I'm loving it, but with about 220 rounds through it, I've noticed some marks appearing on the top of the barrel. It's like a series of small (say around 1/16th inch) semicircular nicks on the top of the barrel in the area which is normally covered by the bushing. I can't figure out what would cause them. The bushing looks completely smooth inside - nothing there that would cause them. Could I be causing them during disassembly/reassembly? I can't see how.

I'm pretty sure these marks weren't there out of the box. Any ideas? This is my first 1911, so I don't know if this is 'normal'. I can try to post a photo if it would help.

Editing to try to add a pic-

·
Registered
8 Posts
dont know why, but those look like they would have to come from the bushing does the bbl. have any movement when the slide is completely forword? looks as if bushing could have a bur i have seen wear in that area before but not nics like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the bushing carefully and it is completely smooth. The barrel was nice and tight when the slide was in full battery. I'd agree that it would seem like something that a burr in the bushing would cause, but I haven't been able to find one. In any case, I called Taurus and they said send in the barrel and bushing and they will replace them. Hopefully since this is a parts swap they will be able to handle it in Miami and I won't have to endure the wait for the round trip to Brazil. I dropped the package at FedEx. Taurus should have it on Friday.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Are you keeping barrel and bushing lubed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I made sure both the barrel and bushing had a good coating of oil. Also, I've only had this gun since the beginning of June - only about 200 rounds through it and cleaned/lubed it twice (not counting the initial cleaning to get all of the preservative off of it).

The package was delivered to Taurus this morning. I'll give them a call next week to check on status.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hope goes well. I don't know much on the 1911, but a bunch in here do. That looks as if it took some force to do that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Called them on Tuesday. They received the package, but it hadn't been passed on to the service folks yet. They quoted the stock "2-3 weeks". I'll give them a call next week to see where it stands. With the holiday I'm guessing it won't see much progress, but you never know.

·
Registered
154 Posts
A barrel and bushing on back order? Either they've gone through a bunch (which begs other questions I won't ask without more coffee) or someone hasn't done much of an analysis of their parts inventory needs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
While your waiting for your barrel, I'd look into buying another barrel/bushing and shoot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, you would think they could keep them on hand. Someone definitely needs to work on their supply chain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ByrdC130 said:
While your waiting for your barrel, I'd look into buying another barrel/bushing and shoot.
Actually, the range I'm a member at has a PT1911 I can rent. I thought about getting another barrel, but I'll rent in the meantime and save a few bucks. Hopefully it will be weeks and not months.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another week goes by, and still backordered. I'm now looking at ordering a Storm Lake drop-in kit from Brownell's. I'll give them another week or so to see if there is any sign of progress.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
Everything Taurus makes is on back order this needs to be addressed I mean slide lock, mag releases, mags everything is on back order. If you do a search almost everyone has said that its on back order. They need to set a small where house in Miami this having to wait till Brazil gets there act together. They need to work some overtime and make there customers happy six weeks for a mag or mag release is border line incompetent period these should be readily available.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you work for Taurus and care about your customers and read this then make some calls and fix your customer service. You are seriously pissing good people off. That could be return customers or out there selling your weapons for you this is terrible CS on your part!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree on the customer service piece. It should not take them long to get a part to you. I am going to send them my broken safety and see how long it takes. I already replaced it with a Wilson combat safety. Took 2 days for the gunsmith to get the Wilson safety and 45 minutes for him to fix it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Called today, and they said the parts are in and I should receive them in '7 to 10 days'. That makes it one day short of five weeks since they received my FedEx package, though I do have to factor in the July 4 holiday. I was assured they were sending all of the parts (barrel assembly including link and pin, and bushing). We'll see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts