Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How about rather than doing a face lift on some old poly pistols and changing the designation from number to letter model SKUs, offer some changes to the old tried and true PT92 line up?

The PT92 line has been around for ever and a day, sales seem to be somewhat mixed almost seasonal. Sales and inventory trend from weak to strong with pricing to match demand. One thing that it does have is a strong following however. Yes it is heavy and yes it is large. No it's not easily concealable, but it is possible to do so.

Bottom line is that it could use a little updating in the zing department. I'm not talking bling and flash of various finishes...you tried that already with the stainless and gold with pearl or simple duo tone stainless and black. Oh and least not forget this new proprietary Taurus finish called stainless look.........need to dump that ASAP.

I'm taking open up the caliber options on the PT92 series style and up the ante in to the 45acp, 10MM, 357Sig arenas.

Maybe you could even offer a 357Sig conversion barrel along with the current PT100/101 model .40sw pistol making it a two for special package.

Of course don't forget to make the40sw/357Sig conversion barrel available to the faithful mass of customers who already own one or more of the 100/101 pistol.

It's not like I'm asking for a .50 caliber PT to compete with the Desert Eagle........though it is a thought.

Anyway it was just a thought,

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
just my way of thinking but!!
I would think IF Taurus was interested in spreading the happiness that they would some time ago developed the PT1911 in a Commander/ Officer size, a alloy framed version and more calibers like 10 MM, 40 S & W, and even the 38 Super they made at one time.
I would think that the 1911 platform would be more appealing than the 92 platform?
they could also add adjustable sights and tritium options to the weapons.
taurus could seriously use a good quality, well built 22 semi auto for target use as well.
who knows where they will go?

·
Registered
14,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that they have been at a loss for being lost to the point of having lost their course heading and direction.

Who knows what the future or past for that matter holds in store. Seems that Taurus has been more of a follower, and even then from too great of a following distance. The market is now saturated with little sub-compact pocket 380 pistols well before Taurus got the Spectrum to a point of availability to the retail market.

I think Taurus also missed a great marketing partner ship with the IPhone a few years back. Remember the IPhone that was introduced that if you carried it in your back pocket it had a tendency to flex into a curved fixed shape. Just saying that if Taurus had brought the Taurus Curve to market earlier....maybe, just maybe .............OK, that is a stretch, even for my mind to conceive as a possibility.

After years of consumer prodding for a Commander and Officer 1911 it would appear that Taurus is listening and talking of production. Of course this is well after just about every other manufacture including a wealth of selections have long been in the market place produced in the Philippines for years now under various names.

OH Yea, I will give Taurus credit on the introduction of the AR rifle platform in their decision to drop doing so.

Wow, I didn't mean to start a bashing Taurus post. I'll shut up now..........for the time being.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Jonrjen brings up an interesting point with the topic title. Wouldn't a logical business person conclude that Taurus Inc. would read this forum? Perhaps not daily with a dedicated staff but why wouldn't they designate someone to monitor the group and report to management the current popular contents? Most successful businesses have some type of social media organization. And after all, TA.com is social media.

Any one know for a fact that Taurus sees any of what's posted here?

·
Registered
14,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jonrjen brings up an interesting point with the topic title. Wouldn't a logical business person conclude that Taurus Inc. would read this forum? Perhaps not daily with a dedicated staff but why wouldn't they designate someone to monitor the group and report to management the current popular contents? Most successful businesses have some type of social media organization. And after all, TA.com is social media.

Any one know for a fact that Taurus sees any of what's posted here?
Back when Mark Kessler was CEO he followed the forum pretty close, even formed friendships with a few of the members here.

When Mark was removed from Taurus I don't believe things ever bonded well with new management.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would add another design to go along with the core 92 line and the 1911 line. How about a "CZ-75" line that is mostly a perfect clone with swappable parts with CZ's except for using the Taurus frame mounted ambidextrous cocked and locked capable manual thumb safety and de-cocker all in one! Try to use most, if not all, of the safety and trigger parts directly swappable from the PT92 series. No need to switch out your CZ for the safety you prefer (manual or de-cocker), it's already built in. Ingenious! Make the double and single actions comparable to those expensive CZ trigger job options too. Make them in compact aluminum and polymer. Have them take the CZ magazines too. Threaded barrel models too. Do not go proprietary on the sights or magazines!

Edit: add little ears on the back of the slide like on the HK VP's, if I remember correctly, to aid in working the small profile slide.

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
I would add another design to go along with the core 92 line and the 1911 line. How about a "CZ-75" line that is mostly a perfect clone with swappable parts with CZ's except for using the Taurus frame mounted ambidextrous cocked and locked capable manual thumb safety and de-cocker all in one! Try to use most, if not all, of the safety and trigger parts directly swappable from the PT92 series. No need to switch out your CZ for the safety you prefer (manual or de-cocker), it's already built in. Ingenious! Make the double and single actions comparable to those expensive CZ trigger job options too. Make them in compact aluminum and polymer. Have them take the CZ magazines too. Threaded barrel models too. Do not go proprietary on the sights or magazines!

Edit: add little ears on the back of the slide like on the HK VP's, if I remember correctly, to aid in working the small profile slide.
that would be a very, very hard market to break into with all the great CZ clones being produced around the world, especially by the Turkish companies. (tri -star/ canik).
everyone has an opinion but NO WAY! would I ever consider a CZ type weapon that required Taurus parts!!!
First the quality of the parts are waaaay superior to taurus, second availability of CZ parts is abundant (CZ-USA & Cajun Gun Works) and thirdly CZ and that type weapon are a lot different internally than a 92/99 etc.
CZ magazines are for what you get (Mec-Gar) dirt cheap if you know where to look, there is really not a lot of different magazines out there for modern CZ designs that differ form one model to another so not a lot of Unicorns !
usually the bases are the difference, the bodies/springs etc are the same.

Reactions: 88keys

·
Registered
29,829 Posts
How about rather than doing a face lift on some old poly pistols and changing the designation from number to letter model SKUs, offer some changes to the old tried and true PT92 line up?

The PT92 line has been around for ever and a day, sales seem to be somewhat mixed almost seasonal. Sales and inventory trend from weak to strong with pricing to match demand. One thing that it does have is a strong following however. Yes it is heavy and yes it is large. No it's not easily concealable, but it is possible to do so.

Bottom line is that it could use a little updating in the zing department. I'm not talking bling and flash of various finishes...you tried that already with the stainless and gold with pearl or simple duo tone stainless and black. Oh and least not forget this new proprietary Taurus finish called stainless look.........need to dump that ASAP.

I'm taking open up the caliber options on the PT92 series style and up the ante in to the 45acp, 10MM, 357Sig arenas.

Maybe you could even offer a 357Sig conversion barrel along with the current PT100/101 model .40sw pistol making it a two for special package.

Of course don't forget to make the40sw/357Sig conversion barrel available to the faithful mass of customers who already own one or more of the 100/101 pistol.

It's not like I'm asking for a .50 caliber PT to compete with the Desert Eagle........though it is a thought.

Anyway it was just a thought,

I agree Jon. The main thing that keeps me from buying a PT92 is that it's chambered in 9mm. I have looked at used PT101's, but I would rather buy new. .357 SIg would be perfect, but .40 S&W is a good close second for me.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I would be happy if they just brought back the PT-1911AL. It is the best 1911 that they have ever made and it is a natural segway to a lightweight commander size 1911 that you can carry and it does not feel like a boat anchor on your hip, as well as an officer size 1911.

NTM, at the PT-1911 price point, there are no aluminium framed 1911's, in either full size, or commander, or officer size. Taurus could own that segment, or niche, without any competition for at least a few years. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the first aluminium framed 1911 comes in at over $1,000.

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
I would be happy if they just brought back the PT-1911AL. It is the best 1911 that they have ever made and it is a natural segway to a lightweight commander size 1911 that you can carry and it does not feel like a boat anchor on your hip, as well as an officer size 1911.

NTM, at the PT-1911 price point, there are no aluminium framed 1911's, in either full size, or commander, or officer size. Taurus could own that segment, or niche, without any competition for at least a few years. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the first aluminium framed 1911 comes in at over $1,000.
Nope!
at least it didn't!
Para made a commander size 1911 with an alloy frame that went at about 700-750 new.
I got one ,its jewel by the way. one of my a carry 1911's when I can put the CZ P-01 aside for while.
Currently Ruger makes their light weight at about 750-800 as well, at least that's about the going price at my gun shop/range.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Super Moderator
40,649 Posts
I'b be willing to field test the PT-?? chambered in .50 ae ;)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I completely agree with everything you've said in this thread and would very much like to see the suggestions you made come to life.

However, just so you know, that whole "Stainless Finish" thing was just a combination of poor translation on the US Website and Customer Service Reps not knowing what they were talking about. All of Taurus' "Stainless Steel" firearms are indeed constructed from Stainless Steel, not Carbon Steel with some sort of faux stainless coating.
Trust me, I looked into the matter extensively last year because I was in the market for a Stainless Judge, but wasn't willing to pay more for Stainless Steel if that wasn't in fact what I was getting, and upon looking into it thoroughly, I discovered that it was all just poor wording on the US Website. The website and Taurus' Catalogs have since been updated and now many of the product pages have been edited so that "Matte Stainless Finish" has been replaced with "Matte Stainless Steel" or just plain "Stainless Steel" to clear such confusion.
Furthermore, upon purchasing a Stainless Taurus Judge Magnum, I can personally confirm that it is indeed constructed from Stainless Steel which has been bead-blasted, because if you look inside of the cylinder or grip frame, there's no bead-blasting or finish of any kind, just bare metal with visible grain which is obviously Stainless Steel. But don't take my word for it, just search the forums for threads/posts from users who have polished their Stainless Taurus firearms, you'll see that it has been done by many users who didn't care for the matte bead-blasted finish, complete with before & after pics.

Reactions: FreeInAZ

·
Registered
5 Posts
A new 10mm 1911! Is that in the works? We need this to add to the other 1911 family of calibers.

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
A new 10mm 1911! Is that in the works? We need this to add to the other 1911 family of calibers.
Other FAMILY of calibers?
Like the 9 MM and 45 acp?
that's all Taurus produces to my knowledge?
as for the 10 MM I would imagine that they are waiting say another 10-12 years to introduce one after the market is saturated by other makers, kind of like they did with the Commander and Officers Model, by the way I haven't seen or heard much about (officer model).
With the Rock Island and Ruger 1911 ten millimeters on the table and the quality of those two entry level priced (but great quality) firearms I wouldn't be waiting on a Pt1911 -10MM if I wanted a 1911 in 10 MM myself.
Here is Rock Islands 10 MM, it is about 600-625 bucks or so, comes much better set up than a PT1911 with features such as G-10 grips, fully adjustable rear sight, Fiber Optic front sight in addition to the PT1911 features.
. This is the older version with the slide banner, the new version same pistol just no slide Banner is called the ULTRA.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts

https://www.efkfiredragon.com/

I own one of the 357sig conversion barrels and it's awesome to shoot. Also own the upgraded recoil spring damper/guide rod

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Am I the only one who feels like Taurus is not the company it was just 5 short years ago? Maybe it was the Lifetime Warranty no longer being lifetime that bothers me, or maybe they just don't have the quality they once had, but I hesitate when I think about buying a Taurus now.

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts
The size of the PT92 and the weight has always turned me off. A 10mm should be doable, though, and that would be interesting. :D

·
Super Moderator
40,649 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts