Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Missourians,
I understand my CCW in Iowa is good in MO. I also understand that carry of firearm in autos in MO is ok even without CCW as long as it is not concealed "after exiting the car".

My question is with regard to long guns. Can I carry a loaded long gun in my car and can it be laying in open sight on the back seat?

Thanks in advance, Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
gyror_cfi, it is my understanding that in Missouri any firearm, as long as the person who has it is legal (not a felon etc), can be carried in the vehicle loaded, unloaded, concealed, or open. Pretty much it is up to you! A number of the ranchers and farmers in this area always have a loaded rifle in the front seat with them for varmints. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
That is my understanding as well without digging out chapter and verse. A quick look b4 traveling IS always in order but I've traveled in that manner on many occasions.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Steve,

I think he is talking about inside his vehicle.

When I went through the CCW course in MO, it was my understanding that your vehicle is an extension of your home. So yes, you can carry a loaded rifle, concealed or not, inside your vehicle. Provided you are legally able to own the rifle.

"In addition to the concealed carry endorsement discussed above, Missouri now permits any person who is at least 21 years old to transport a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle. No concealed carry endorsement is required. Under the old law, the peaceable journey exception to the unlawful-use-of-a-weapon law permitted travelers on a continuous peaceable journey to carry a concealed weapon. The peaceable journey exception is still in the law, and may apply in circumstances where the new law does not (i.e. if the person is less than 21 years old). Also, any coroner, deputy coroner, medical examiner, or assistant medical examiner may carry a concealable firearm upon or about their person without an endorsement.

q: : Does a person carrying a weapon in a vehicle also have to have a permit for the gun? a a: : No. A weapon may be carried anywhere in a vehicle, even concealed on the person, under the vehicle exception

Note: Note: This law does not affect the law prohibiting possession of a concealable fire- arm by a dangerous felon."

www.mshp.dps.mo.gov [email protected] My sources, dated 03/13

·
Registered
134 Posts
Steve,

I think he is talking about inside his vehicle.

When I went through the CCW course in MO, it was my understanding that your vehicle is an extension of your home. So yes, you can carry a loaded rifle, concealed or not, inside your vehicle. Provided you are legally able to own the rifle.

"In addition to the concealed carry endorsement discussed above, Missouri now permits any person who is at least 21 years old to transport a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle. No concealed carry endorsement is required. Under the old law, the peaceable journey exception to the unlawful-use-of-a-weapon law permitted travelers on a continuous peaceable journey to carry a concealed weapon. The peaceable journey exception is still in the law, and may apply in circumstances where the new law does not (i.e. if the person is less than 21 years old). Also, any coroner, deputy coroner, medical examiner, or assistant medical examiner may carry a concealable firearm upon or about their person without an endorsement.

q: : Does a person carrying a weapon in a vehicle also have to have a permit for the gun? a a: : No. A weapon may be carried anywhere in a vehicle, even concealed on the person, under the vehicle exception

Note: Note: This law does not affect the law prohibiting possession of a concealable fire- arm by a dangerous felon."

www.mshp.dps.mo.gov [email protected] My sources, dated 03/13

You can only carry a concealable gun in your car loaded anywhere (that means a weapon less than 16 inches in length.) It did not change the law on long guns. You can carry a long gun loaded in your vehicle as long as it is in plain sight. It has always been this way on rifles and shotguns in mo. Only after sept 2011 could you carry a concealed weapon anywhere in your car if you were over 21..

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts