Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some have been frustrated because they tried the allen wrench in the package on the hex screws on the grips and have stripped them out... thinking that the screws were to tight in the bushings. The allen wrench included with the gun if for the REAR SIGHT only. It is to small to work on the hex screws. The hex screws are 3/32".

One person has told me that they have used the safety locking key to remove and install the grip screws. I haven't validated this myself, but I plan to try when I get home.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i had a similar question, you can get a multi tool for the colt SAA and the GLOCK series that contain every tool needed to completely dissassemble the gun, does that exist for the 1911?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen them for $35. Kind of like a Leatherman for the 1911

http://ezine.m1911.org/Pocketsmith_frame.htm

I've also looked at the safety lock key... it is a hollow hex wrench. Since it is hollow, I've a little nervous if it would collapse or twist when working with tight hex screws

·
Registered
91 Posts
knowing the cheap steal most hollow hex wrenches are, id be wary of using it for the grip screw. But they did send two of the safety keys right?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have ONLY used my safety key to adjust/remove/tighten the grip screws. I haven't had any issues with them, and simply thought it was a brilliant design function to make the hex slot the same size as the standard safety key...?

YMMV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts