Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: Dramatic moment a man with a concealed carry permit holds his gun up to a man he saw punching a woman in his car | Daily Mail Online

Dramatic footage captures tense moment 'hero' with a concealed carry permit stopped man he saw assaulting a woman in his car
  • The unidentified man was driving in Southlake near Dallas, Texas
  • He then saw suspect MacMichael Nwaiwu, 28, hitting his female passenger
  • In response he stepped out of his car and pulled out his weapon
  • The incident was captured on a cell phone by witnesses parked nearby
  • Nwaiwu was arrested on assault charges and taken into custody

By Wills Robinson For Dailymail.com

Published: 21:48 EST, 28 December 2014 | Updated: 08:34 EST, 29 December 2014

This is the dramatic moment a motorist with a concealed carry permit got out of his car and aimed his gun at a man who was punching a woman.

The unidentified man, hailed by witnesses as a hero, was driving along a road in the city of Southlake near Dallas, Texas, when he saw suspect MacMichael Nwaiwu, 28, attacking the female passenger on Friday.

He then pulled over, stepped out of the driver's side door and held up his weapon to the red car on the other side of the road.

244E84EA00000578-0-image-a-49_1419820326533.jpg
The unidentified man, hailed by witnesses as a hero, was driving along a road in the city of Southlake near Dallas, Texas,
when he saw a driver attacking the female passenger

Video footage captured by witness Lindsey Bryant on her cell phone shows Nwaiwu stepping out of the vehicle and holding his hands up.

She was sitting on a nearby intersection when she started filming and asked her sister Mistina Donald to call 911.

Moments later, patrol cars arrived at the scene and pointed their guns at the unnamed man, but they then took Nwaiwu into custody.

Donald told CBS DFW: 'It was intense not knowing whether bullets were going to start flying from either side of the street.

'It’s amazing that in this day in age that people are willing to reach out and help.'

Bryant added: 'I hope more people see this and are willing to go the extra mile for someone who like this woman, didn’t have a voice and couldn’t speak up for herself.'

Southlake Police Chief Steven Mylett said in a statement: While we commend this citizen's willingness to get involved in order to protect a victim of crime, the Southlake Police Department does not encourage the public to expose themselves in such a manner.'

MacMichael Nwaiwu, 28 has identified as the man in the red car and is in Keller Jail facing charges of assault

He insisted that instead witnesses call 911.

Nwaiwu was booked into the Keller Jell following his arrest for arrest.

In a post on the Southlake Department of Public Safety's Facebook page, Mylett added: 'Preliminary investigation revealed the individual with the firearm had observed an assault in progress inside a vehicle; specifically, a man physically assaulting his female front seat passenger.

'The witness, a concealed handgun license holder, believed the female passenger to be in imminent danger of a felony offense. When both vehicles stopped, the witness exited his vehicle and confronted the suspect of the assault at gunpoint.

'Vehicular traffic stopped in both directions on FM 1709 until police arrived.

'The suspect of the assault, identified as MacMichael Nwaiwu was arrested at the scene and transported to the Keller jail.

'Due to the unusual circumstances in this case, the Southlake Police Department consulted with the Tarrant County District Attorney's Office to determine if the witness had committed any violations of law.

'Based on the available information at the scene, the District Attorney's Office did not believe the witness violated any State law. The Southlake Police Department continues to investigate this incident and will work closely with the District Attorney's Office until this investigation is closed.'

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Wow. I once witnessed a man beating a woman in his car. I called the police, the police came, the woman denied everything and the man went free. Wish I had thought to film the incident. Of course, this was years ago back in MD, so....

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Bravo Zulu to the armed citizen. Looks like "legally" he did everything right. In this situation my response would have been gun at the ready and I would have approached outer door side telling him to stop/police are on the way. If I felt my life was at risk or if he did not stop, I would brandish weapon.

·
22,321 Posts
This is a great story! That guy is a hero!

Reactions: jamain

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
... I would brandish weapon.
I agree with your approach. However you would not be branishing your firearm in this instance.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I'm not sure somebody getting beaten is enough of a threat for me to actually consider pulling the weapon.

I'd tell the douchenozzle that I had already called 911 and that this was on video, but I don't think I'd remove the weapon from my holster.

I'm not a cop. When I carried, I carried to protect me and mine - and that's all.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I'm not sure somebody getting beaten is enough of a threat for me to actually consider pulling the weapon.

I'd tell the douchenozzle that I had already called 911 and that this was on video, but I don't think I'd remove the weapon from my holster.

I'm not a cop. When I carried, I carried to protect me and mine - and that's all.
Bingo. Barring serious bodily harm or threat of death, I think I would go for distraction.

·
Registered
14,732 Posts
People die from beatings all the time. One punch has been known to kill someone.

The above needs to be considered by those that do not think a beating warrants the amount of response this guy gave.

He was there, he saw how hard the guy was punching the woman. Obviously it was enough to make him use his firearm.

And it appears law enforcement and witnesses agree.

I applaud his actions.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Great point brought up in my CC class ( applies to NC if not any other state)

You are justified in using your gun for another person as long as they are in a position to legally use it themselves.

If that sounds vague: If you are put into a position where you are legally allowed to pull your gun - then another person can pull theirs in your defense and vice versa.

Reasons ( in NC) you can use your gun in self defense: To stop imminent death, great bodily harm, rape or sexual assault, and arson provided the targeted occupancy is occupied.

Your biggest legal concern here would be as somebody else mention: The police would show up and the woman would deny everything leaving you looking like a jackass and being charged with brandishing.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
So I forgot my whole reason I posted my last post: "great bodily harm"

What is it, how much is it and how do you rate it?

What is a small amout to me might be a bunch to you. Our instructor has a few steel rods and pins in his neck or upper spine. Can't remember which.

So a hit to the had that might just give me a black eye may possibly cause him to become paralyzed, on life support or even death.

A hit to me being a pretty big man ( 6'2" and lately hitting around 286 lbs - but I'm working on it) may just be a hit. A hit to somebody who is 100 pounds ( or more) less than me can be twice as bad.

Point is, I am not required to see how bad it feels before I defend myself.

Reactions: RScottie

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
So I forgot my whole reason I posted my last post: "great bodily harm"

What is it, how much is it and how do you rate it?

What is a small amout to me might be a bunch to you. Our instructor has a few steel rods and pins in his neck or upper spine. Can't remember which.

So a hit to the had that might just give me a black eye may possibly cause him to become paralyzed, on life support or even death.

A hit to me being a pretty big man ( 6'2" and lately hitting around 286 lbs - but I'm working on it) may just be a hit. A hit to somebody who is 100 pounds ( or more) less than me can be twice as bad.

Point is, I am not required to see how bad it feels before I defend myself.
Yeah, but what about someone else? This is the real question here.

To me, without a clearly mortal threat, pulling your pistol is a baaaaaaad idea. Some guy hitting his wife?

No. Not mortal. Not unless he's hitting her with something that one could reasonably expect to be fatal (bat, axe, hatchet, hammer), I'm not clearing leather. This guy's probably beaten his wife dozens of times - maybe hundreds. He knows what his wife can take. Sadly, he's an expert. You're an interloper.

And potentially in jail for a number of charges. Stay out of other people's business!

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
This guy's probably beaten his wife dozens of times - maybe hundreds. He knows what his wife can take. Sadly, he's an expert. You're an interloper.

And potentially in jail for a number of charges. Stay out of other people's business!

That might possibly be the saddest damn thing I ever seen anybody type on this site.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Hero maybe, I wouldn't risk my ass unless I'm threatened. Could have been a pimp and ho. I don't think my NRA membership covers pimp's and ho's.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Here is a story relayed by my CC instructor as best I can remember it.

A CC man was walking down the street at night when he crossed an alley.
He looked down the alley to see a bum slam a woman up against the brick wall of a building, face first.
He pulled his weapon and aimed then yelled "get off of her!".
The bum turned to him. pointing something and shouting "I'll.." BANG the CC man fires, hitting the under cover officer in the chest.
The prostitute runs the other way.

I'm sorry but I would find it hard to attempt to defend someone I do not know.
They had the same opportunity to sit next to me n CC class.

·
Super Moderator
26,970 Posts
I would hope, that in the same circumstances, I would do the same. Whatever the legal penalties.
We are meant to be the human race after all.
Having said that I would NEVER criticize someone that did not.

·
Registered
14,732 Posts
Yeah, but what about someone else? This is the real question here.

To me, without a clearly mortal threat, pulling your pistol is a baaaaaaad idea. Some guy hitting his wife?

No. Not mortal. Not unless he's hitting her with something that one could reasonably expect to be fatal (bat, axe, hatchet, hammer), I'm not clearing leather. This guy's probably beaten his wife dozens of times - maybe hundreds. He knows what his wife can take. Sadly, he's an expert. You're an interloper.

I would have no idea if the man and the woman are husband/wife, man/hooker, pimp/ho, man/abductee, brother/sister, etc. etc.

To me it does not matter.

What matters is what I have observed at that moment. Did I see a couple arguing and maybe a slap or did I see full on closed fist punches?

Do I just observe and call 911 or do I draw and attempt to stop the punches? Do I fire?

All of this would get processed and all of it would determine my response.

And, I can guarantee you that I would be able to back up my reasoning if I decided that I had to get involved in order to save someone's life.

Reactions: TexasAviator
1 - 20 of 62 Posts