Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a rough rider. In the catalog, it is listed as 22lr only. I assume it is because it only came with a 22lr cylinder. The owners manual says that it will shoot mags with a magnum cylinder. Is the only difference between the two the casings. Are the bullets the same diameter?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I recently acquired a rough rider. In the catalog, it is listed as 22lr only. I assume it is because it only came with a 22lr cylinder. The owners manual says that it will shoot mags with a magnum cylinder. Is the only difference between the two the casings. Are the bullets the same diameter?
Not exactly, a .22WMR bullet is .224 in diameter whereas .22LR is .223, but the Rough Rider's barrel will accommodate both. However, the case diameter is different, ergo you need to use the proper cylinder at all times. .22LR will fit into a .22WMR cylinder, bit fits too loosely and thus attempting to fire .22LR from a .22WMR cylinder could cause the cartridge to split or burst, thus exposing the shooter to hot gasses and bits of brass.

That said, .22WMR cylinders can be purchased separately, and they aren't very expensive.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
The bullets are not the same diameter, but close enough. .22 Mag is .224 vs .223 in the LR. I believe Tuco's numbers are for the case. Most manufacturers make just one bore for their .22's. Converible or not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a coupon in the box it came in for another cylinder. I ordered another lr, but I got a mag. Just want to make sure before I fire it. From what the owners manual said, I was pretty sure they were compatible. Just wanted some feedback.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I promise, I'm not trying to be a Heritage Rough Rider basher but I hope you have better luck with yours than I did.

My RR is a mess. Shoots all over the place trying all different brands of ammo. Worst purchase I ever made. These things are good or not.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
I had a coupon in the box it came in for another cylinder. I ordered another lr, but I got a mag. Just want to make sure before I fire it. From what the owners manual said, I was pretty sure they were compatible. Just wanted some feedback.
DO NOT mix lr and magnum in the same cylinder ! The projectile (bullet) is the same diameter and the barrel will accommodate both, but there are enough significant differences in the cartridges that you will regret not matching ammo to cylinder ... Trust me on this...

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I've been jonesin' for a Rough Rider for a while now. Thing is, it's easy to find the 6" barrel and not so easy to find the RR22MB4 which is the 4.75" barrel. If I could find a 4.75" for around that $129.00 price, I'd bite.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
My dad bought one for I think $139 out the door at a LGS a couple years ago.

You just have to shop around.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've been jonesin' for a Rough Rider for a while now. Thing is, it's easy to find the 6" barrel and not so easy to find the RR22MB4 which is the 4.75" barrel. If I could find a 4.75" for around that $129.00 price, I'd bite.
Kentucky Gun has them on sale in 4" or 6" barrels, 22lr only for $105 but they are blems.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.