Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Taurus now owns Heritage, and I am pretty sure that the Gaucho pre dates the Heritage Big Bore. What I'm curious about is are they the same gun?

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I believe Heritage was a separate independent US company at the time when Taurus made the Gaucho. If I recollect correctly the owners of Heritage were retiring and sold the Company to Taurus. The sale occurred after Taurus stopped making the Gaucho.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
In one word, no. They are very different! Yes, they are both SAA, but that's it.

Reactions: Rossi

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I have a Heritage 22/22mag which is fun to shoot but my 45LC Gaucho is my favorite Taurus. Of course, I haven't received my new Raging Bull yet. She is still in (Limbo) Layaway.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
The Heritage Big Bores are not actually made by Heritage.... They purchase the guns as kits, import the kits from Italy, and assemble them at the plant in Miami.

This is not to suggest there is anything wrong with the guns, on the contrary, they are very nice guns and I have one near the top of my must have list this year.

Don

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Heritage Big Bores are not actually made by Heritage.... They purchase the guns as kits, import the kits from Italy, and assemble them at the plant in Miami.

This is not to suggest there is anything wrong with the guns, on the contrary, they are very nice guns and I have one near the top of my must have list this year.

Don
So I can assume they are made by Uberti? I am thinking about trying my hand at cowboy action shooting. Need two pistols trying to be as frugal as I can!

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
So I can assume they are made by Uberti? I am thinking about trying my hand at cowboy action shooting. Need two pistols trying to be as frugal as I can!
If your interested in trying it, i will assume you already found a range that does it, and have been to see it? If not go do that, and then if you like it, volunteer to help with setup and breakdown. This will get you known to all of the people who do it regularly, they will no doubt ask you questions, feel free to tell them exactly what you want to do. If you make friends with some of them, and this really should be easy to do as SASS people are about the most friendly of the ones i have seen in competition shooting. You might just find some that are willing to let you borrow equipment, i.e. guns, for your matches. This is what happened for me, they all knew i was saving up for my gear and untill i was able to afford it, i had 3 different people who offered to let me use what they had when i competed, all i had to do was use my own ammo and be willing to help them clean the guns after. even though every single one of them took the guns to clean themselves.

but most important, i ran into more then one person who wanted to sell what they had, i picked up a Uberti carbine in 357, a 20 ga coach gun, and 2 colt 4 inch barrel 357's for $1,000 that way from a guy who wanted to upgrade.

also your targets are going to be steel plates, that you typically will only have to knock down with the shotgun, and the targets are CLOSE, so you dont really have to have 45lc and 12ga, the vast majority of shooters at the top of the ranking in my club shoot 38 special in both rifle and carbine and 20 ga and all of them said it was for the same reason, they can get back on target faster with less recoil.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts

No Greg... they are made by Pietta.

Don

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
No Greg... they are made by Pietta.

Don
If they're made by Pietta, then buy a Pietta. From the prices I've seen, the Case hardened Pietta is cheaper than the standard Black Pietta labelled heritage.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The Gaucho frames are forged and stronger than the Ruger Vaquero, but not as strong as a Blackhawk. They also have a transfer bar firing pin so you can carry a round chambered under the hammer safely. Don't know about the Heritage.

·
Registered
880 Posts
question. I just picked up a gaucho case color 5.5 inch barrel. excellent condition except for one thing. when i let the trigger down (according to manual) or dry fire i can still pull the trigger. i can see and feel the firing pin. should the trigger be unable to be pulled back once you dry fire? Ohter than this the gun is sweet. i haven't had the time to shoot it yet is just came in.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
The Gaucho frames are forged and stronger than the Ruger Vaquero, but not as strong as a Blackhawk. They also have a transfer bar firing pin so you can carry a round chambered under the hammer safely. Don't know about the Heritage.
The only difference between the Vaquero and the Blackhawk is one has fixed sights and the other has adjustable ones.

The original Vaquero were just as strong as contemporary Blackhawks. I know that's true because I called Ruger to verify that my early .45Colt Vaquero would take hot .45Colt reloads and shooting Corbon '+P+ Hunting' factory loads.

The difference comes in when the 'NEW MODEL' Blackhawk and Vaqueros were released. They are on a smaller frame than earlier models and are the same size as a Colt SAA or clone. The .45Colt models of these guns are NOT rated for shooting the hotter reloads or the +P+ Hunting factory ammo.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The only difference between the Vaquero and the Blackhawk is one has fixed sights and the other has adjustable ones.

The original Vaquero were just as strong as contemporary Blackhawks. I know that's true because I called Ruger to verify that my early .45Colt Vaquero would take hot .45Colt reloads and shooting Corbon '+P+ Hunting' factory loads.

The difference comes in when the 'NEW MODEL' Blackhawk and Vaqueros were released. They are on a smaller frame than earlier models and are the same size as a Colt SAA or clone. The .45Colt models of these guns are NOT rated for shooting the hotter reloads or the +P+ Hunting factory ammo.
Wasn't aware that there are two different versions of the Vaquero. The only ones I have seen have a thinner top strap with a sighting grove down the center (making it even weaker), and all of those are are cast frames and weaker than the Gaucho. IMO, even the New Model Blackhawks, although all cast frames, are still much stronger than the Gaucho. But shooting above standard pressure .45LC ammo in either a Vaquero or Gaucho is not smart. If you want to push the .45LC above standard pressures, start with a stronger pistol, like the Blackhawk. Even a Judge is stronger than a Vaquero or Gaucho, but much weaker than a Blackhawk.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
My Heritage BB is in .357, and I really like it. I believe it's strong enough to handle all factory .357 loads, even the hotter ones. I think it's when you enter the reloading world that you encounter "Ruger only" loads. Might be different with .45lc, as Buffalo Bore says there are a few modern guns that that some of their ammo is too powerful for.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
If you want to push the .45LC above standard pressures, start with a stronger pistol, like the Blackhawk. Even a Judge is stronger than a Vaquero or Gaucho, but much weaker than a Blackhawk.[/QUOTE]

I would be very interested in knowing if your stating your opinion or do you actually have something factual to support your claims?

Don

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Pistols developed to shoot the .357 Mag are designed to handle pressures exceeding the SAMMI max spec of 35,000 psi, while those for the .45LC were designed around a 14,000 psi cartridge, that is quite a difference IMO. Many of the older pistol designs see a large improvement through the use of new modern metals, but unless the design has been significantly improved too, I would be hesitant to use ammo that exceeds the SAMMI standard.

In any case, these new SA pistols, like the Hertitages, Taylors, Gauchos, Vequeros, and other clones of earlier pistols, have for the most part been developed for cowboy sports and not for hunting, or other uses where you might want to use higher powered ammo. If you want to run high powered loads, I would suggest you start with a pistol designed to handle those higher pressures, like a Blackhawk or Freedom Arms.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Pistols developed to shoot the .357 Mag are designed to handle pressures exceeding the SAMMI max spec of 35,000 psi, while those for the .45LC were designed around a 14,000 psi cartridge, that is quite a difference IMO. Many of the older pistol designs see a large improvement through the use of new modern metals, but unless the design has been significantly improved too, I would be hesitant to use ammo that exceeds the SAMMI standard.

In any case, these new SA pistols, like the Hertitages, Taylors, Gauchos, Vequeros, and other clones of earlier pistols, have for the most part been developed for cowboy sports and not for hunting, or other uses where you might want to use higher powered ammo. If you want to run high powered loads, I would suggest you start with a pistol designed to handle those higher pressures, like a Blackhawk or Freedom Arms.
While some of this last post of yours might be correct it doesn't address what I asked....

As has already been stated in an earlier post the inherent strength of the Vaquaro and the Blackhawk frames are virtually the same. You have chosen to include the Vaquero in a comparison of imported clones (of which there is nothing in your post to substantiate claims of weaker frames) which really has nothing to do with your earlier claim that the frames of the Vaquero and the Gaucho frames are somehow weaker than the Blackhawk or even the Judge.

I am researching a subject along similar lines and just wanted to know if you have actual information to share or are you simply stating an unsubstantiated opinion.

Don

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Again, from the Vaqueros I have seen, they are in no way as strong as ANY of the Blackhawks I have seen. Bob Morris, then CEO of TaurusUSA, told me point blank that the Gaucho's forged frame made it stronger than the cast framed Vaquero. Anyone really think the Gaucho is as strong as any of the Blackhawks, even the smaller framed New Models? Don't know who from Ruger is saying the Vaquero is as strong as the Blackhawk, but I am not buying any of that. In general just looking at the Vaquero, they have a narrower and thinner top strap than any of the Blackhawks.

Looking through old articles written by Brian Pearce on the .44 Special, which has thicker cylinder walls and therefore can handle higher pressures than the same model in .45LC, he says that in his experience the New Model Blackhawk in .44 Special, can handle up to 25,000 psi (Handloader Magazine JUN-JUL 2009, page 32). In another article (Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt Handloads, Handloader magazine, OCT-NOV 2014, page 18) he goes on to say, "...the Redhawk .45 Colt is about 30 % stronger than Blackhawk .45 Colt Revolvers built on the ".44" or large frame. For decades Blackhawk .45 Colt guns have been digesting handloads and factory loads from Buffalo Bore, Corbon, Grizzly Cartridge and others that generate around 32,000 CUP without problems..."

Again though, why would anyone want to push SA revolvers meant to only handle target loads to much higher pressures is beyond me? I went through this with a Taurus Thunderbolt in .45LC and discovered in short order that it is not designed for hunting, but only for cowboy sports where they only see target loads. Not saying someone could not design a clone of the Colt Lighting that could be used for hunting, but that the Thunderbolt's design target was cowboy sports and not hunting. The Vaquero and the Gaucho are singularly IMO not suited for anything other than cowboy sports. Taking either of them above standard pressure loads is beyond their respective design goals.

As far as any of the SA Colt, or that era clones, on the market for cowboy sports, they are IMO not as strong as either the Ruger Vaquero or the Taurus Gaucho.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts