Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Barkeep out for an afternoon range test. Today's target was at 7 yards and I used 8 different types of 22LR ammo.

So how does this diminutive cowboy shooter handle? Using a manual eject rod versus frame ejector; I found it to be a little easier for me to use the manual ejector rod. Often when ejecting 22 out of other Heritage revolvers I bang up my trigger finger on the ejector tab because I am slightly off center. With the manual rod you get a much better grip. Sights; well they are cowboy sights...with a dab of orange paint you can pretty much make out the front blade in the frame channel. But it is a thin sight and easy to lose the sight picture. This is not a knock on the barkeep , many SA revolvers have a thin blade. The action was as expected, I had no problems firing. As the cylinder got dirty, the occasional CCI case would stick a bit. Also my last run was the CCI 40grn PRN and you can see some tumbling. This may have been a dirty barrel bore..so I would throw out that test. Today with this revolver; WWB 555 bulk, Rem subsonic, CCI stinger and SV all put up good groups. If I take my time and focus on accuracy any of those would probably group around 2". Good enough for range fun, but probably not for small varmint control, unless close up. The squirrels and other rodents around here won't pose for you, so hitting a moving critter with this would sure be some fancy shooting.
Uses; Fun range toy, good starter for a new shooter or young one, light enough for kids. Now if it was in a bigger bore ( come on Heritage how about a 32? ) This would make a viable conceal weapon. But for now I will let my young shooters try it out, if they prefer my 22 auto's I will probably sell this. For $200 though everyone should get to try this puppy out - not gonna break the bank feeding it.

·
Administrator
35,530 Posts
Thanks for the writeup, I guess I'm surprised that it's not more accurate than you are stating. Still, it looks like a fun range gun and would give a new shooter experience in taking shells out and reloading a SA.

·
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked gunbroker,,heck I got a great deal at $199. Looks like they will be selling in the mid to high $200's plus shipping and tax.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Thanks for the review.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Super Moderator
37,017 Posts
Nice report, thanks! I also think that a larger bore would be the kicker for me.

Reactions: silverstring
1 - 7 of 7 Posts