Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it happened again. I dropped by my fav LGS to deliver a part to Don, and a few odds and ends. He got a shipment in today. A few Taurus 66's in silver finish, and several Girsan 1911's. Nothing I was that interested in. Turned to the optic shelves and lo and behold there were both versions of the new Barkeep relaxing on the felt shelf.

The price was $20 over MSRP at $199. I held it for a bit and told them it was coming home with me. This version of the Barkeep is better looking and feeling for me than the pearl grip version. The beautiful wood grips are pretty wide, which suits my bear paws just fine. You can see the cylinder eject tool in the box. It feels substantial enough to do the job.

My barkeep has a 2 5/8" long barrel. it weighs in at 26.2 oz's unloaded. Overall Length: 7.95", Overall Width:
1.50", Overall Height: 4.86".

Some Heritage's I have owned in the past had very difficult to remove and install cylinders, not the case with this revolver. The locking pin came right out allowing the cylinder to drop free. I did a light clean and lube and began to check out how it handles. The trigger pull weighs 1lb 7oz's with my wheeler digital, nice enough for a SA system. Some observations - the beautiful scroll grips aren't fitted perfectly , but this ain't no Colt. The hammer spring has a solid 4 clicks and they are definite, almost too stiff. I am sure it will wear in with shooting. Cylinder lockup, there is some rotational movement about 1/32". no movement front to back. I would say pretty typical Heritage quality. The finish is about 99%. There are a few small variations, and surface mars. But once again typical Heritage quality.

For comparison I put it next to my S&W 60-15 to help you visualize its size. The box came with an order form for a 22 mag cylinder for $29.99 with free shipping, I am considering that. But not sure if a short barrel running 22 mag is going to be much better than a standard barrel shooting 22LR. Tomorrow it is supposed be in the low 50's, I will do some accuracy testing and report back.

·
Administrator
35,309 Posts
That is one handsome 22 ! Makes me wish I was tending bar in a wild west saloon with that hidden under my shirt. :cool: Great report so far, looking forward to seeing more information on your testing. Congrats !

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
Great write up and insight. I kind of agree with your view on the use of mag ammunition on a 2" barrel 22 revolver producing any true measurable power. However, it does offer ammunition flexibility if running low on 22lr.

I sent an email to my local FFL yesterday and inquired as to when he may seen one or if he had any on order. He replied within a couple of hours that he just received one a couple of hours ago. He quoted me a price of $199.99. On line I read that MSRP was going to be $189.99, but you're saying it is actually $199.99 once it hit the retail shelves. I passed on it for now, I figure that I have never paid full retail MSRP for any fire arm and wasn't going to start now.

Enjoy it, it looks like fun!!

·
22,309 Posts
I like it, but I really don't understand why they put that big old grip on there, instead of a birdshead.

Reactions: silverstring
1 - 7 of 7 Posts