Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from Columbus Oh. and live on the Westside. close by where I live is a mall called The Westland Mall..

And like all malls you have exterior store, JcPenny, Sears, Macy's,ect.ect.ect. And from with in these stores you can enter the mall, or you can enter the mall directly....

Now if you enter the Mall directly you'll see that silly no weapons sign on the doors...But, if you enter the Sear's store they do not have the no weapons sign... they don't care if you carry in their stores.

Now the touchy part.

Let's say your from out of town or out of state. You're in your RV. traveling and decide to stop at Sears and check on a Die-Hard battery for the rv.

You pull into the parking lot, park the Rv. and you're carrying. you go into Sears cause its ok to carry in Sears. While you're in Sears the wife say's Honey lets look around in the Mall while we're here. You say ok and off to the mall you go.

Now entering the mall from Sears its all open no doors. No doors no signs.. Remember the no weapons sign is on the doors to the Mall from the outside.

So my question is, Are you in violation are not???? and WHY...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can't say about Ohio, but in Texas all doors must be posted. In fact there is a mall just north of Dallas and they have a sign posted on one door the right size and placement to make it unlawful to carry through that door. All the other doors have no such sign. There are 18 doors (it's a big mall). I carry right on in like I own the place, I just use one of the other 17 doors.
You should check the laws in Ohio, I double checked the law here and there must be a sign on every door.
Also if the sign isn't of legal size and posted correctly then it means nothing, a little "no guns allowed" don't slow me down unless it's at the race track :)

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
In Mn a landlord can't post the building. Meaning that a mall (to include the Mall of America which is illegally posted) can not be posted no weapons.

But with the messed up Ohio carry laws (from what little I know of them) I'd look hard for clarification on this one. Maybe find an Ohio carry organization, they should either know the answer or know who to talk to.

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
small world.. i know exactly what you're talking about sears has a entrance into the mall from inside the store.. its' been a long time since i went into westland mall though.. it's slowly dying.. so i dont know if there are any "no guns" signs up or not..

but the way i understand it there has to be a sign at the entrance you entered so putting them at the main entrances is not enough if you enter a secondary door and it does not have a sign then you've not broken any law the way i understand it.. however they can always ask you to leave and if you dont it's a crime.. however they can't charge you for just being there carrying if they dont have a sign up.

so either sears would need a sign.. or there would need to be a sign by the entry way leading into the mall.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Contact the Ohio State Attorney General for clarification. They'll actually send you documentation on State letterhead that you can carry with you if you like.

·
Registered
17 Posts
joe sixpack said:
but the way i understand it there has to be a sign at the entrance you entered so putting them at the main entrances is not enough if you enter a secondary door and it does not have a sign then you've not broken any law the way i understand it.. however they can always ask you to leave and if you dont it's a crime.. however they can't charge you for just being there carrying if they dont have a sign up.

so either sears would need a sign.. or there would need to be a sign by the entry way leading into the mall.
Why would they ask you to leave if they don't know your armed? The word is concealed folks, if you can see it then your breaking the law anyway and I'd ask you to leave :)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
frickinnuts said:
Why would they ask you to leave if they don't know your armed? The word is concealed folks, if you can see it then your breaking the law anyway and I'd ask you to leave :)
we have open carry in ohio, so no law broke there bud, maybe check your facts next time.
btw just cause you think it's concealed dose'nt mean someone wont notice it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
joe sixpack said:
we have open carry in ohio, so no law broke there bud, maybe check your facts next time.
btw just cause you think it's concealed dose'nt mean someone wont notice it.

Jeez, is no one allowed to make a mistake without someone always having to throw an insult around?? FYI, if someone is noticing your concealed weapon, maybe you're not carrying it right!! lol!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think it may be time to shut this one down :deadhorse:

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Yes...it is time to shut this one down.

This thread is now locked---let's try to behave and play nice with each other. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.