Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I picked up my Metro Arms American Classic Commander today.

Some thoughts.God it's heavy...like...wow......

the rounds are HUGE(biggest I've dealt with is .40 S&W)...I'm giddy like a kid over this, can'cha tell?

Taylor Carroll of Carroll's Gun and Police Supply was so cool, too. The pistol didn't come with so much as a box, but he threw in a spare magazine and even went so far as photocopying the manual for a Colt 1911 and showed me how to take it apart for cleaning.the magazines make me grin a bit. The one it came with is stamped Kimber, and the one he threw in is stamped Colt. High-end magazines for a low-end pistol.OTD was $485 and some change, including two boxes of Federal 230-grain FMJs and a box of Hornady Critical Defense 185-Grain JHPs.

The Colt magazine is a tight fit, but it fits, and it feeds and cycles just fine. The Kimber magazine fits like a glove, and works great. I ran two magazines through it, just to make sure everything worked. Recoil is manageable, far less than I expected, however. I'd wager it kicks less than my PT111.

Takedown is a bit more involved than I'm used to. Took a while of studying the Colt manual and fiddling with the pistol to get it all apart and cleaned(which it really wasn't that dirty to begin with). The grip safety will take some getting used to, as it makes it a bit difficult to lower the hammer over the empty chamber unless I use both hands. The Grips seem to be aftermarket. They have a cutout for an Ambidextrous safety, when the pistol doesn't come with one from the factory. The grips have a bit of wear, probably from a holster, but it's nothing that bothers me. The metal is spotless and bright, the bore is nice and strong. Whoever owned it before me shot it very little.

I have pictures, yes. But the pictures are kinda bad. Stupid Android always annoys the Hell out of me when I try to use it's camera. Took at least 6 tries to get what I have.

·
Super Moderator
27,042 Posts
In the final pic....dems big cartridges for a 1911????
Congrats.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Rodfair, no, if I think I know what you're talking about, that box is a box of spare .32 Auto for my dad's old German pistol...talk about culture shock, compare the two rounds side-by-side.

@bmbroker, I think it's already happened. I can't put the thing down. Even now, It's laying up against my leg on my bed with me. I need to treat it to some more magazines, and a nice holster, I'm thinking.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Nice new addition!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Good looking gun! I HAVE to get a 1911!

·
Super Moderator
21,612 Posts
Another 1911 man joins the rank. Once bitten :) And the thunder rolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Sweet looking piece.....I know you'll enjoy!!!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I haven't heard anything but good things about your 1911. Enjoy it. It probably won't be your last.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Congrats on your 1911, Noob. I was out shooting my 1918 Colt M-1911 today. It's a REAL gun.
Centerfiresystems.com has some pretty good 7 round mags for $6.99. They work in my Colt and Llama just fine. They may not last forever, but it's nice to load up a bunch before you go out to shoot. :guns:

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Congrats, I have never shot a 1911 but it seems that the follows of this weapon are as loyal as the PT92 / 99 clan. Enjoy.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Congrats, 1911's are habit forming.

I'll have add Metro Arms to my roster of 1911 makers.

I lost track a few years back as the number climb to aroun 25.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the warm welcome to "The Brotherhood". I let my brother(Bearer of my PT840), shoot it today after he got off work, and he was very surprised at it's lack of recoil. He wasn't fond of the scrollmark on the slide, and tried to talk me into taking it up to his work to have it milled off, and he was even more surprised to learn it wasn't Stainless, but chromed steel. But, at the price, and what it is....eh. I love it. It's taken my PT111's place on my nightstand(Sorry Mighty Mite...you just got demoted to desk drawer status....)

As for magazines, I'm looking for more 8 round mags...the Colt and Kimber ones, similar to what I have, run about $17-$18 a pop, but I saw Chip McCormick mags on sale for $13....since I'm new to the 1911 Cult, would you guys be so kind as to share your secret sources of cheap magazines? Please? :D

·
Super Moderator
36,795 Posts
You had better get ready because ALL of your other firearms are gonna be JEALOUS !! :D

(congrats on the new pistol!)

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I have a couple of Chip McCormick power mags and I like them better than the factory mags. I think they were around 20 bucks each, but a good mag is worth every penny and will keep your 1911 rockin and rollin.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congratulations on a fine acquisition!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Nice looking gun man :) And you won't go wrong with some Chip Mccormick mags thats for sure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts