Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOURCE:
DoubleTap: Heizer Shows Off Its Smallest, Lightest .45 Pistol | Video | TheBlaze.com

Double-Tap_2.jpg

DoubleTapBarrel.jpg

Heizer Defense - Creators of DoubleTap™

Posted on March 28, 2012

At the 2012 Shot Show, Heizer Firearms was introducing the smallest .45 caliber pistol that money can buy. It’s 5/8ths of an inch wide and weighs less than a pound.

According to Heizer’s website, the DoubleTap is the world’s smallest and lightest .45 ACP concealed carry pistol on the market, and it has several patents pending. Two rounds can be stored in the gun’s chamber with two additional bullets in the grip. Here’s more info on the pistol from the press release:
The break-action features a patent-pending progressive barrel porting option that cuts muzzle rise and recoil. The ambidextrous thumb latch releases the action and automatically ejects the spent rounds.
Unlike any firearm, the DoubleTap features a truly revolutionary double-action trigger system that utilizes ball bearings for a smooth action and crisp trigger pull.

The aluminum and titanium versions start at $499 and $729 respectively. It also comes in a 9MM version.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Looks pretty much like a rethink of the old derringers. I'm bettin' it kills on both ends too. And if you don't already suffer enough loss of muzzle velocity from the short barrels, all those ports will see to it that the rounds coming out are truly anemic. I'm also thinkin' if you have to do a tactical reload after two shots, it's not very good tactics. Interesting idea, but I doubt that they're going to sell a lot of them. You've probably already guessed that they won't be selling one to me. For $499-$729 there are much better choices in a small pistol.

·
Registered
123 Posts
that is cool. Might have to get me one someday

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On another blog, there was an expressed preference for a Glock 36 for about the same price.

I would like to see Taurus make a PT745 Slim (NOT the current PT 745 that is a single stack PT 145), or Ruger make an LC45 similar to their LC9.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
This little pistol has some interesting features, the trigger system for one. But, for anything other than a last resort hideout, kind of a back up to your back up, I don't see this as being a solution to much of anything as a defensive weapon. As a covert offensive weapon it has some definite potential. I expect that the felt recoil is substantial and control at anything other than contact distances is likely difficult. I can't see the porting being an asset as it would create a place for pocket lint and dirt to get into the barrels and as said above, the barrel is essentially ported right back to the nose of the bullet. That will severely hamper bullet performance. It's a nice looking little pocket popper, but for most of us it's only going to be a novelty.

·
5,686 Posts
I first saw this in an issue of rifleman. It looks bigger than I expected in his hands. In the magazine it shows the picture and says "actual size", could be deceiving I guess. The saloon poker players and women of the day liked their derringer's. I guess this is nothing more than the new and improved? I'm not sure it would be much fun to shoot, but then if you had to use it....... I guess one could say, it's better than nothing at all.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I know a LCP in 380 is about 10 ounces and that things a handful, this thing looks worse, why not make it in 44 mag if your going to go for a stupid powerful pocket gun? =P this thing is purely a belly gun and I think I would order one without the porting if I did, but for basically back up to backup guns I'd rather get a NAA 22mag and have 5 shots ya know. Now if I wanted something that's just insane to shoot for it's size there's always this 45-70 derringer

But I will admit these look kinda cool I just hate to see how much your balistics drop in those short barrels, why get the blast of a 45 if you don't have hardly any barrel to make it worth while?

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
snip

I guess one could say, it's better than nothing at all.

Maybe it would be good at impressing someone that you didn't want to do whatever it was they were forcing you to do - but if you had to pull the trigger, you'd better be at contact range.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
No thanks....I'll just keep my little PT145 and it's 10+1 capacity :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
the one thing i see that i think all are overlooking is that its a 2 barrells at once shot. I think that is why its called 'double tap'. Correct me if i'm wrong. Could you imagine the recoil of 2 .45 rounds going off at the same time in your hand???

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
the one thing i see that i think all are overlooking is that its a 2 barrells at once shot. I think that is why its called 'double tap'. Correct me if i'm wrong. Could you imagine the recoil of 2 .45 rounds going off at the same time in your hand???
Probably look a lot like that 45-70 derringer video. I'm not sure 'double tap' is the right name for it though. Perhaps they should have called it the "Carpal Tunnel." :D

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Probably look a lot like that 45-70 derringer video. I'm not sure 'double tap' is the right name for it though. Perhaps they should have called it the "Carpal Tunnel." :D
My hand winced just watching that thing, so of course I had to pass it on. =P But yeah I kinda throught this is a one shot at a time deal but it looks like it does shoot both barrels at once. All i know is I know of a guy who got one of those 45-70 derringers, he shot it once and brought it back to the gun store the same day and traded it in =P

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
btw looks like it does alternate between barrels, so you can shoot one saturday and when your hands done being packed in ice you can shoot the other one sunday. It seems like it's still a good sized gun doesn't look much smaller then a pocket 380, I'll take my P238 and have 6+1 with nightsites in a package I can actually shoot well.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I like the idea but I think the thing should be renamed the hand destroyer... I've shot a PM45 and that was bad enough. But for those that want it I bet they always carry it. There's just no reason not to carry something that compact. But I can't help but think a .38 special might be just as functional while being less hand destroying.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i still don't see how it selects between the barrels. I need to see it shooting.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I like the idea but I think the thing should be renamed the hand destroyer... I've shot a PM45 and that was bad enough. But for those that want it I bet they always carry it. There's just no reason not to carry something that compact. But I can't help but think a .38 special might be just as functional while being less hand destroying.
Personally I think a little snubnose revolver would be alot more functional, you got 5 in one of those, 6 if you go for something like a 327 federal. I mean it's 45acp but it's also only two shots and really the size to me something like a 380 or a 709 would make more sense to ya know. I'm sure someone will buy it. For some reason it reminds me of those old COP 357 derringers that have 4 barrels and it alternates fire between those four barrels.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts