Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own one of the Henry survival rifle. Saw how cheap they were the other day and makes me want to get one. I've read mixed reviews online ranging from there great to they can't hit the broad side of a barn at 50 yards. Just looking for some first hand input.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Interesting concept but I think if I were to go this route I would rather had a Mossberg JIC little more money but also a lot more gun.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
You know what, i really like the looks and concept of that little .22 LR S/A. Been admiring them for well over a year, but like you said, the reviews are mixed. Sometimes you have to weed out the bad reviews that simply say "They're Crap, Wish I Never Bought One!!", but every now and then someone will give a detailed and informative review of the problems.

The biggest plague to those i believe is proper cleaning before and after shooting. Due to it's compact size and disassembly/storage capability, the worst thing you can do is store it dirty for long periods of time. I would personally buy one if it's at the right price. Maybe i'll consider getting one some day.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I was seriously, seriously looking into a gun of that type a couple years ago. All I had to do was pick up the Henry Survival Rifle and put it up to my shoulder to realize I did not like the way the stock felt. It was a fat little bulbous thing. It has to be since all its other parts have to fit into that stock, but it just wasn't what I wanted at the time.

I really wanted to like it, but I'd probably just get a Marlin Papoose if I wanted an affordable take down .22LR rifle. Or maybe a long barrel handgun instead. Collector's Firearms

Although, I did notice the Henry Survival Rifle has been restyled and has storage for three total magazines instead of two like the old models. (Even though it only comes with two mags.) At $233 around here by me, it might be worth another look. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had one for several years and like it very much. The trigger is heavy, but it is more accurate than "broad-side-of-barn" -- I've managed .75" groups at 25 yards with it. It is particular about magazines -- very reliable with Henry factory mags, not reliable at all with older Charter Arms AR7 mags.

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
Most of these novice "gun reviewers" would best serve mankind by volunteering to test parachutes.

Why?

They know "just enough" about guns (load, pull trigger) to be dangerous to everyone around them, and do a disservice to potential buyers and the gun companies.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I had the old Charter Arms AR-7, it was reliable and accurate out to 25 yds or so. It is a good concept, a light weight rifle, small cartridge, put it and a brick of ammo, a few extra mags in your truck.

I traded it for something years ago. I may consider the Henry.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If you are looking for a survival rifle, perhaps something chambered in 223/556 is more appropriate. I own a Kel-Tec SU-16C which will easily fold up (you can shoot the C model folded like a pistol) and it stores in a pack.

Here is an article on an A and B model of this weapon platform:

Kel-Tec SU-16 Review - EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm)

These rifles are still a bit hard to find as they are selling as fast as produced and you can find one in the $500 range; less than a typical AR platform. They use ANY standard AR magazine and shoot both .223 Remington or 5.56 NATO rounds. They don't like steel cased Ruskie stuff.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I always wanted one, but never got around to buying one. And with 2 .22 rifles in the safe, it's hard to justify it when I could spend the money on another Taurus revolver!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts