Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Me likey! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Sweet! I looked really hard at a Henry lever action in 410 last weekend at the gun show. Had the rifle sights and tubes. I think I derrulled some lol but the $ 900.00 price tag dried that up in a hurry

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
Pricey or not, I'm afraid I will have one at some point. I almost tipped for the lever actor 410 shotgun. This ices it.

Reactions: shaner

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
They are calling it the Axe. I think it is their answer to the Mossberg Shockwave.

Don

Reactions: shaner

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
I thought I put the shotpistol solution to bed when I bought my S&W Governor. And I already have my backup Shockwave in 12G. Well, one backs up the other. I'm a Henry fan but only their full lever pistol caliber carbines.

Reactions: Tuco_Ramírez

·
Registered
18,796 Posts
I'm not really up on the Henrys but rumor has it that they make three quality grades...gold, silver and black with the golds being the highest. I've only ever shot one, a gold .22 but I was super impressed. In my hands, it felt more like a surgical implement than a rifle. The thing was just drippin' with precision, the action felt like it was run by hydraulics and your hand was just along for the ride. :smile:...beautiful piece of machinery. They are pricey but prob'ly one of the few or only firearms that's actually worth what they cost.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
It's a really cool-looking firearm, but much like daytonaredeye I already have this covered with the Taurus Judge Magnum and Mossberg 590 Shockwave 12 Gauge.

That being said, if they make a full-size Lever Action which can shoot both .45LC and .410 with a side loading gate, then that's something that I would be very interested in.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I love my 44 Henry, great rifle and their customer service is the best.

I have never warmed up to the .410. I had friends with them but when I needed a shotgun, I had a 12ga., rabbit and squirrel hunting I used a .22, home defense was taken care of with a .38 or 9mm. Just never found a need for a .410. And a box of .410 shells are downright pricy and reloading them would be a pain in the neck if it was even possible. Granted the recoil is low, but so are my reduced loads of 12ga.

Call me a Grinch, but I can never see myself spending money to put a .410 in my gun rack.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Don't see the utility in it. Sorry. Whatever it might do, a good pump gun can do better....one in 12 or 20 gauge. Go big or go home. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Another problem for me, I've never been a lever guy. I've hunted with pumps most of my life from junior high to present. Pumping a shotgun is a natural movement for me. A good pump will be smooth enough to almost pump itself. One of my faves was my Uncle's Ithaca M37, awesome smooth. Lever guns just aren't that natural to me. I have a Rossi 92 and I can work it okay, but it rests on my shoulder which helps a lot. I don't have any sawed off repeaters and have little reason to get one, but I'd want a pump if I did have one.....or better yet, a semi auto.

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
I'm not really up on the Henrys but rumor has it that they make three quality grades...gold, silver and black with the golds being the highest. I've only ever shot one, a gold .22 but I was super impressed. In my hands, it felt more like a surgical implement than a rifle. The thing was just drippin' with precision, the action felt like it was run by hydraulics and your hand was just along for the ride. :smile:...beautiful piece of machinery. They are pricey but prob'ly one of the few or only firearms that's actually worth what they cost.
Are you referencing the receiver colors? Brass = Golden Boy, Silver = Silver Boy and Black = Big Boy steel? I bought a Big Boy steel in 357/38 last year and, yep, it does seem to have a smoother action than my Marlin 44 ever did. I've been looking for a Big Boy Henry in 45 Colt but all I've run across have been the brass and silver receivers.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Bruntson wrote,
And a box of .410 shells are downright pricy and reloading them would be a pain in the neck if it was even possible.

Reloading them is easy. I have an old (40 or more years ancient, it's not a press so it is slow) LEE hand loader set that I use when I have a 410 shotgun and need ammo for it.

·
Registered
18,796 Posts
Are you referencing the receiver colors? Brass = Golden Boy, Silver = Silver Boy and Black = Big Boy steel? I bought a Big Boy steel in 357/38 last year and, yep, it does seem to have a smoother action than my Marlin 44 ever did. I've been looking for a Big Boy Henry in 45 Colt but all I've run across have been the brass and silver receivers.
Yes, the receiver colors. I've never tried the silver or black but the gold, the best way I can describe the action is buttery. I always thought the action on my 900 Savage was smooth but the Henry blows it away.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
@NativeTexan
Sadly, most attempts at producing Pump Action rifles/carbines were failures. For whatever reason, they just can't get them to work reliably like a Shotgun, or at least not at anywhere near the same price point. Heck, even the high dollar clone of the old Colt Lightning that Pendersoli is currently offering for 2 grand seems to be 100% reliable based on Hickok45's video on it.
As for having a valid reason to own a non-NFA "totally-not-a-SBR/SBS" PGO Firearm, I've got the only reason any free man needs; because they're cool. Honestly, don't tell me that every last firearm you own was selected based purely based upon utility or practical application. And if so, then when exactly do you intend to start living your life?

I mean, really... I have practical applications for the Judge and the Shocking, but I'd be lying through my teeth if I claimed that my appreciation for them is purely based upon utility and had nothing at all to do with the fact that they look cool.

By all accounts, Hi-Points are extremely reliable in spite of being dirt cheap, but I'm going to be bold here and presume that you don't carry one. Am I right?

You can't spell futility without utility. Translation: we don't live in a perfect world and a life spent being overly concerned with practicality in every last facet of existence including your recreational activities is nonsensical. I've seen you toying with the idea of getting a Shockwave before in at least a thread or two, in spite of your repeated sentiments that you cannot find a proper practical niche for one, so clearly you have at least some interest in owning one, otherwise you wouldn't continue seeking a reason to do so. If it will bring you happiness to own one, that that is the ultimate in tangible reasons to do so.

Apologies if I've misread you. Just trying to be of help. Merry Christmas.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
@NativeTexan
Sadly, most attempts at producing Pump Action rifles/carbines were failures. For whatever reason, they just can't get them to work reliably like a Shotgun, or at least not at anywhere near the same price point. Heck, even the high dollar clone of the old Colt Lightning that Pendersoli is currently offering for 2 grand seems to be 100% reliable based on Hickok45's video on it.
As for having a valid reason to own a non-NFA "totally-not-a-SBR/SBS" PGO Firearm, I've got the only reason any free man needs; because they're cool. Honestly, don't tell me that every last firearm you own was selected based purely based upon utility or practical application. And if so, then when exactly do you intend to start living your life?

I mean, really... I have practical applications for the Judge and the Shocking, but I'd be lying through my teeth if I claimed that my appreciation for them is purely based upon utility and had nothing at all to do with the fact that they look cool.

By all accounts, Hi-Points are extremely reliable in spite of being dirt cheap, but I'm going to be bold here and presume that you don't carry one. Am I right?

You can't spell futility without utility. Translation: we don't live in a perfect world and a life spent being overly concerned with practicality in every last facet of existence including your recreational activities is nonsensical. I've seen you toying with the idea of getting a Shockwave before in at least a thread or two, in spite of your repeated sentiments that you cannot find a proper practical niche for one, so clearly you have at least some interest in owning one, otherwise you wouldn't continue seeking a reason to do so. If it will bring you happiness to own one, that that is the ultimate in tangible reasons to do so.

Apologies if I've misread you. Just trying to be of help. Merry Christmas.

So many guns, so little money. Guns that don't really fit a need don't interest me. I'm a utilitarian kinda guy.

Hi Point???? :rofl: Ugly and weight is a bit much, doncha think? At the moment I have MORE than enough carries. I've been toting my Kel Tec P11 lately. THAT is an awesome carry gun. But, I toted my TH9c tonight to our Christmas eve service.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Oh, yeah, I do have this penchant for shooting cap and ball. THAT is not utilitarian. The number of .22 caliber handguns I have isn't logical, either, but none of 'em are for sale. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts