Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any input (preferably any owners) on the Henry Classic Lever Action H001 .22LR? I am >thisclose< to buying one just because I think it would be a nice companion to my Heritage .22. Whittaker Guns has them on sale for $289.99 less another 10% through the end of May. Brings the total OTD to $260.99 with free shipping. My FFL only charges $10 for Tx LTC's so all told right around $270 and she's mine. I just have so much fun with the Heritage that I thought the lever gun would also be fun. When I was younger my dad had a Win 94 30-30 (not an original) that my brother snagged and I've always wanted a lever action plinker since. I handled one at the NRA show here a few weeks ago and have been jonesing for one since.

Anyway... if anyone has any comments on the H001 I would be most appreciative!

Attachments

·
32,941 Posts
I don't have a Henry, but I did find this. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...php?t=531281&usg=AOvVaw0G7F9J0a7X2IdK9LiqM83j

However Henry does make a great rifle regardless of the caliber and the Zamak 5 thing is not a deal breaker. I've got GSG 522 made of similar stuff and it is a great semi-auto rifle. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...-gsg-522-sd/&usg=AOvVaw2NvQfUwIGFlJYVLbdMANeV

Obviously the Henry rifles are not all Zamak5 and are smooth operating and accurate pieces. I'm thinking about getting one at the LGS near here.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
16,045 Posts
We have one and like it. I say "we", I bought it and the wife laid claim to it. Accurate and eats everything.

Do it! Everyone needs a cowboy rig. :D

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
I sold my Taurus 738 to fund the purchase of an H001. I miss the Taurus, but I would never sell the Henry! Slap on a mediocre scope and start driving them tacks...

·
23,833 Posts
My wife recently bought a Golden Boy. She's nuts about it! Accurate, smooth function, and so much fun! Get it; you'll love it!

In fact, I was recently thinking that a Heritage would go well with her Golden Boy, so there must be something to the idea of that combination.

·
32,941 Posts
My wife recently bought a Golden Boy. She's nuts about it! Accurate, smooth function, and so much fun! Get it; you'll love it!

In fact, I was recently thinking that a Heritage would go well with her Golden Boy, so there must be something to the idea of that combination.
Wellllll,Pilgrim. Get out there and get one. :)

·
Super Moderator
40,741 Posts
I have shot 2 different H001s. The first one is owned by the Gun Club and used for the kids day at the range every month. Who knows how many thousands of rounds fired over the years and still flawless today.

I also own one. Have had it for about 5 years or so now. My kids bought it for me (meaning them) for Fathers Day one year. Smooth and slick right out of the box, never a problem with it. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking at getting one. I also have a Henry in .327 Fed Mag and it is also an outstanding lever gun. To me Henry takes pride in their work and produces quality guns.

By the way, I was in Walmart last night and they had the H001 on sale. Don't remember the price but it struck me as a good deal.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I have a H001T, which is the one with the octagon barrel. There isn't much more I can say except that you won't be disappointed, as long as you don't expect a gun with a blued steel receiver. It's likely the gun I own that I shoot the most. It'll shoot everything, but is most accurate with consistent quality ammo. Then it's about 1 MOA accurate. I burn through a lot of cheap bulk ammo harassing the squirrels that drive my beagle crazy. It has had cycling jambs with slow lever strokes. Don't do that.

Cleaning is simple, but involves pulling 5 screws and the hammer spur extension, if you have one on it. Make sure your screwdriver fits well to avoid slipping and messing up the powder coat.

Reactions: chefduane

·
Super Moderator
35,997 Posts
Don't need one, myself, and have little desire. I have my Rossi 92 in .357 and a very light .38 load I load in it for less than a round of average .22LR. I cast the 105 grain bullet, push it at 900 fps. It shoots 1.5" groups at 50 yards, plenty good. Now that my cataracts are fixed, I can use it again. I did fit a ghost ring aperture I got off an old .22 single shot to it. It's a good gun, just not that enamored with lever guns. I kinda prefer semi autos or bolt guns to levers, anyway, and I refuse to pay that much for Zamak. My 10/22 has taken over from my old Remington 512X as my go to. The Remington is less ammo picky, shoots everything pretty well and most DANGED well, but it's old and has a problem with the interrupter in the magazine that a good gunsmith couldn't fix, no parts for a 60 year old Remington. I still plink with it occasionally, though.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Lever action .22's provide the most bang for buck when it comes to plinking enjoyment. I've been around these Henry rifles and have to admit their lever gun choices are very attractive and value oriented. A friend brought a dirty H100 to clean one time. I didn't care for the task. Maybe it's that I cringe at firearms not made of forged steel.

My preferences in rimfire lever guns lean towards Marlins, Winchesters and Browning and Ruger. Each are collectibles that will last a lifetime. An Injection molded receiver with screw on side plates, not so much.

If I wanted an excellent deal on a .22 lever gun, a Browning BL-22 is what I'd save me pennies up for.

·
Super Moderator
35,997 Posts
I always wanted a little Browning .22 auto, ejects out the bottom, tube mag in the stock. My uncle had one and it was beautiful. However, they don't give 'em away. Last time I checked, the field grade (bottom grade) was just south of $600, so I never got one. They're handy little things, too. :D

·
Premium Member
11,497 Posts
I've got a Golden Boy. The action is smooth as glass with a good trigger and fairly good accuracy with open sights. From what I've read, the same applies to just about all Henry lever actions.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I own a Golden Boy. It shoots great, usually feeds well unless the .22s are flatnosed, and is a natural pointing rifle. It feels like the deluxe .22 version of a Daisy Red Ryder.

I am planning on purchasing a Skinner peep sight for mine.

You really can?t go wrong with a Henry. The fit and finish is superb and the company is wonderful.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
(Don't ask me why, 'cause I don't know, but...) I really want a Henry Lever Action .410 ! What a cool deal !

·
Super Moderator
35,997 Posts
Always wanted a Golden Boy in 45acp. but cost is an issue especially on a range fun gun.
This is why I reload, one reason, anyway. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.