Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend wanted to meet me for coffee. He's a young guy, and he was upset. He's been married about 2 years. He bought a Beretta M9A3 in Desert Sand, took it home and put it in the closet. His wife found it and had a hissy-fit. He spent the night in his car. Apparently she is opposed to guns. He'd gone to the dealer to return it, no luck (they offered him half retain.) The pawn shop offered him 400 bucks. I gave him 700. It's new, unfired, never been loaded, with all the goodies including the original receipt. I kinda feel like a jerk-but kinda not, too.

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Good for you for helping him out with a decent buy-back price. As far as his reaction to his wife's hissy-fit, all I'm gonna say is "Happy wife, happy life" and leave it at that. I'm thinking a lot more than I'm saying, but it's his life.

I'll go sit down with a cuppa coffee and be quiet now.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
When we married, my wife was 46 and had never fired a gun.
Now she's the one always wanting to go to the range.
And she's scary good.

Good on you for helping out. I'd have encouraged him to keep the pistol and offered him a room in the basement and a referral to a good attorney, though.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Fredward, I'd say you are "kinda not".

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Sounds like he screwed hisself.

You helped a brother out.

Reactions: bubblehead

·
8,902 Posts
Those M9A3's are expensive. I think the gun store should be talked to. $400 for an unfired M9A3 is an insult. Good on you to help him out.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ain't got a basement. Even when I did, I ain't got friends good enough to stay in my house.That ship sailed about 1981, with my first wife and best ex-friend.

·
Super Moderator
37,265 Posts
Well, you bailed him out for now and he didn't have to pay an FFL or shipping or GunBroker Fee. I suspect that he has more troubles than bringing a pistol into the house, and that he may get to buy another at some point in the future.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
My wife had never shot a gun until we started dating. She has now owned 4. Still owns 2. She didn’t care for the youth .243 or the 20 ga, but she likes her 22 rifle and absolutely loves her Glock 42. Mother in law still not a fan, but I think she does take faith that I will defend her daughter and her grandkids using the best tools available for the task should it ever come to that.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Well, my wife and I had the gun discussion before we were married. She didn't like guns-then we had a problem. We armed up and stayed that way. I would not have married an anti-gun woman.
^^^^ This.

Isn't the gun thing, the kid thing, the money thing, the in-law thing, the religion thing, the politics thing, and all those other things the things that you should talk about BEFORE a couple gets married? I mean, what else about this girl does this (now married) guy not know about her? That aside, yeah, probably best to take the gun off his hands and let him and da' missus work it out sans firearm.

·
Super Moderator
37,265 Posts
Reflecting more on this thread, although I grew up around firearms and loved to shoot as a kid and had plenty of interesting things to shoot in the military I had totally gotten away from the shooting sports until my wife, sister and cousin decided to take a handgun familiarization class and I tagged along. I don't get my wife out to shoot as often as I would like, but she loves "her" Dan Wesson Model 15!

Reactions: rollin thunder

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
You did good to relieve his stress over it. You should tell him that later if things get better (she starts to relax) and he wants it back to let ya know? I can relate to wife and hissy fit! I dealt with that but now she understands there is evil out there and you need to protect yourself (too long of a story, nothing bad just fear of firearms). She still won't shoot but I'm still working on it. She feels better with me carrying now though.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My ex. was/is a screaming libatard, so I understand.
With that being said, knowing what I know now, she should have spent the night in the car, but before doing so, she needed to make him a sammich. :eek:
I've been married forty-plus years (I would say exactly but math is hard lol) to the same woman. I have no doubt I'm a pain in the butt to live with, God bless her hide, but the first time we got in a tiff (and I couldn't tell ya what over) she said, "You're sleeping on the couch tonight!" I turned to her and said, "I paid for that bed and I'm sleeping in it. You can sleep wherever you want." We both slept in that bed just fine.

On the other hand, I would never introduce something like firearms into my household without consulting my wife. I shot very little as a kid, just .22 rifles, but I loved it. I never really thought about it for years and years. We didn't have firearms in the house as I was growing up. I was introduced to shooting at church summer camp of all places. My wife's father and brothers went hunting and had shotguns and rifles in the house so she was familiar although I don't believe she had ever shot any of them. Ten or twelve years ago my son got into shooting and so did I. I own several pistols, rifles and a shotgun. My wife and I both have our concealed handgun licenses although she really doesn't shoot and she doesn't carry. I was a little hesitant about bringing that first firearm into the house. Even though I knew she knew I was getting one I hadn't exactly asked for permission or anything. But even after being married for twenty-five or thirty years there still can be things you just don't know about the other.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts