Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I think you had the guide rod and spring improperly install when you tried to put it back together. I've never had that happen. Will the guide rod slide the rest of the way out? It looks like you may have pressure on the guide rod preventing the barrel to move.
I don't know what to tell you. The barrel is pretty much free floating without the guide rod and spring to hold it in place. You've jammed it up. Pull the trigger to see if that will let the slide move forward. Pull the slide back to see if that will relieve some pressure on the barrel.

If all else fails.... get a bigger hammer

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I don't know the G2 but I'm fairly certain he has the guide rod assembly installed backwards. Unfortunately I don't have a answer on how to get things apart again.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Try to go through the slide removal sequence again, pull both latches down, slight pressure back on slide and then pull trigger to release the slide....you might need a second set of hands. If you can get the trigger pulled, your slide should be "free" but might need a bit of coaxing on the back. I don't think the rod is backwards, that looks like the button on the end. I have done the same thing when the rod slipped off the catch inside - my fault for not getting it lined up. I have learned to take my time. good luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
The rear nub on the guide is smaller diameter than the front one, that is in backwards. I would try tapping on the barrel and see if it will pop back in.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Wow that's a doozy. May have to put the old rubber mallet to work. Try pushing both takedown latches down and giving the rear of the slide a whack or 2.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
There should be spring showing on that end of the recoil assembly. Looks like the spring is stuck inside the slide. I would pull the bit that is sticking out, away from the barrel and try to get that spring to show itself. If that doesn't work maybe a pick can be used to free the spring. I think once you free that spring the slide will come off fairly easily. At this point, you may have to be a bit rough with it to get it right.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I had something similar happen with one of my 24x7's (not in backward but it slipped off the lug on the barrel and bound up somehow). I didn't think that the rear end of the guide rod will pass through the seat at the front of the slide. This looks like what I had - does not appear to be backward, exactly.... but is a little confusing the guide rod slides through a cam and the dual captured spring assembly. the front of the Guide rod pokes out of the slide just like the OP's pic and the spring is retained by the seat at the front of the slide. If the guide rod were in backward, it seems to me that the smaller spring would be seen since there wouldn't be anything to stop it from following the guide rod out.

Like a couple of others have said, pull the takedown tabs down, pull the trigger and if it doesn't move, try to pull on the guide rod. If that fails, a rubber mallet may be a good option (I honestly just rattled mine around and racked on the slide until is more or less reseated itself, then took it apart again.

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Doesn't appear to be in backwards as back end flat will not pass thru muzzle hole as button end does. I expect it was re-assembled on wrong barrel notch as some springs fit tight, some don't, and it depends on what plane the slide is on when pushing on and can get out of place. Rubber hammer and finagling around should do the trick.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Stand by my post #11. Have (3) PT140G2 springs. The flat end that sits on barrel relief has a center "dimple" for staking shaft; this end will not pass thru muzzle recess/hole; in following picture you can see OP's and my normal locked back slide, the rod is the same. If in backwards you would see the small spring in OP's pic as there is nothing to push small spring back plus there is no stake 'dimple'. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Stand by my post #11. Have (3) PT140G2 springs. The flat end that sits on barrel relief has a center "dimple" for staking shaft; this end will not pass thru muzzle recess/hole; in following picture you can see OP's and my normal locked back slide, the rod is the same. If in backwards you would see the small spring in OP's pic as there is nothing to push small spring back plus there is no stake 'dimple'. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. LOL
Man you have to clean that guide rod.;D Is guide rod different from 9mm?

·
Vendor
867 Posts
Man you have to clean that guide rod.;D Is guide rod different from 9mm?
Yes, it is different. It is metal, a different size, uses different springs and he is right. It isn't in backwards. If it was, the smaller diameter spring would be protruding through the hole. The wrong end doesn't fit through the hole in the slide as well.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Thank you! I only have my 24/7G2 to go by but the concept/construction is pretty much the same.

[EDIT] which then seem to confirm the theory that the other end of the guide rod is on the "second" stage of the lug on the barrel and is simply hung. Messing around with it is the way to correct the issue.

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Thanks for that Wino, I'll retract my comment now.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Wino: "Doesn't appear to be in backwards as back end flat will not pass thru muzzle hole as button end does. I expect it was re-assembled on wrong barrel notch as some springs fit tight, some don't, and it depends on what plane the slide is on when pushing on and can get out of place. Rubber hammer and finagling around should do the trick. "

You got it right Wino. I took a look at my 709, which has the same basic recoil spring setup, and it looks the same with the slide back. I hope your idea of a fix works. I'm not sure what else would! Although it may be moot, it looks like the OP hasn't been back since his post.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts