Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PT1911 has developed a problem; it will fire the first round and cycle the slide and eject, then when I pull the trigger the hammer refuses to drop. It seems to have advanced slightly (although not to half cock) or not returned all the way, I then have to fully cock the hammer and cycle the safety on and then off for it to fire, it MAY fire a few rounds and then the problem will occur again. I have checked the stupid locking mech. on the hammer many times, it is fully unlocked.

Any ideas? I really don't want to have to send it back to Taurus, it appears to be a long wait and why should I pay to ship it on a relatively new gun?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
You probably have already done this but have you tried a real attentive cleaning of the gun, especially the slide/rail and the recoil spring areas? Also, how well lubed is the gun?

Another thought is, is the gun totally stock or have you changed anything to it (new grips don't count)?

Steelheart

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bone stock. Gun is pretty darn clean, I clean after every range trip (except for this one, no time and only 10 rounds through it), gun is lubed all over with CLP and slide/frame contact areas are greased with Tetra Gun Grease.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Consider disassembling your gun to check for burrs or debris in the safety/hammer/sear assembly. One of the advantages of the 1911 design is that it can be stripped to the bare frame. Photo istructions can be obtained at http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm or http://www.freepatriot.com/removeseries80.php (Taurus uses the safer series 80 design which is generally harder to obtain a good trigger)

Also, since the 1911 is a standard design, several fellow shooters in your circle should be familiar with this operation... or any good gunsmith should be able to take care of this VERY cheap since there are no parts that need to be replaced or tweaked... only checked.

Try this before you send the gun back to Taurus!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts