Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have one 709 that I have had a couple of years. It has been a great shooting gun and I have honestly put over 1000 rounds throgh it. My only cpmplaint has been a sighting issue.

I know there was a problem with a lot of these guns shooting low and left , like mine was in the beginning , I think it was do to the front sightihg post either being to big or off center or something like that , Taurus was willing to fix mine but said it could take up to three weeks or longer.

I did not want to go that long without my gun as I use it as my EDC. I compensated with Kentucky windage until I decided to but a CT Laser which , works like a charm , all I had to do was get a new holster to fit it.

I am ready to buy another 709 I like it that well , but my question is , has the problem with sighting been corrected , at first I had a lot of people tell me it was just me shooting a small gun , but I have shot it so many times , I know how to aim it correctly , even now if I use the iron sights it will be off whereas if I use the laser it will hit right on.

My gun was one of the first ones , are they better now , was the problem fixed ? I will still order another one but I hate to but another laser.

·
Banned
73 Posts
FYI, Last year I sent my 2010 model back for low/left. They replaced the front sight; the new sight stands 0.15 inches above the slide. The original front sight was taller but I don't know the exact size. They also replaced the barrel at that time; the only way I know is the original barrel had the s/n on it and the new has no s/n. I can't tell is they did anything else, the repair ticket simply said "replaced". I did encounter occasional failure to extract with the returned gun but I'm 90% sure that was cured when I replaced the extractor (DIY with new extractor from Taurus). My only remaining concern is an unpredictable SA trigger (sometimes light and sometimes quite heavy).

I'm not sure what you'll get with a "new" 709. There seems to be a G2 version out (or in the works) and some rumors say the magazines aren't interoperable with the original. I haven't found a clear description of other differences between G2 and original. Other than the shorter front sight, I feel the far-aft trigger is a big factor in many of the low/left complaints. If you read the many posts on this site, some folks claim the gun shoots where the (adjusted) sights aim and others still complain about low/left. At close range, it may not matter that much.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I agree with Scott; My 2010 709 Shot 12 inches low and left out of the box at 7 yrds. I sent it back to Taurus.
They replaced the front sight and sent it back, said it was fixed. It still shoots 6 inches low and left at 7 yrds.
But it could be me. I haven't gotten anyone else to shoot it yet;

·
Banned
80 Posts
My gun was one of the first ones , are they better now , was the problem fixed ? I will still order another one but I hate to but another laser.
My 709 was made 2011. I've had the extractor replaced for FTE problem. It's back in Miami waiting for a new barrel and slide. Mine shoots low too. I havn't asked Taurus to address the low issue I just aim high.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I took a flat file to my front sight and trimmed it. Did this at the range. I took a jewelers file and opened up the hole for the rear sight base to move and adjusted to the right used some locktite made for small screws. I was absolutely not going to send a gun back to have parts changed for the sole reason that the gun runs flawlessly. After a little work the rear sight is adjusted to mid settings.

·
Registered
36,332 Posts
Taurus makes (or did make) three different height front sights fro the 709/740.
the standard height that comes on the weapons, a short and a shorter height sight.
I did know the heights but have long ago forgotten that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts