Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I finally picked up my 38 super 1911 and took it to the range but when I loaded the mag and went to shoot...nothing happened, ejected it and tried firing one bullet at a time and it worked, loaded the mag again and nothing once again plus the slide was stuck with a live round, I had to tap it against the table to release and eject the round, the guys there looked at it and said they've never seen anything like it...any ideas what the problem is? I didn't get a chance to break it down and clean it good like I normally do with new guns before testing to make sure it worked, but I wouldn't think that would be the reason why..

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
You have to clean it. That new Taurus is packed full of shipping grease not oil....

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
For now, and especially for the initial "get the gun goop out" cleaning, that would be fine. If you have any brake cleaner, you can
use that to help get out any packing grease that the solvent might not have gotten (just be sure to remove your grips first!).

·
Registered
634 Posts
The best way I know of cleaning out the packing grease out of all the nooks and crannies is to field strip the pistol and boil it in water treated with de-greaser for about 10 minute, let the parts dry off and lightly lube it with your favorit lube, I personally use Mobil 1 as a lube.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

P.S Water only boils at 212 degree so it won't hurt anything

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
ahhh, I 'll just ride this out cause I have no idea of what you did?

loaded mag and went to shoot nothing happened??
so the hammer didn't drop?
the round didn't fire?
was there a round in the chamber?
was the grip safety depressed?
slide was stuck on loaded round? stuck open or closed?--closed i assume as you had to forcibally open it?
have you done any safety checks on the wepaon to make sure they were operating correctly?
I can't seem to think of a reason that it would fire without a magazine but wouldn't with a magazine in place?
of course if the trigger didn't pull and the hammer didn't fall the magazine could be interferring with the triggers operation?
depends again on wouldn't fire and what that means.

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
Yesterday I finally picked up my 38 super 1911 and took it to the range but when I loaded the mag and went to shoot...nothing happened, ejected it and tried firing one bullet at a time and it worked, loaded the mag again and nothing once again plus the slide was stuck with a live round, I had to tap it against the table to release and eject the round, the guys there looked at it and said they've never seen anything like it...any ideas what the problem is? I didn't get a chance to break it down and clean it good like I normally do with new guns before testing to make sure it worked, but I wouldn't think that would be the reason why..
I mean no offense, but you seem like the greenest of green new firearm owner I've seen in a long time. You tell us you work as an armed security guard. You must have a firearms trainer, and maybe an armorer with the company you work for. I'd take your new Taurus to them and ask if they can teach you how to use it. You seem to be getting in way over your head.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
the hammer wouldn't drop and yeah stuck forward closed, it fired one round at a time with the mag
OK, now we are not trying to beat up on you or make you mad so!!
the 1911 has several safety features both manual operated and automatically operated.
the fire without a mag and not fire with a mag I can't really figure out, if i had the weapon in hand i could posisbly figure it out.
all that being said a few things that come to mind that would prevent the hammer from faling when the trigger was pulled.
1) grip safety not disengaged.
2) thumb safety not fully disengaged.
3) trigger out of adjustment and not tripping the hammer.
4)series 80 safety locked up and not allowing the firing pin to move fully forward.
5) sear engagement out of whack.
6) and I guess it could need a very through cleaning as indicated by others.
7) I am sure I missed something else!-
we are different people but if it was mine the first thing i would do is totally disassemble the weapon . clean it, inspect it, lube it , reasemble it and off to the range.
I know how to do this so it may be different with you.
i will say that its unusual for such things to happen with any 1911 thats not operator error.
operator error could be moving the thumb safety up as you are firing from the recoil, or not fully depressing the grip safety after the first shot?
IT would be wise if you haevn't already to have someone else fire the weapon and see how it functions in their hands.
certainly you know someone that is familiar with the 1911 platform that can take a look at it for you.??

·
Registered
16,319 Posts
Based on what I've read it almost sounds like with the mag inserted the rounds would not got fully into battery. Even the slightest gap of the slide will cause issues you described. This could be caused by excessive grease binding up on the sides of the slide at the point they pass the mag. Always start with a fully cleaning of any firearm. This not only removes the lubricant/protectant/nuclear adhesive that makes cosmoline look like butter; But also allows you to inspect the parts for any mis-machining or damages.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.