Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello group okay so I have a Taurus 605 357 revolver, I took the cylinder and crane off to clean this black oily Gunk that was on the extractor rod every time i popped the spent cases out, well I had the crane and cylinder off I noticed a small spring fall from the gun, it seems to be tapered down on each side and once that spring came out the cylinder wouldn't lock shut and it seems that the thumb cylinder release on the side is stuck in the forward position (unlocked cylinder) so I'm thinking it has to do with that that's the first spring,,,, a few days after that I was looking at the gun to try to figure everything out and I noticed another spring on my table now I'm not sure if this is from the revolver or not we'll call that spring number too it's longer but skinnier,,, I will supply pics thank you,, and please save the sarcastic comments I'm going to eventually have to get to know my revolver so this was bound to happen sooner or later I have plenty of experience with firearms but I'm kind of new to revolver disassembly, and the exploded parts diagram on Taurus's website and in the book that came with the gun isn't detailed enough for me to figure it out thank you... D
The first spring that came out the original number one is on top the one that came out a few days later maybe it might not even be to the revolver is on the bottom
Ruler Office ruler Rectangle Font Measuring instrument

Attachments

·
23,585 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Most of us have been there and survived. You'll get this figured out. See if this reference helps: Numrich

The longer one might be the cylinder stop plunger spring. Not sure about the smaller one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You will also get a lot of information from this great post:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Generally speaking, I take a filthy revolver, hang it on a string over a piece of cardboard, all outdoors, and spray it down with one of those highly toxic brake cleaner style sprays. It cleans very thoroughly, and I avoid disassembly issues.

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
I've had pretty good results with the foaming cleaners. The foam will go in everywhere and dissolve the grime - then blow it out with compressed air (y)

·
9,362 Posts
Welcome aboard. Hmmm.. Did you take the revolver side plate off? The skinnier spring may be the cylinder latch button (called thumb piece by Taurus) spring, but that could only come out if the side plate was removed, unless you removed the cylinder latch button and monkeyed the spring out.somehow. But that spring not being in place would cause the symptom you described. I haven't taken a Taurus cylinder off the crane arm for years, so not sure about the other spring. You got some good links above to look at.

Find Taurus 605 Parts | Numrich Gun Parts look at item 14 and the spring #15 in the drawing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts