Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, brand new to the forum and to Taurus. I'm so glad I've found a home for my Taurus questions, likes/dislikes, etc...

I have searced the forums for information on my issue: Reassembly with the spring off-center of the barrel lug ending up in the fiasco linked below:

www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5079.0

However, I cannot get the slide off with brute force or continual racking as some of you mentioned in the previous thread. Also, not sure if I'm comfortable taking apart the firing-pin assembly.

I have take apart many different guns(long and handguns) with many differnt quirks, but this one is new to me. Any further or more detailed advice from those of you who where able to get the slide off without major dissembly would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Administrator
17,927 Posts
Don't feel bad. Disassembly/Reassembly quirks can get you with 24/7's as their design differs significantly from other guns and the manual isn't the greatest read.

Assuming you've removed the Takedown Pin, release the slide till it stops and THEN pull the trigger, gently pushing the slide off of the frame. DO NOT force the slide off of the frame, or you WILL break something.

If you are still having trouble, CALL Taurus Customer service and they will talk you thru disassembly/reassembly.

Once you learn how, you'll understand the design better. I have all sorts of nice handguns and the 24/7 design was a new one on me too! I really like my 9mm 24/7 Pro and plan to add a Longslide in .45 ACP, soon!

Best of Luck to you!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
jwc007 said:
Assuming you've removed the Takedown Pin, release the slide till it stops and THEN pull the trigger, gently pushing the slide off of the frame. DO NOT force the slide off of the frame, or you WILL break something.
That is exactly what you need to do. Oh and MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have had a similar problem, not with the spring being offcenter, but with it being too low (or high, depending on how you look at it...too far away from the barrel). Try slamming the gun upside down against the palm of your hand to knock the spring closer to the barrel. That fixed it for me.

Maybe someone can tell me if that might have also been risking breaking something else in the gun :-[ but seeing as how it was only against my hand, I think it's safe to do.

And yup, I'm a Newbie!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:

Thanks for the reponses and I did get the slide off once my idot-savant borther-in-law got his hands on it. It took some careful manuvering with the slide moving back and forth and the trigger....at least I am still a better big game hunter than he is!

he smokes me like a cigar when it comes to wing shooting....damn it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know if this will show up anywhere, nearly 4 years after the post, but... I recently acquired a PT 24/7 Pro DS in .45 (as in yesterday). Shot it in the cold today, and after confirming its very satisfactory function, good accuracy for a short barrel, and ability to feed all kinds of ammo, I took it down for a thorough cleaning. It would not go back together, slide jam problem. I discovered that the culprit was the end of the larger recoil spring. The last coil protudes the tiniest bit and if that tiny amount of protusion is on the 3 or 9 0'clock side of the slide assembly, it jammed up well short of full back. Rotate the spring assembly so the end faces you as you work, and the slide slips in very neatly. I hope this helps the next person. Vieillard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts