Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have searched the site and cant seem to find info on rear sight removal on a model 96. The pin through the side is very small. I tried
drifting a little but did not seem to help and stopped before i started to disform. Is this a press fit? Any input/info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
They aren't ussualy that hard to remove. Are you sure your punch is small enough? Not sure about that model in particular but some S&W pins were actually too small for a 1/16 inch punch. I used to use a short piece of stiff .050 spring wire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That did the trick! Went back and forth and eventually moved. Seems like, looking at it from the rear it wanted to drift out left to right. I think I was just being to easy the first time. Dealing with a major rust problem so wasnt sure what exacly the problem was up front. You were also right about the pin size. Was able to start with tiny punch then used a piece of tie wire and lots of PB Blaster to finally get all the way out. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt trying to punch out something that wasnt made to be. Just hope after complete bare bones tear down I can remember how get back together.Thanks for info all.

·
Registered
160 Posts
:yeahbaby01:
That did the trick! Went back and forth and eventually moved. Seems like, looking at it from the rear it wanted to drift out left to right. I think I was just being to easy the first time. Dealing with a major rust problem so wasnt sure what exacly the problem was up front. You were also right about the pin size. Was able to start with tiny punch then used a piece of tie wire and lots of PB Blaster to finally get all the way out. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt trying to punch out something that wasnt made to be. Just hope after complete bare bones tear down I can remember how get back together.Thanks for info all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.