Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was trying to remove the set screw that holds the front sight in place on my PT 24/7 Pro and managed to strip the Alan head. I then tried to tap a SAE Alan wrench that was a little bigger than the 1.5mm opening in the head of the Alan screw and and ended up breaking it off inside. Any ideas how I can go about removing this set screw?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
I suppose I would try and drill it out, which you will need a drill press and clamp arrangement to hold it steady as you drill out the tool steel which is the broken allen wrench. Then, after you heat it up with a small torch to help break the Loctite you should use a small screw extractor to turn it out.

Considering all that, I would probably take it to a gun smith who should charge less than 20.00 to take it off and install the new sight.

Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the feed back.

If for some reason the gunsmith is unable to to extract the screw would I have to use a FFL to ship only the slide back to Taurus?

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
I suppose I would try and drill it out, which you will need a drill press and clamp arrangement to hold it steady as you drill out the tool steel which is the broken allen wrench. Then, after you heat it up with a small torch to help break the Loctite you should use a small screw extractor to turn it out.

Considering all that, I would probably take it to a gun smith who should charge less than 20.00 to take it off and install the new sight.

Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois.
+1, this is great advice.

Member since Oct 2010 and this is your first post??? I would say welcome but you have been here longer then me. Oh well, good luck and Welcome from the Florida Keys! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1, this is great advice.

Member since Oct 2010 and this is your first post??? I would say welcome but you have been here longer then me. Oh well, good luck and Welcome from the Florida Keys! :)
Yeah, I tend to just read the post and lurk around. :)

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
The slide, being just a gun part, can be shipped without any fuss or muss. I am pretty sure that you can ship a pistol that you already own sans FFL since nothing has changed. If Taurus replaces a firearm with a new one (different serial number) then you need an FFL to receive it on your end. Call Taurus on Monday and see what they say. If they want you to pay shipping then a local fix is probably cheaper, providing they can get the set screw out without destroying the sight. You didn't say whether you had a new sight to install or were just trying to adjust the OEM blade. If the sight will be destroyed removing it, then Taurus is probably cheaper as they may just absorb the price of the new part...maybe. Good luck, let us know how it works out...(before 2014! :D )

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I don't know if you would want to try this or not, but you could use a flat blade screwdriver and tap the front sight out of the dovetail groove, then just put on a new front sight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The slide, being just a gun part, can be shipped without any fuss or muss. I am pretty sure that you can ship a pistol that you already own sans FFL since nothing has changed. If Taurus replaces a firearm with a new one (different serial number) then you need an FFL to receive it on your end. Call Taurus on Monday and see what they say. If they want you to pay shipping then a local fix is probably cheaper, providing they can get the set screw out without destroying the sight. You didn't say whether you had a new sight to install or were just trying to adjust the OEM blade. If the sight will be destroyed removing it, then Taurus is probably cheaper as they may just absorb the price of the new part...maybe. Good luck, let us know how it works out...(before 2014! :D )
I have new sights that I want to install so I am not overly concerned if the OEM sight is ruined during the process. Do you know if the set screw is threaded into the slide for the front sight or is it like the rear and the set screw just sits into a recess?

I will call Taurus tomorrow and let you all know how I make out with the removal / replacment. I am also going to stop by the local Gunsmith on Tuesday. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if you would want to try this or not, but you could use a flat blade screwdriver and tap the front sight out of the dovetail groove, then just put on a new front sight.
Thanks for the input. I am a little worried if I try that I may damage the slide. I think I will hold off and see what Taurus and my local Gunsmith can do.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
It's a pressure fit. When I took my front sight off there is just a small mark where the setscrew contacted the slide.
Tightening the screw exerts upward pressure on the sight against the dovetail groove to hold it in place.
The worst you could get would be a scratch in the groove from the setscrew.

If you do decide to try it, put a couple drops of light oil on the sight first to help it move.
3-in-1 or something like that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Left-hand drill bits and EZ-Outs. Every handyman ought to have a good set of each. Often a left-hand bit will back out a damaged fastener if it can get a good bite. Ez-Outs work on the same principle, only better, but you need a proper sized hole to start them into first.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Good luck finding an EZ-Out that small. The setscrew is 2.75mm in diameter with a 1.5mm hex head socket.
Not to mention left hand drill bits that small.
I would just hammer it out.
Not going to hurt the steel slide that bad.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did ask the folks at Harbor Fright and Sears if they had an Ez-Out in a small enough diameter for this and both said they did not ( in the stores I stopped at anyways ). It would definitely be something to try if I could find the correct sized Ez-Out. I never thought about a Left-hand drill bit. If the Gunsmith can't help I will look into that before I resort to shipping it back to Taurus. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
If your not worried about the sight? How about a pair of diagonal cutters (wire cutters) and split the sight down the middle it could release the set screws pressue and you could push the sight out? If you have no plans for the sight. I have never done it but just looked at my PT145 and thought what would I loose...

·
Administrator
39,372 Posts
Left-hand drill bits and EZ-Outs. Every handyman ought to have a good set of each. Often a left-hand bit will back out a damaged fastener if it can get a good bite. Ez-Outs work on the same principle, only better, but you need a proper sized hole to start them into first.
I bought a left-hand drill bit to remove a damaged grip screw once. Heat up your hex screw with a hair dryer or something similar first. They work and do come in an assortment of sizes.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
If your not worried about the sight? How about a pair of diagonal cutters (wire cutters) and split the sight down the middle it could release the set screws pressue and you could push the sight out? If you have no plans for the sight. I have never done it but just looked at my PT145 and thought what would I loose...
Yep. Split that sight to release set screw pressure. In my case I'd use my Dremel and put a nice, clean, careful cut on the sight to make the set screw able to move away from the slide. Then just tap the slide sideways out of the dovetail. Tapping the sight out with the set screw tight against the slide will probably leave a nasty gouge.

Diagonal cutters ought to work if the sights are plastic, though. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Excellent suggestions. The front sight is steal so I am going to try a Dremel and put a cut into the sight and set screw. Hopefully this will remove the pressure from the set screw/slide and I will be able to tap it out as you have mentioned. I will give it a try when I get home from work tonight. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
Help me out folks who have changed front sights that are dovetailed. I seem to recall reading that they are tapered laterally which allows them to be removed to one side only? True/false and if so, which side?

·
Administrator
39,372 Posts
Traditionnaly, dovetailed sights are removed from left to right.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts