Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a PT-92 in stainless.

Though not necessary, I took off the grips in order to switch the magazine release (I was having a bit of difficulty is moving the mag release to the other side of the frame).

Under the left grip was some kind of wire spring, uncoiled, shaped like a V or whatever...

I am not sure of its purpose and how to orient it.

Could someone describe its purpose and how it should be oriented?

I fired the gun for the first time tonight without that spring.

Prior attempts with the spring positioned have resulted in difficulties such as failure to decock, etc.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Re: ??? Question re V-spring under left grip of PT-92 ???

The paper clip looking spring? I think that is the safery/decocker lever spring...

With the gun laying on its right sight muzzle pointing left the spring installed should look like this

/
_ /
/ /
/__/

if that makes any sense :p

·
Administrator
17,925 Posts

That Spring is the Safety/Decocker Lever Return Spring that returns the Safety/Decocker Lever to the Fire Position after Thumb Pressure is released on the Safety/Decocker Lever, after the Decocking Operation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

It springs back up about 90% WITHOUT that spring.

It's part # 3.31 - 'Safety Spring'.

Please click here for similar discussion I brought, with photos:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=312704

Common sense might tell one that the entire spring should be situate in the recess. Can anyone say for sure that that is the way to go? If it is, I will try to hold it there AND attach the left grip.

Update: Spoke to Taurus. The so-called bushing must be separated from the top grip screw. The bushing apparently keeps the spring in place in its recess.

I went to Harbor Freight for assistance but noone could separate the bushing. They said it was 'pressed on'. They tried it with needle-nose pliers and a screwdriver to no avail. I certainly appreciated their attempts and bought the needle-nose pliers anyway.

Help!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Question re V-spring under left grip of PT-92 HELP!!!

I had the same problem with my PT92, removed the grip and the spring flew out. I found the spring, but couldn't get it to stay on the pistol. Then someone told me about the bushing/keeper still attached to the screw on the the inside of the grip, I didn't even notice. It screws into the frame and the grip screw goes into it. (it shouldn't have came out with the screw) What I did was put the grip back on, snugged the top screw, then took the screw back out. This time the keeper stayed where it belonged, screwed into the frame. Then I removed the keeper, (its head is slotted), put the spring back, then reinstalled the keeper then the grips.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

jlentz--

I'm having a bit of difficulty following.

Please click on the link above to another thread where I have posted pics. As far as the top left grip screw, there is a washer (bushing?) attached to it.

If I screw the top part of the grip into the frame, how do I back out the screw and have the bushing remain? They seem to be as one...

Are you also saying that the bushing itself screws into the frame independent of the screw?

Do my photos correctly depict the screw and bushing? Are they missing something?

Does the spring fully situate upon the recess?

Was your problem rectified?

Kindly be a bit more specific if you could. You may be the one to help me solve this-for which I will be 'eternally grateful'. :)

·
Administrator
17,925 Posts

Safety Spring is a nice short name for it, but it still is a Safety/Decocker Lever Return Spring!

On the last Pic you have posted on that other website, you have the spring positioned, mostly right, except that the end towards the decocker goes INTO the internal V shaped recess IN the Decocker Lever, and when pressed into place the Decocker Return Spring WILL lie flat against the Frame. Just snap that spring end in and above that lower foot on the decocker. You have about 1/8 of an inch in the upwards direction to go with it!

As for the Grip Screw Bushings and screws, you'll just have to screw them along with the Screws back into the frame, along with the Grip Panels. That would be the least expensive way around things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

jwc--

Thank you for responding.

So one is basically left with the entire V-spring in the recess.

jlentz has made it clear to me that the bushing attached to the upper left grip screw-that bushing screws into the frame independently of the grip screw.

Problem is that I can not separate the bushing from the screw.

I was going to screw the bushing into the frame while holding the V-spring into its recess, then place the grip over it and screw the upper part of the left grip into the bushing (which in turn is screwed into the frame)

Since I can not separate the screw from its bushing, the task is probably too difficult to do. I'll try it with the spring compressed into its recess, but it would seem a lot easier to first secure it in its recess by the screw-in bushing alone, and then put on the grip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM OF Question re V-spring under left grip of PT-92 HELP!!!

I'd like to thank all for contributing, especially recent contributions by jlentz here on the taurus armed. net forum.

Here is the explanation and solution to the problem:

The left grip has two screws.

The lower screw is a regular grip screw which screws the lower part of the left grip into the lower part of the frame.

The upper screw is attached to a bushing. The bushing looks like a washer.

As to the left upper screw/bushing combination:

The screw actually screws into the bushing, and the bushing screws into the frame.

If you have removed the left grip and that V-spring comes ajar, you must-in this order, situate that V-spring in its recess AND screw that bushing alone into the frame. That will hold the V-spring in place.

If, as I experienced when I removed the left grip, the entire unit, e.g., the left upper grip screw and its bushing remain together, you must separate the two. If you are lucky, when you remove the left grip the bushing will remain screwed into the frame and will just have the grip and its upper left screw in your hand.

In my situation, and because when I unscrewed the upper screw the bushing remained with the grip screw, I merely pushed the flat part of the screw through the grip. I then had the unit-the screw attached to the bushing.

Then attach to a vise or whatever and unscrew the screw from the bushing.

Insert the spring into its recess, hold it there, then screw the bushing only on to the frame. Once secure, then attach the upper part of the grip and screw the grip screw through the grip and into the bushing.

As an aside-unfortunately-the bushing threads became stripped in my attempts to solve this problem. I will have to ask Taurus to send me an additional bushing.

Had the Taurus owner's manual cautioned me that by removing the left grip I might encounter this problem, I would not have removed it in the first place. So-beware-unless you intend to change to a Hogue or other grip, I would advise not removing the left grip at all.

Hope this helps someone.

Update: Contrary to above, I was able to seat the spring after gluing in my stripped bushing.

Your normal, unstripped bushing can be screwed in and you can thereafter seat the spring so that edge slips under the overhang.

Gun now seems to have a bit more bounce to the decocker/safety, also seems a bit more stable, and flipping safety up to cock and lock position is more solidly established.

I may be wrong, but I believe the benefit of the V-spring lies in securely establishing the manual safety up into cock and lock and down. If you look at the decocker mechanism you will understand better what I mean. The protrusion actually rides along extended edge of the spring when going up and down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts