Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to mount a reflex sight onto my PT92AF slide. These mount by removing the rear sight and wedging the mount into the dovetail. I was under the impression that the plate from a Beretta would work fine. But alas, the Taurus rear dovetail seems wider than Beretta's. It looks like the Taurus slot is about 0.030" to 0.050".

So now I'm on the hunt for a mounting plate which will fit my Taurus . . . any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I've used steel shim stock to fit sights into dovetails that they were not designed for. They have been holding well. One of them is a rifle style scout mount for an old Marlin .45-70 that is not drilled and tapped. They make brass and plastic shim stock, but I wouldn't trust them to hold up under the load. Also, 680 Loctite will swell up and fill any tiny gaps if used when pressing the base with a shim. Acetone will dissolve it if needing to do a fix, or about 400 degrees. The advantage of the 680 is that you can put it on the bottom as well. So it can push up and to the sides. What ever you do, do not use this on screws, especially small ones. 680 is designed to restore press fit applications.

There are some bases that have a separate dovetail piece. Ebay had one that was selling well about a year ago. You had to specify the dovetail, and they provided the part. One of them you could reshape if it is oversized.

Maloy

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I don't know if this is of any help.
Several decades ago I bought a chi-com M14 rifle.
When I shot it, hit a couple of feet high at 100 yards. I couldn't get the sights adjusted to the point of impact.
I ended up buying a front sight for the M1 Garand because it was taller. Unfortunately the slot was bigger on the rifle.
What I ended up doing was adding a thin piece of metal to fill the gap. It was still there when I sold the rifle 15 years later.
It allowed me shoot to point of aim.

·
Super Moderator
38,045 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
1 - 8 of 8 Posts