Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used PT-99AF at a local gun show. The gun had minor rust flecking on the slide, which I have cleaned up. However, the rear sight will not adjust for windage (elevation adjustment is okay). The windage screw will turn, but the sight blade does not move. It appears that the previous owner locktited or glued (!!) either the rear sight screw or sight blade.

I tried unscrewing the windage screw and moving the sight blade - no luck. When the screw is backed out, there is a tiny spring visible. Are there any other parts hidden in there? How much trouble would it be to replace the internal parts and what parts will I need? Can thi be done without totally removing the rear sight from the slide? Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
First, I would try soaking the rear of the slide in solvent (kerosene) if possible to loosen things up. If that does not help, then the adjustment screw may be stripped out. Then you will have to replace the rear sight and you will have to be careful doing that, as the rear sight retains the Automatic Firing Pin Lock. When drifting the Rear Sight off the slide, from left to right, the last 1/4 inch of travel releases the Firing Pin Lock, and it will launch parts into nevertobefoundville, if you are not careful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.