Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks...please help. If anyone has had experience with this, I would be wholly grateful if you could get me out of this jam (pun intended). While disassembling my PT145 on Sunday to clean it, I inadvertently skipped a step during the procedure that now has the slide jammed and unwilling to budge. After the step where you turn the disassembly pin clockwise to the 6 o'clock position, I forgot to release the slide lock to disengage the pin. Instead, I removed the pin without releasing the slide. As a result, the slide is now stuck/locked/frozen in place. I back tracked through the owners manual and found a section toward the back of the booklet called "Advice" which recommended depressing the ejection port to get the slide to move. Alas, this did not solve the problem. I am now fearful that I did some serious damage to the pistol. As it stands today, I have a really nice $300 paper weight with only 100 rounds through it. I am hoping that someone has encountered this issue and can offer some guidance that will allow me to fix it without having to return it to Taurus. :'(

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
pop the mag out and try to release the slide - I think it should release. If not, put the mag back in and try to get it to lock back on the mag, then work the pin back in, on top of the little wire.

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well...the PT145 is off to see the wizard. :( I tried everything that was suggested, but no luck. After nearly cutting off my thumb trying to get that darn pin ontop of the wire, I finally conceded the fight and just decided to ship it back. I was also starting to scratch up the frame pretty good where the pin sits, so I just gave in. The more I think about this, the more I am starting to believe that something more serious happened to the pistol. Even though I acknowledge skipping the step where you unlock the slide to release the disassembly pin, I am still having a hard time believing that missing such a thing could render the pistol so useless. Anyway, I shipped it UPS yesterday with a prepaid return shipping label, the work order, and an emptry magazine - just like Taurus specified. Hopefully, it will turn out to not be anything I did wrong. I am fairly confident, given what everyone has said, that Taurus will take care of it for me. We'll see.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
They'll take care of it.....but don't underestimate the importance of following the steps correctly to disassemble the pistol. My son was breaking down his 24/7 Pro 9mm to clean it, and he forgot the last step right before pulling the slide off, which is to pull the trigger on an empty chamber. He didn't do this, and just pulled the slide right off - and the striker pin retainer sheared in half. Had to send the slide back into Taurus to have them fix it, which took about weeks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
AH MAN this sends a shiver down my spine. I have a PT145 coming and this thread reminds me of the nightmare I had field stripping my Ruger Mark III 22/45 pistol. Couldn't get the mainspring housing open.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
It happens. Taurus will make it right.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Oh geez .. a little late, but I have a solutuion to the problem. You can take the cap off of the firing pin, reach int here with a pick and release what it's getting hung on. I can't remember and I can't take pics since I've sold my MilPro, but it's something on the right side of the slide if I remember right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry everyone for not posting a reply sooner. I did the receive the little pistol back after about five weeks. The gunsmith noted that the slide and extractor was "adjusted". Not exactly sure to what extent the nature of the adjustment was, but everything appears to check out mechanically now. I haven't had a chance to run it at the range, yet...but, I am confident that everything is A-OK. One point of contention with the whole process involved the shipping procedures. Taurus' instructions for returning a product for warranty work is explained on their website, though somewhat cryptically. They state that, quote..."All firearms must be shipped prepaid to our factory in Miami, Florida for repair, and must be accompanied by a Work Order." I took this to mean that the shipping had to be pre-paid going and coming. To my dismay, the gun was returned via Fed-Ex paid for by Taurus after I had pre-paid return shipping through UPS. I called Taurus about how this was not clear on the website and they ensured me that they would address that and make it clear for future customers. As of this posting, the instructions still have not been updated or clarified. I thought that this would be helpful to anyone of you who may have to send anything back for repair. It wasn't a big deal, but I would have preferred to not have wasted my money with UPS if I would have known that tid-bit of info ahead of time. Another piece of "nice-to-know" info is that the "Service Response System" is not active yet. They are still working on getting it functional. When its complete, you will be able to enter your pre-log work order number into the field and get a status update for your weapon. It will be a nice feature when it's up-and-running, but for now we'll have to wait a bit. Again, it would have been nice to know that ahead of time without me having to call in to find that out. :bang:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:mad: That's it. I am officially burying my faith in the PT-145 (at least the particular one I bought). After going through the frustration of having the slide lock up on me during dis-assembly, the pain of shipping the pistol back to Taurus, waiting for the repairs, and then getting back a note that the "slide and extractor" had been "adjusted". I now find myself right back where I started. After running about 100 rounds through the "repaired" pistol at the range, I sat down this morning to try dis-assembling the gun (once again) to give it a good cleaning. I reviewed the procedures in detail and even followed a step-by-step video with the weapon in my hand just to make sure I didn't screw up. The first time, I beat myself up pretty good thinking it was something I did wrong, even though, I personally own 8 different semi-autos from various manufacturers and haven't had a glitch with any until this thing came into my life. This time, I can say with absolute certainty that I followed the instructions to a "T". By now, you can probably guess that the slide locked up again and refused to budge. In the beginning, I didn't believe that it was possible for someone to actually end up with a "$300 paperweight", but not anymore. After relieving myself of $300 dollars worth of frustration with a 5 lb maul, my buddy now has a couple of extra mags for his 145 and I have peace of mind knowing once-and-for-all that this thing is out of my life. What a piece of sh*t I ended up with. Good luck to everyone else who carries this thing. I'm off to pick up a new Springfield or S&W to CC. I'm done.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Perhaps before you come on here posting about how bad the gun sucks and how bad Taurus sucks, and what a piece of shit you have on your hands, you should learn how to operate it and how to field strip it. Don't hold you're ignorance against someone who has nothing to do with it.

The slide can be released, but judging by your lack of understanding and lack of patience, you should probably go ahead and do yourself a favor and get rid of it.

I can't remember exactly how, but taking the cap off the back of the slide that covers the firing pin, you can reach a small pick in there to release what is stuck.

It should go without saying, make sure the gun is empty, no mag and no round in the chamber.

Now ... the step you're missing is dry firing the gun in the middle of you field stripping. You lock the slide back, pull the take down pin out, manually let the slide go to rest position, squeeze and hold the trigger. While holding the trigger puch the slide the rest of the way off.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
If your really not happy with it i'll give ya $100. bucks for it take it off your hands

·
Registered
417 Posts
sounds like the same kind of idiot who threw his hi-point in the river because it was such a piece of junk ...when it has the same kind of warranty as Taurus :loco:

Some people are not mechanically inclined enough to own a firearm :mad:

·
Super Moderator
21,805 Posts
Do yourself a favor and carry the Maul you'll be safer and so will everyone else!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Flyer said:
Now ... the step you're missing is dry firing the gun in the middle of you field stripping. You lock the slide back, pull the take down pin out, manually let the slide go to rest position, squeeze and hold the trigger. While holding the trigger puch the slide the rest of the way off.
On mine you squeeze the trigger and then slightly let up. The slide will come free when you hit the sweet spot.

Sarge

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tried to make it clear that I was talking about my particular pistol, but I guess autosurgeon and 45 Forever read like I follow instructions :rolleyes:. Regardless, I sincerely wish everyone luck with their 145s...it's just not what I was expecting given the overall positive experiences that other folks have had with the little pistol. Despite the lifetime warranty and the potential easy fixes, I had no interest in returning the pistol to Taurus for a second time for the exact same issue. Regardless of how you want to color it, that's unacceptable for any product - whether it's a pistol or a leaf blower. I would much prefer to own a weapon with no warranty that works as advertised, than one with a lifetime warranty that doesn't. In my thirty-odd years of shooting, I have never had trouble like this with any of my Rugers, Colts, S&Ws, or (for that matter) the PT1911 I bought a couple of months ago. Regardless of my perceived "mechanical inepititude" by the esteemed panel, if I am going to depend on a pistol to possibly save my life one day, I need to be able to have supreme confidence in every aspect of its design and performance. If I am unable to, then carrying the maul isn't a bad option after all. Unlike the boneheads that bash Taurus without even owning one, my receipt says I have 300 + reasons to express my displeasure about getting stuck with a lemon. Again, my apologies for posting a negative comment and messing up the circle-jerk.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts