Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a new Lee 2 cavity mold in 45 acp. Cleaned with alkeehall, lubed with beez wax and smoked it. Problem is I keep getting balls of soot in the cavities. Ive recleaned and resmoked to the same results. Ive never had this happen before. Any advice from you more experienced reloaders?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
The idea of "smoking" a mold has never appealed to me. I tried it once over 30 years ago and didn't like it, never again. Scrub it good with dish detergent and hot water, rinse well, do it again with alcohol. Make sure it is clean and dry and go try it again. Then, if you still get defects, clean it some more and then preheat the mold before casting. I set my molds close to the coil of my hot plate while my Lee bottom pour is heating. Try this with any variations that may help, casting is far from an exacting process, but the smoking; I consider that a bad advice tip. Try it, good luck.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
As said above, no need to smoke an aluminum mold. Clean it well and don't put any lube of any kind in the mold or face of the mold. I sometime will put some on the sprue plate pivot. The old smoking thing was used more for sticky cast iron molds and I've had to do that on some older ones.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
How is it working out. The mold should be dropping good bullets by now. Bring us up to date, please.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cleaned it like you recommended and shes performing like a champ now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Good to hear!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just another reason to quit smoking...moulds work better. I have had the same results. Also stopped using that spray-on mould release, the graphite stuff that supposed to cure what smoking can't...it just messes up your moulds. Really clean is all you need.

Gary

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
If a cavity or both cavities are reluctant to release a bullet, you can screw a screw into the base of a bullet and and then coat the bullet with toothpaste and turn the bullet in the cavity. It will polish all the casting surfaces and remove any burrs that hang onto the bullet. Sometimes it takes several bullets as the bullets are softer than the mold. Clean it good and try it again. I have done steel and aluminum molds that way.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
If a cavity or both cavities are reluctant to release a bullet, you can screw a screw into the base of a bullet and and then coat the bullet with toothpaste and turn the bullet in the cavity. It will polish all the casting surfaces and remove any burrs that hang onto the bullet. Sometimes it takes several bullets as the bullets are softer than the mold. Clean it good and try it again. I have done steel and aluminum molds that way.

I have a Lee 6-cavity mold that has one cavity that sticks, I'll try this. Thanks....

·
Registered
34 Posts
+1 on the anti-smoking the mould

My bullets don't tend to drop freely, but a whack on the pivot with a Harbor Freight plastic mallet solves that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts