Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a AR15 8.5" 300 black out pistol. If I wanted a 5.56 complete upper, what do I look for? Does it have to be 8.5", etc etc?

Here's a pic of the pistol I recently purchased, and like a lot!

Thank you

·
Premium Member
11,126 Posts
Technically it doesn't HAVE to be a pistol upper. There are plenty of online sellers that will have what you're looking for and since the upper is not a serialized part, you can have it sent straight to your door. I'd stick to 5.56 or .223 Wylde. Something with a blast diverter instead of a muzzle break will make for more enjoyable range time. You can use the same BCG as your 300 Blk, but eventually I'd recommend getting one for each upper. Enjoy.

·
Administrator
35,399 Posts
To me, the quad rail on the foregrip is the most functional part of any AR-15. If you have that, you can do just about anything you want with one.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Technically it doesn't HAVE to be a pistol upper. There are plenty of online sellers that will have what you're looking for and since the upper is not a serialized part, you can have it sent straight to your door. I'd stick to 5.56 or .223 Wylde. Something with a blast diverter instead of a muzzle break will make for more enjoyable range time. You can use the same BCG as your 300 Blk, but eventually I'd recommend getting one for each upper. Enjoy.
But it probably should be a pistol upper, CJS3? I would have a blade instead of a stock on a carbine length rifle so that could be a problem, I guess.

·
Premium Member
11,126 Posts
I have 7.5 inch uppers for my pistol because that's what fits in the case.

20190609_093515.jpg

If you do get a 16 inch upper, yes you can use it, but all that will really happen is that you'll come to the determination that you reallyreallyreallyreally NEED that rifle lower.

:???: OMG I really am an enabler.

·
Registered
36,445 Posts
Just be ready for a LOOOOT more noise and flash if you go with a 556 pistol length than you are getting with the 300, especailly when shooting Sub speed 300 BO.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, co-dependency is one of my favorite terms, CJS. Thanks for your advice. I ordered a 10.5" 5.56 complete pistol upper from Bear Creek last night. Also have mags and ammo coming in for the 300 blackout and the 5.56!! I ordered the 5.56 pistol upper just because the AR15 plat form makes it sooooo freaking easy. Yes, I have good ear protection and will use the 5.56 only at the range, the 300 subsonics are for home defense. There has to be a 12 Step program assigned to this site, right?

·
Registered
36,445 Posts
LOL, co-dependency is one of my favorite terms, CJS. Thanks for your advice. I ordered a 10.5" 5.56 complete pistol upper from Bear Creek last night. Also have mags and ammo coming in for the 300 blackout and the 5.56!! I ordered the 5.56 pistol upper just because the AR15 plat form makes it sooooo freaking easy. Yes, I have good ear protection and will use the 5.56 only at the range, the 300 subsonics are for home defense. There has to be a 12 Step program assigned to this site, right?
certainly the addiction meeting and step process is the third Saturday of each month at Hooters in McDonough , Ga. don't get confused and show up on the second Saturday unless you bring a 1911, that's when we have those meetings!

Reactions: vboy36

·
Super Moderator
36,371 Posts
What raises the hair on the back of my neck is the use of the same magazines for both .223 and 300 BLK. It would make for a very bad day to load a magazine with ammo from the latter into the former.

I've yet to spray paint magazines to dedicate one for a specific caliber and one for the other. I bought ASC 20 round mags intending to use them solely for the 300 BLK but cannot get them to load and feed properly.

Good luck with your .223 pistol.. I bought a Combat Armory for my pistol lower and haven't warmed up to it yet.

Reactions: Pandaz3 and vboy36

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
LOL, I warned you about those 20 round mags.

You can paint the bottom plate on the mag to let you know which ones are for your 5.56mm. Generally, I can pick up a mag loaded with 300BLK subs and tell by the weight. Also, PMags are not good with the .300BLK, but excellent with 5.56mm. Just run the PMags with the 5.56mm to avoid confusion. ETS and Lancer make translucent magazines so you can see the rounds in the mag, which takes the confusion out of it. Many ways to skin this cat.

·
Registered
36,445 Posts
Yea, at the price of AR mags I gots a bunch of them.
got the 300 BO mags marked both on the bottom floorplate and on both sides .
course i do have a bad habit of taking the wrong mag for the right gun, IE" 45 acp mags for a 38 Super!!!---DUUUUHHHH!
I have very few mags loaded ,(300 BO, CZ P-01, Sg 365)-- the 300 BO mags are loaded (3) but not the 556. so its kind of a indication of whats going into what.
for range time I got plenty of time to look through them, maybe not in a SHTF situation.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,012 Posts
When CDNN has another sale on the RED AR mags, I plan to pick up several, strictly for 300 BO.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Personally, I would stay away from the C-Products and ASC AR mags. There are just so many top quality GI aluminium mags out there for under $10 each that it makes little sense to go with an off brand. If you are not sure what the top brands are for GI mags, try D&H, OKay, CheckMate, and Brownells. Make sure you either get the new FDE MILSPEC foller, or the MagPul follower. You can always spray a little color with Hi-Temp Auto Exhaust paint, or stencil your caliber on the tube.

Now if you are looking for plastic AR mags, the MagPul works well with the 5.56mm, but does not play well with the .300BLK. Lancer plays well with all AR calibers except 6.5 Grendel/.264LBC and 6.8 Rem. I use my Lancer Mags for my .458 SOCOM and have never had any issues.

I have not used the ETS AR mags, but I have used their Glock mags and love them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Magpul now makes mags for 300 BO, and besides painting the mags there are a lot of companies that sell what look like heavy rubber bands that are printed with whatever caliber you have loaded in the mags. I haven't tried the mags yet, but I've never had an issue with my 5.56 mags.

·
Registered
36,445 Posts
Magpul now makes mags for 300 BO, and besides painting the mags there are a lot of companies that sell what look like heavy rubber bands that are printed with whatever caliber you have loaded in the mags. I haven't tried the mags yet, but I've never had an issue with my 5.56 mags.

ahh yea!
and now my question??
A solution in search of a problem to solve??--this is in regard to a 300 BO mag, what exactly is the difference in the 223/556 and the 300 BO mags?

·
Super Moderator
36,371 Posts
ahh yea!
and now my question??
A solution in search of a problem to solve??--this is in regard to a 300 BO mag, what exactly is the difference in the 223/556 and the 300 BO mags?
None at all, except that the Magpul and some other poly mags were reported to split or get wider at the top when larger calibers than .223 were used. I've not seen it yet, but haven't fired a lot of 300 BLK in my early Magpul mags. Come to think of that..I need to get out there more with it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36,445 Posts
I was wondering because the only thing that i can see that comes into play with the 300 used in a 556 mag is the case , so as thats the same diamter as the 556 cases i just couldn;t see the reason other than "Build IT and they will come--Buy it"

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,012 Posts
I had some plasticfantastic mags, 45 round as I recall, that I stored as I do all of my mags. FULL! When I return a few days later, 365 +, they would not enter the mag well. I emptied them, manually :( and gave them away. I’ve never bought a nonmetallic mag since.
Maybe they have changed processes or materials, I don’t know, nor will I find out.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The MagPuls and many other plastic mags run into trouble with the .300BLK on the bullet end. The ogive on many of the subsonic and a few of the supersonic bullets is too wide for these plastic magazines. Plastic is always thicker than metal in magazines. The outside has to stay pretty much the same to fit in the magwell, that leaves the interior of the magazine for the thicker plastic. On the aluminium magazine tubes, there are strengthening ribs so the mags don't warp. On many of the plastic magazines, like the MagPuls, those ribs are too thick to allow double stacks of cartridges with the ogive further forward than the 5.56mm to feed reliably. I have even run into the same problem with my .458 SOCOM, even though it is a single stack use of the AR magazine.

The MagPuls are actually, IMO, a stronger magazine than the GI aluminium magazine when used with 5.56mm, but its interior is not MILSPEC, and therefore it runs into trouble with other calibers that run fine in a MILSPEC magazine. Yes, many plastic magazines are susceptible to splitting at the feed lips. That is why MagPul mags thickened those interior ribs and supply dust covers with their mags. Storing your loaded MagPuls with the dust cover on will prevent them from splitting. All AR magazines are somewhat susceptible to splitting at the feed lips, just some more than others.

Now, I like Lancer plastic magazines because their magazine feed lips are metal, which allows them to stay very close to MILSPEC interior dimensions and you can get them in translucent (see through) colors. Other people must have the same opinion of them as me because when you can find them they are almost always a little more expensive than other plastic magazines. I have many AR GI magazines, but every plastic AR mag I have is a Lancer.

As long as the magazine tube does not have metal fatigue around the feed lips, and/or the spots welds on the front and back seams are not broken, you can rebuild a GI aluminium magazine. Just strip the old finish off, knock out any dents and paint with high temp paint. Replace out of date followers with MagPul or new MILSPEC FDE follower. I have never had to replace a spring.

·
Super Moderator
36,371 Posts
I got the 7.5" 5.56 pistol out again today. I had extraction issues on the first outing and wondered if it was the NiBR slab side BCG that might be the issue. It was truly a PITA to have to keep digging out the brass. I swapped out to a mil spec BCG today and it ran flawlessly for 60 rounds. It has the mini KAK flash can on it and on some rounds the flash was blinding. The KAK Shockwave was literally a pain in the shoulder...I may have to break down and buy an SB brace. Also the mil spec trigger is not good for a short barrel gun like that. I also might be in the market for a 3.5# drop in trigger for that lower...or may try the shade tree fluff and buff on the mil spec.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts