Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I’m glad to finally say I both purchased my first revolver today and my first Taurus.

I went back and fourth (and back/fourth over and over...) about if I should get the Taurus but I learned a long time ago not to listen to the crowd (which recently seems to have no love for Taurus).

Anyway, I don’t pick up the revolver until Wednesday but I have a few quick questions to ask:
I ordered the 856029 (stainless matte version) and picked this one because it seemed to be the heavier version (at 22 oz.) vs the ultralights. Was I correct (I’m okay either way)?

I can’t seem to find a definitive answer: are grips that are made for the model 85 compatible with this version of the 856? If not, can you guys tell me which grips are compatible? Also, is it difficult to remove and replace grips (I read that it isn’t typical screw system and involves pins, but don’t hold me to that)?
Finally, can anyone recommend their go-to Ammo for lighter recoil (for long bouts at range) but good enough to stop evildoers?

Thanks again, guys. I’m already looking at the Taurus 1911s and I have been keeping my eyes peeled for the white polymer model 85 (since discontinued) to come around at a reasonable price on gunbroker (for some reason, the coloring/body of that revolver just look good to me—well, without the “zombie” green grips, that is).

Thanks again. Sorry to make my first post filled with questions. I’m looking forward to reading/learning and hopefully eventually answering questions and paying it forward for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I think your choice of the heavier model was good. The recoil on the lighter weight versions can be unpleasant.
Removing the grips can be an unpleasant experience at best, so unless you are planning to change the grips, don't mess with them.
I think there was a thread a few years ago on how to remove that type of grip.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Didn't I read somewhere that Taurus and Rossi merged?
Is this really a new Taurus model - or is it a relabeling of the Rossi 462?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Alexhol1970! I can't say definitely that the 85/856 grips are compatible but it "appears" so. If you look up grips on ebay the 85's and 856's are in the same ballpark. There are ads saying one fits the other. Someone will come along with a definite answer. In looking at the TaurusUSA store, outside of the Viridian laser grips, Taurus doesn't seem to offer a 856 grip. And with their small frame revolver grips, no 856 option is mentioned. Crazy!

I put on Hogue rubber grips (3 finger) on my two 85's and it was rather simple. Yet as I looked at the reviews, some folks got bogged down in the replacement procedure. If you can change the oil in your Grandma's Geo Metro you'll do fine.

I'm a fan of the lightweight 38's. I reload so I can't say what brand ammo is the "best". I have a 12 oz. Charter Arms that presents no recoil issues at all.

There are Taurus naysayers but you did good. Welcome to the Taurus family! And as time goes on, you'll want to add to your beginning collection. Keep your eye out for a circa 2000 85 Titanium ultralite. They're ported and come in several different colors. Very nice revolvers.

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had the same thoughts as you Sir when I was looking to purchase my 856. After carrying a NAA 22lr for many years and very satisfied with the weight of the little revolver I was still worried that if I did have to use it, Lord forbid that I would still be handicapped by the smaller caliber. I have shot ultra lights before and realize the recoil is a little more than a steel version. The lighter weight of the 856 UL satisfied my carry needs. I also was able to pick up a nice steel 85 model for my nightstand gun. Either way you defiantly picked a good gun and I know you didn't break the bank doing it.

·
22,290 Posts
Hi Alex, welcome to the forum! Answering questions is what we're here for, right up there with debating the best fast food chicken (Popeye's, if you're wearing the right padding), Ford vs Chevy (Ford, obviously), revolver vs semiauto (it depends), Gibson vs. Fencer (SRV answered that for us) and paddles vs. manual transmission (manual, but boy, the paddle shift JCW we just got almost has me reevaluating).

Anyway, back to your questions. First of all, good for you not listening to the crowd. I took a deep breath when I bought my first Taurus, a TCP. I now own a lot of them, and have even given them as gifts or loaned one when my daughter had a stalker. They've laid a few eggs, but they've also made some industry-changing guns and all of mine are keepers.

The stainless will weigh more than the UL, absolutely. That will mean more comfortable shooting, and for a lot of shooters, steadier hold. Weight stabilizes. Personally, I like heavy carry guns. The only gun I've ever thought might weigh too much is an all steel double stack 1911 that holds 15 rounds. The ammunition in that one probably weighs more than my non-View M85.

I've been asking about the grips too. I'd say just buy a grip for an 85 and find out for yourself. Just let us know, okay? Then you'll be the guy answering some questions! And as for the grips being difficult, I've never heard that. I've taken the grips off of several Taurus revolvers, and it's trivial. Maybe I'm missing something...

My go-to for light recoil but effective is a bit unconventional. Hornaday make some light recoil defensive .38 rounds. Try those. But in an all-steel revolver, recoil won't be too bad with anything. The FBI had good results with lead semi-wadcutter +P hollowpoints in 158 grain. That's what I'd carry. Or any 158 grain hollowpoint, actually. Try them out and see what you think of the recoil. Handgun effectiveness is about mass/momentum. Heavier bullets are better, within reason.

Hope you find a PT1911 and white M85 soon! Again, welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
36,010 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois! I don't have an 856, but recently got a 605 in exchange for my Rossi 462-2. While the newer version of the Taurus Combat grips are very good, I wanted something a bit more distinctive so bought some wood grips off a seller in Thailand. If the 856 has the new style roll pin securing the grip, it's no big deal. I don't have a gunsmith block to I used a chunk of hardwood flooring to raise it off the bench and used a punch that is smaller than the hole in the rubber grip so you don't booger up the grip for later. The punch must be larger than the center hole in the roll pin so it doesn't ride inside. A couple of good raps with a hammer and the pin drives out the other side. Reinstalling it should be simple also. Good luck with your new handgun...I am liking the 605 a lot.

Welcome again!

Reactions: MississippiYankee

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome Alexholl1970!

I have both an 85 and an 856 UL, and if you are talking about the rubber boot grips, they are absolutely interchangeable. It's not difficult at all to change them - just punch out the pin at the bottom of the grip and pull them off. Save the pin for the new grips unless they come with one already. Note that the old pin may be a little too long for 2-piece wood grips and may have to be cut a little for proper fit.

I regripped both of mine with the wood grips from the Taurus site. Didn't like the varnish they came with, so I refinished them with some Danish oil. Scorched the set for the 856 with a torch so they'd match the black finish of the 856.

They both shoot great and true - really a pleasure. Glad you ignored the anti-Taurus blowhards out there - these weapons are top notch.

I use a 158 grain semi wadcutter FBI load) as defense ammo, and its recoil is extremely manageable. For target, the 158 grain jacketed ball rounds (standard velocity) are a little hotter, but still not bad.

Hope you enjoy your new piece!

·
Registered
35 Posts
You made the correct choice with the heavier 856 stainless revolver. You will appreciate that extra weight when shooting it. The model 85 grips will work with your model 856. Here is a video showing you how to use a hammer and punch to remove the pin that holds the grips on the gun:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have the heavy 856 but not the stainless one. It shoots great and I think it is becasue is it heavier steel rather than the lighter alloy. I don't find a need to change the grips. The steel 856 is within 2 ounces of my 605.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts