Votes: 31 64.6%
  • Other (see post)

Votes: 6 12.5%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup! That time of the week - time for some caliber wars! Last one for 2014.

Looking to add another deer hunting rifle to the collection. I've (the wifoid actually) got a Tikka in .243 and a lever action 30-30. Looking to add a bolt action in either of the calibers above. Have it narrowed down to a T/C Venture with the nice Weather Shield finish that they make.

Things to consider for me: Recoil (since the wifoid might shoot this) and ammo availability/price (since I do not reload ATM). Is there any real difference between the recoil of these two rounds?

More importantly, will the 308 do anything that the 7mm-08 can't? Or the other way around..?

·
10,379 Posts
Personally, the felt recoil on the 7mm-08 is less than the .308 in a bolt action when I've shot 'em. IIRC the 7mm-08 is also a flatter shooting round, but, it's been so long since I've stretched either of em any distance I wouldn't swear to it.

My go to rifle is a Savage .270 bolt action, which will take anything in North America, so both of the calibers you listed are fine choices.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I like them both. I chose the 7mm-08 for less recoil, either one would do a fine job.

Reactions: shiftace

·
Registered
19,189 Posts
Look for a Model 99 Savage in .308, levers are much better for deer and the .308 is a good lever action round....plus, the 99 Savage is just plain suuuweeeeet and a great all around rifle.

Reactions: jwc007 and shiftace

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I soot and carry the .308 when a 30-30 or .44 carbine might not have what I need for the game. I really don't think there are many appreciable differences in calibers until you get down to the .260. I have a .308 that is smaller and lighter than my wife's .270. and a lot of .243s I've handled, but it kicks me less because it fits me better. So much of what people complain about in recoil in the 30-06 and less spectrum is due to bad technique and bad fit. Get the wrong stock and a bad fit and any of them can hurt.

If I were buying a new rifle just for deer around here I'd be very tempted by the .260 in a light carbine if recoil were an issue. I like light carbines and they do not give up a heck of a lot at the distances most hunters are actually able to make reliable hits at.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Go to the gun shop or outfitter that you buy the most ammo from .

Look at what they have in stock for 7mm-08 and .308

Which one does he have a better price on, better variety and style in.

Make your choice on weather you will be shooting the ammo you need or wanting the ammo you need

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I would go with the 7-08 cartridge. I have both and the 7-08 has significantly less recoil. I have permanent damage to both my shoulders and any more than a few shots with the 308 sends me to a doctor for shots. Whereas the 7-08 I can go through a couple of boxes before the pain sets in. The 7-08 is also a great pistol cartridge, better that the 308.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Easy IMHO - .308

Look at Walmart, your LGS and on line. IF a vendor has 7mm-08 they will have many more choices in .308 and the .308 will cost less.

If recoil is an issue (there's not much difference) there are several managed recoil loads for the .308 that are fine deer rounds.

7mm-08 is somewhat of a niche round. Any hunting or target round available in 7mm-08 will be there in .308 too with several options to choose from. Plus, there are many low cost (blasting) .308 options out there. Being a military round gives the .308 a HUGE advantage.

Something I noticed the other day. Compare the number of bullets available in 7mm (99) vs .308 (255):

Rifle Bullets | Bullets | Reloading Supplies

This is not to disparage the 7mm-08 as it is a fine, capable cartridge. Just be prepared to pay more and have fewer options available, even if (when) you start reloading.

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
Around these parts either ammo is easy to find and plenty of variation in weight and type.
Haven't shot but a couple 7MM-08 but couldn't really tell a lot of difference in recoil, weight of the weapon could make this a 0 difference.
as they are both close thats why I went with a 300 Win Mag bolt gun.-----:D

Attachments

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Why not a 20" barreled .223 AR15? or a 6mm, 6.5mm, or 6.8mm AR? recoil on them will be less than a bolt gun.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I agree with what Vaskeet said and the .308 is fatter making a larger entry wound. Take a look at some of the Savage rifle models they usually run rifle/scope combo specials that are reasonably priced. I prefer the stainless barrel with synthetic stock. The button pulled barrels are very accurate.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think the .308 is the more common round with more options availble. Nothing wrong with the 7mm, I just think it's less common.

·
Premium Member
11,232 Posts
Of the two, I'd go with 308. I'm a 30-06 man myself, but 308 will do in a rush.;)

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I'm voting for the 7/08. Both rounds are easy to find here, and while I agree that 308 is more plentiful and plinking rounds for the 308 can be found cheaper, there is enough variation in the 7/08 to find what you want. Premium hunting rounds are going to cost about the same. The 7/08 will have the edge in range and penetration as all thing being equal the 7mm projectile will have a better BC. Also both rounds fired from the same platform, the 7/08 will have less recoil.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
One of these fine calibers should do nicely....

BFG's.jpg

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
If you'll be doing a lot of target shooting, then ammo price matters, but really if it's just for hunting I'm sure you won't go through many rounds unless you somehow miss a lot. Even ammo availability isn't all that important, a box should last you many seasons if you're not also target shooting.

Lower recoil seems to be the biggest bullet point to consider.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts